Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Base 2012 V6

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/16, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base 2012 V6

OK, so I have been reading a lot of forums and unfortunately, most of the time, it is hard to decipher what is going with all the people posting “well I heard this or that, saw this or that” or “my opinion is this or that”. I don’t want this thread to be nothing but arguments on how someone else’s mods are better than yours.

What I am looking for is a good list of Bolt on Parts to really wake up and enhance my V6.

I am at this point in time purchasing primarily Ford parts as I can get them at basically cost.

Right now my plans are:
M-9601-MGT K&N Filter
M-5251-MV6A X-Pipe
M-5230-MV6CA Axel Back Exhaust

I am not sure whether or not I will do a CAI as so many reviews come 50/50 in the debate between CAI vs KNN filter. Only thing that actually comes up here is that some people prefer the sound that comes from the CAI.

I want to stick to bolt on upgrades for now. Once I have those done I will be looking to do more to improve the vehicle. For example, at some point I will more than likely switch out the 2.73 gears with 3.73 gears as I have read performance is better without a large hit to MPG like the 4.10s. Also switching out the drive shaft at some point. I’m not planning on removing the limiter until it is replaced. (please don’t spam this with arguments of the driveshaft being good or bad, I would just rather stay on the safe side and get one that can handle high speeds without a question)

I would appreciate any help with more parts that I can swap out easily, and If you have any information in regards to how the warranty is impacted by non-ford parts and tuning. I’m in Lawrence Kansas if anyone has information on a good crew to work on these cars.

THANK YOU!
Old 2/5/16, 12:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
You're on the right track. You listed everything I would've listed for you. I'd start with exhaust, then 3.73s/driveshaft and tune. After that, intake if you really want to (I haven't in my GT - saving for Cobra Jet setup), or just save up for the Procharger.
Old 2/5/16, 02:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I went with the CAI/TUNE combo first, then axle-back exhaust (It doesn't matter what order you go with except you need the tuner before the gears, ideally. Next is driveshaft and gears. I might replace the mid-pipe and headers next, that's still up for debate. Also, lowering springs might be in the future as well. That's about it, unless you decide to add a power adder later. There's other mods as well, but they do get expensive rather quickly and then you really have to weigh the difference between keeping the V6 or moving up to a V8.
Old 2/5/16, 03:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Remember that your car already has a cold air intake stock. Aftermarket units might be a bit more efficient, but not by a whole lot. Mostly just getting changes in sound.
Old 2/5/16, 05:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
If you are going for the sound Airraid has the modular intake tube that gets rid of the intake silencer.

I would suggest a set of Short Tube Headers for the next group, really help the 3.7 in the low to mid range.
Old 2/11/16, 01:11 PM
GT Member

I have the airaid mod intake tube installed and I like it. The sound is ok and I think the response is a bit better combined with the k&n drop in filter!
Old 2/12/16, 06:57 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You said you want to wake up your v6. If I had to do it all over again with the order of my mods I would get a tune first. Bama at American Muscle has tunes for life so as you upgrade the rest of your car you can get a free tune to match your added mods.

The difference with a tune and the stock tune is like night and day. A tune doesn't have to meet the government regulations like the factory tune does and it will tune the engine the way it should be and give you the acceleration that your car should have and what you want.

I have a CAI but it really didn't make much difference. It only changed the sound of the engine and exhaust. It's a bit high in price just for that.

Good luck
Old 2/13/16, 09:10 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If I may, I'd like to jump in on this convo. I have a 2014 V6 and I'm thinking about headers/midpipes next. I'm thinking about going H-pipe (link below to a catted h-pipe) and then I'm not sure about headers. Do I need to make sure that the mid-pipe is ready for long vs short tube headers? How long are the ones on the car now? I feel like a little bit of a noob about it, but just want to make sure I would get all of the right pieces to fit together the way they should.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/93P...ance-Cats.html

Thanks! BTW..the advice about the CAI is good. I was considering doing one but maybe now I won't and save myself some money. I have the drop-in air filter from K&N. Only reason to get the CAI seems to be the sound. Rather just do a tune if the performance increase is going to come from that and not the combination of the two.
Old 2/14/16, 11:25 AM
GT Member

A good combination is the drop in filter and the airaid modular intake tube. It is not that much about the sound but it gives you the best from both stock/cai. A better airflow with just a little bit of sound. The engine response at low rpm is a bit better than stock, just noticeable, with the everday driveability.
It also looks better than the stock tube, but not the way most cai's do.
Old 2/14/16, 06:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by mkj5013
If I may, I'd like to jump in on this convo. I have a 2014 V6 and I'm thinking about headers/midpipes next. I'm thinking about going H-pipe (link below to a catted h-pipe) and then I'm not sure about headers. Do I need to make sure that the mid-pipe is ready for long vs short tube headers? How long are the ones on the car now? I feel like a little bit of a noob about it, but just want to make sure I would get all of the right pieces to fit together the way they should.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/93P...ance-Cats.html

Thanks! BTW..the advice about the CAI is good. I was considering doing one but maybe now I won't and save myself some money. I have the drop-in air filter from K&N. Only reason to get the CAI seems to be the sound. Rather just do a tune if the performance increase is going to come from that and not the combination of the two.

That H pipe bolts up to the stock exhaust manifolds, which means it will work with Short tube headers.
BTW I consider my CAI a show item, it does look better than the stock air box and its plumbing
Old 2/14/16, 07:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
That H pipe bolts up to the stock exhaust manifolds, which means it will work with Short tube headers.
BTW I consider my CAI a show item, it does look better than the stock air box and its plumbing

The CAI does look good under the hood!!! Worth it in my opinion.
Old 2/25/16, 09:34 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget about suspension mods. LCAs and LCA relocation brackets work wonders for grip, and a nice panhard bar (or even just some poly bushings) is great at tightening up the rear end through the corners. The V6 is also very under-damped, so a good spring, shock/strut setup will make a big difference. Tune, gears, exhaust is the order I recommend. Throw in a CAI before the tune if you think the sound will be a big plus side for you. Check out Cyclone Parts Exchange on Facebook for some great deals on used parts.

Last edited by GatorV6; 2/25/16 at 09:35 AM.
Old 2/25/16, 09:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fiancee had a 2012 V6 auto and put 130k miles on it before trading it in.

Had the following 'performance' mods: Airaid CAI (originally had JLT but it rattled no matter what we did and she liked the look of the Airaid better), Borla ATAK Axle back, and JPC Tune. The tune came last and really was the only thing to make a real difference in performance.

Just my 2cents

*Also added Kona Orange shocks/struts just before trading it in. Now those made a huge difference in ride and handling. Wish we would have done them sooner.

Last edited by 69Mach1-409; 2/25/16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 4/17/16, 07:10 AM
GT Member

I have a stock V6 also. I put in a drop in K&N air filter, but saw no difference except lower gas mileage. Just replaced with a new stock air filter. After doing some research on the internet it seems that K&N filters may not be all they claim to be. Of course a full CAI probably does make a difference, I just doubt that a drop in like I used, really improves the power of the V6.
Old 8/19/16, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just run Premium now, supposedly the 13 v6s will gains a few HP's. Plus premium is the only non-alcohol fuel here in Omaha
The following users liked this post:
Neil0297 (9/23/18)
Old 9/23/18, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’ve had two 3.7 mustangs now and I’d say the the mod that wakes the car up the most is a tune. MPT makes an amazing tune for the 3.7, especially if it’s an auto. Next I’d say a ported intake, if your feeling ambitious you can do it your self in a afternoon with a dremel. Exhaust can help, axle backs won’t give you any gains but will enhance the driving experience. Depending on where you want the gain long or short tube headers are good. Also I’ve got the air aid intake tube with a K&N filter, I could feel a slight increase in the low end.

Right now ive got a 91 performance MPT tune, ported intake, short tube headers, cat delete, Borla ataks, and an intake. It definitely turned it into a whole new car. It pulls way harder in the low end and has a nice deep tone with no rasp.