Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

2014 v6 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/14, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 v6 exhaust

Ok so I'm in between on my exhaust.. I already have the magnaflow competition axle backs. And I know that I want the bbk cermatic shortys 1 because of the low end torque gains and 2 because of the deeper exhaust note. But I Idk which mid pipe to get.. I live in Texas so I have to get a catted mid pipe.. now Idk if it would be even worth it to change out the mid pipe does anyone know how much the bbk high flow cats hp and torque gains are? Or the mrt h catted pipe gains? Now as for sound I really don't want it to sound raspy so I would really appreciate anyone's input. Please
Old 6/12/14, 10:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 14mustang v6
Ok so I'm in between on my exhaust.. I already have the magnaflow competition axle backs. And I know that I want the bbk cermatic shortys 1 because of the low end torque gains and 2 because of the deeper exhaust note. But I Idk which mid pipe to get.. I live in Texas so I have to get a catted mid pipe.. now Idk if it would be even worth it to change out the mid pipe does anyone know how much the bbk high flow cats hp and torque gains are? Or the mrt h catted pipe gains? Now as for sound I really don't want it to sound raspy so I would really appreciate anyone's input. Please
what's the legality of the highflow catted mids? Are you replacing the stock cats with the new midpipe, or are you cutting after the cats?

Personally, if you know you want the shorties, I would get those and see how you like the sound before moving on to the midpipe.
Old 6/18/14, 03:13 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding is the X-Pipe is the most free flowing mid pipe, so it will have more gains than an H-Pipe (which may be minimal but its still a difference). But the X-Pipe has what some manf. call a "race car growl" aka a bit more raspy/higher pitched tone. The H-Pipe will offer more of a lower tone, or what manf. call a "muscle car rumble". But before you get into that debate the question is do you have to pass an emissions test (where they hook your car up to the computer); or is it just apart of your safety test that also covers emissions tampering (the cats just have to be physically on there)?
Old 6/18/14, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DRaider90
My understanding is the X-Pipe is the most free flowing mid pipe, so it will have more gains than an H-Pipe (which may be minimal but its still a difference). But the X-Pipe has what some manf. call a "race car growl" aka a bit more raspy/higher pitched tone. The H-Pipe will offer more of a lower tone, or what manf. call a "muscle car rumble". But before you get into that debate the question is do you have to pass an emissions test (where they hook your car up to the computer); or is it just apart of your safety test that also covers emissions tampering (the cats just have to be physically on there)?
I see a lot of discussion on an x-pipe vs an H-pipe but my question is, what's the stock connection considered? It looks like an H-pipe. Is it something in between an X and an H?
I just added the BBK shorties but haven't decided on my axle backs yet. Didn't notice any difference in sound so far but I attribute that to the Automatic Trans. stock mufflers which apparently are different than the Manual Trans. mufflers.
Old 6/19/14, 03:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by spqr
what's the legality of the highflow catted mids? Are you replacing the stock cats with the new midpipe, or are you cutting after the cats?
Removing, moving or replacing with anything other than an OEM replacement is illegal.
Originally Posted by Diehard
I see a lot of discussion on an x-pipe vs an H-pipe but my question is, what's the stock connection considered? It looks like an H-pipe. Is it something in between an X and an H?
I just added the BBK shorties but haven't decided on my axle backs yet. Didn't notice any difference in sound so far but I attribute that to the Automatic Trans. stock mufflers which apparently are different than the Manual Trans. mufflers.
The Midpipe is a hybrid X/H. I put the FRPP true X on mine, it keeps the Factory Cats and Resonators on and in their original spots.
Old 6/21/14, 09:18 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Siber Express
Removing, moving or replacing with anything other than an OEM replacement is illegal.
Unless its an aftermarket high flow cat that is EPA approved for your vehicle. I don't know if any of the aftermarket high flow cats for the V6 are "EPA Approved" but I will settle for the fact my car passed emissions after switching to a high flow shorty catted x-pipe.
Old 6/21/14, 09:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by DRaider90
Unless its an aftermarket high flow cat that is EPA approved for your vehicle. I don't know if any of the aftermarket high flow cats for the V6 are "EPA Approved" but I will settle for the fact my car passed emissions after switching to a high flow shorty catted x-pipe.
Yeah I can't think of any of the HF cats that are CARB approved, but pretty much all of them will allow your car to still pass the sniffer test - it's the visual test that they won't pass (depending on the state). Federal law says you can't tamper with the factory cats unless they fail and you're replacing with OEM equivalent, as mentioned above.

But then again, it's also illegal to speed, do burnouts and be drunk in public sooo....
Old 8/3/14, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

But then again, it's also illegal to......be drunk in public sooo....
NOT IN NEVADA! LOL
Old 8/3/14, 10:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Fintile
NOT IN NEVADA! LOL
Touché good sir!