Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

2010 V6 exhaust help/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/11, 11:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
So yes, piping from the cats back to the mufflers. It would sound even better if you did a mid-muffler setup like the SN95s where the mufflers are under the middle of the car, rather than right behind the bumper. Any muffler shop could do this. I paid $200 for my piping and custom stainless tips (and labor), and $75 for my mufflers from Jeg's. Unfortunately they don't make the Force mufflers anymore, but it's the best sounding SN95 V6 exhaust I've heard.
Old 1/21/11, 11:51 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I think he's suggesting no x or h pipe.

And yes, it would be cheaper, any muffler shop could do it.
Ah, I see what he means now. Hm. Not a bad idea.
Old 1/21/11, 11:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
So yes, piping from the cats back to the mufflers. It would sound even better if you did a mid-muffler setup like the SN95s where the mufflers are under the middle of the car, rather than right behind the bumper. Any muffler shop could do this. I paid $200 for my piping and custom stainless tips (and labor), and $75 for my mufflers from Jeg's. Unfortunately they don't make the Force mufflers anymore, but it's the best sounding SN95 V6 exhaust I've heard.
I think I may do that. So that way all I would need is pipes and mufflers. Well, that is not bad at all. I decided to go with the American Thunders. And that will be the expensive part. Thanks for all the help!
Old 1/21/11, 12:50 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think any V6 exhaust I've heard sounds any better than the 2011 V6 with the Roush axle-back.

You could duplicate that on the 2010 with the x-pipe and a set of the Roush axle-backs, it wouldn't be cheap but it sure would sound good.

If I wasn't planning to part with my '04 I would be looking to do something similar to it.

I have the "divorced duals" on it now with a MAC cat-back kit and while I think it sounds pretty good it just doesn't compare to how good that 2011 V6 sounds with the Roush exhaust.
Old 1/21/11, 01:25 PM
GT Member

I don't think any V6 exhaust I've heard sounds any better than the 2011 V6 with the Roush axle-back.

You could duplicate that on the 2010 with the x-pipe and a set of the Roush axle-backs, it wouldn't be cheap but it sure would sound good.

If I wasn't planning to part with my '04 I would be looking to do something similar to it.

I have the "divorced duals" on it now with a MAC cat-back kit and while I think it sounds pretty good it just doesn't compare to how good that 2011 V6 sounds with the Roush exhaust.
Do you have a sound clip or video of yours? I would love to hear it.

I LOVE the Roush exhaust. I heard a 2010 V6 with the Off-Road Roush set up. And I fell in love. Only thing is though, is its price. But, then again for the price of the dual American Thunders.. a little bit more and I could have the Roush. If I got the roush Axle-Backs, do you think it would sound good with the divorced duals?
Old 1/21/11, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
The thing with the 2011 with the Roush is the sound of a 4V DOHC V6 won't sound anything like our pushrod 6ers. Now I'd bet the the 4.0 would sound closer to the 3.7 though...
Old 1/21/11, 02:49 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Do you have a sound clip or video of yours? I would love to hear it.

I LOVE the Roush exhaust. I heard a 2010 V6 with the Off-Road Roush set up. And I fell in love. Only thing is though, is its price. But, then again for the price of the dual American Thunders.. a little bit more and I could have the Roush. If I got the roush Axle-Backs, do you think it would sound good with the divorced duals?
It would sound best with the x-pipe, without that you would lose some of the sound. That x-pipe helps make it sound more like a V12 at full tilt.

You can click on the youtube link in my signature to see and hear my exhaust clip.

Originally Posted by laserred38
The thing with the 2011 with the Roush is the sound of a 4V DOHC V6 won't sound anything like our pushrod 6ers. Now I'd bet the the 4.0 would sound closer to the 3.7 though...
The biggest difference in the sound between the old 3.8/3.9 V6 and the newer 4.0 and 3.7 V6 will be the diffence in the cylinder angle not the valve layout, the 3.8/3.9 being a 90* angle V6 and the 4.0/3.7 being 60* V6's. Makes the firing order a little different and changes the sound some.

I still think it would sound very good on the old motors to use a similar exhaust setup with the x-pipe and Roush mufflers behind the bumper. Biggest problem with doing them that way is the lack of room behind the bumper on the SN95 for the mufflers.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 1/21/11 at 02:50 PM.
Old 1/21/11, 03:01 PM
GTR Member

I thought about whether you could get the 2011 V6 exhaust parts from Ford to use on the 2010 but the cost would be pretty high. And the stock x-pipe is part of the catalytic converter assembly.

Better off getting that newtakeoff x-pipe exhaust kit and just not use the mufflers. I would still call them and ask if you can buy just the pipes from that kit to use with the roush axle-back.
Old 1/21/11, 06:08 PM
GT Member

I thought about whether you could get the 2011 V6 exhaust parts from Ford to use on the 2010 but the cost would be pretty high. And the stock x-pipe is part of the catalytic converter assembly.

Better off getting that newtakeoff x-pipe exhaust kit and just not use the mufflers. I would still call them and ask if you can buy just the pipes from that kit to use with the roush axle-back.
Couldn't I just get an X-pipe and then order the driver side midpipe from Ford? And then put either the Roush or ATs on?
Old 1/21/11, 07:25 PM
GTR Member

Couldn't I just get an X-pipe and then order the driver side midpipe from Ford? And then put either the Roush or ATs on?
I think by the time you bought the x-pipe and the other pipe from Ford you could buy the newtakeoff kit and have less hassle putting it on the car and it would be all mandrel bent and flow better.
Old 1/21/11, 07:48 PM
GTR Member

Here are the pypes mid pipes: http://www.pysales.com/iw_products.m...62?company=ppe

And the x-pipe: http://www.pysales.com/iw_products.m...44?company=ppe

If you buy them from pipes that is a total of $301, the complete system from newtakeoff is only $299 although their shipping is pretty high.
Old 1/21/11, 09:56 PM
GT Member

Here are the pypes mid pipes: http://www.pysales.com/iw_products.m...62?company=ppe

And the x-pipe: http://www.pysales.com/iw_products.m...44?company=ppe

If you buy them from pipes that is a total of $301, the complete system from newtakeoff is only $299 although their shipping is pretty high.
Thank you so much! I'm going to try and order the X tomorrow and then go to Ford monday and get that pipe for $90 and maybe order the GT diffuser. It depends on how things look.. If not, I'll just cut out the other side of the one I have now... If I can ever sell these subs I have sitting in my room I'll order the Roush.. But, it seems like no one wants to buy them. Errgg.
Old 1/24/11, 03:15 PM
GTR Member

Okay, just to satisfy my curiosity about this, I e-mailed newtakeoff.com and asked if they would sell the dual exhaust kit but without the mufflers. They e-mailed back and here is the reply:

Yes, we can do that … The price is $269.00 – the part number is FR3-PYPES-05AA

Thank you for visiting NewTakeOff.com

Sincerely,

Marnie Kramer

**NEW ADDRESS**

NewTakeOff.com

8520 Bluffton Rd

Fort Wayne, IN 46809

Office - 888-240-0025 ext 6505

DIRECT LINE: 260-469-6505

Cell - 248-838-8496

Fax - 888-222-5618

E-Mail- Marnie.Kramer@NewTakeOff.com

URL - www.NewTakeOff.com
So, they discount the kit by $30 plus you would pay quite a bit less freight since it would be one less heavy box to ship.

This would be the x-pipe and over axle pipes and the clamps but no mufflers for $269.

Sounds like a decent deal to me, then get whatever axle-back muffler kit you want to complete the system.
Old 1/24/11, 09:13 PM
GT Member

Okay, just to satisfy my curiosity about this, I e-mailed newtakeoff.com and asked if they would sell the dual exhaust kit but without the mufflers. They e-mailed back and here is the reply:

So, they discount the kit by $30 plus you would pay quite a bit less freight since it would be one less heavy box to ship.

This would be the x-pipe and over axle pipes and the clamps but no mufflers for $269.

Sounds like a decent deal to me, then get whatever axle-back muffler kit you want to complete the system.

WOW!! Major kudos to you! Thank you so much! I was going to give them a call tomorrow. I can't say thank you enough!

The reason I was going to call them tomorrow was because I went to Ford today to "see how much it would cost" to just order that pipe. The guy was a guy I've never seen before. He said $370. I asked if he was kidding. He was like "Uh, no. That's the price." -I think he was BSing me cause I'm 16. I told my dad and he said he would try and go get a quote from another dealership. But, if I can get the pipes and X for $270, I think I'll just do that. You're the man! Thank's again!
Old 1/24/11, 09:57 PM
GTR Member

WOW!! Major kudos to you! Thank you so much! I was going to give them a call tomorrow. I can't say thank you enough!

The reason I was going to call them tomorrow was because I went to Ford today to "see how much it would cost" to just order that pipe. The guy was a guy I've never seen before. He said $370. I asked if he was kidding. He was like "Uh, no. That's the price." -I think he was BSing me cause I'm 16. I told my dad and he said he would try and go get a quote from another dealership. But, if I can get the pipes and X for $270, I think I'll just do that. You're the man! Thank's again!
Yup, the Ford parts place I checked that pipe was about $365 so you got the right price quoted. Funny, the other pipe is only $116, they must have figured out why guys were only buying the one side...

Oh, and by the way, I gladly accept all gratuity's and donations to my Mustang aquisition cause...

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 1/24/11 at 10:02 PM.
Old 1/25/11, 03:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
Yup, the Ford parts place I checked that pipe was about $365 so you got the right price quoted. Funny, the other pipe is only $116, they must have figured out why guys were only buying the one side...

Oh, and by the way, I gladly accept all gratuity's and donations to my Mustang aquisition cause...
When I got mine at the beginning of May last year the left pipe was 2 bucks less than the right, but the dealer I got it from still has the left pipe listed for $119.37 on its online site, $13 more than the right.
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr
Old 1/25/11, 08:42 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
When I got mine at the beginning of May last year the left pipe was 2 bucks less than the right, but the dealer I got it from still has the left pipe listed for $119.37 on its online site, $13 more than the right.
Maybe they just haven't updated their listing. I have run up against that before or Ford will have superceded the part and they still have the old part in their listing.

In any event, I think the newtakeoff.com kit will be a better setup.
Old 1/25/11, 02:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Hm. I'm not sure what to think. Haha. I think I'll just go with the kit.

Maybe they just haven't updated their listing. I have run up against that before or Ford will have superceded the part and they still have the old part in their listing.

Yeah, I'm thinking so also. Because I've also got to buy either an x or h pipe and I might as well combine it all.

Thanks for everything, everyone!
Old 1/25/11, 02:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts

Actually called them today, still $89 and change for the left pipe for the GT (Discount from work), but the left pipe for the V6 from the FRPP V6 kit was over $300
But Like you said, this is Ford and it could change by Morning.

Last edited by Siber Express; 1/25/11 at 02:27 PM.
Old 1/26/11, 03:27 PM

Siber is right about the price of the drives side mid-pipe. It's listed on ford's part site for $119 and change. I talked to a parts guy today and said if I did install with them it would be 20% off.
for your x pipe check out CJ pony parts, they have the Ford Racing x-pipe for $130 free shipping http://www.cjponyparts.com/FORD-RACI...2010/p/M5251R/
poweredbyford.com has one for less but I think you have to pay shipping.
some advice for the rear valance look around forums for gt guys upgrading to roush or gt500 diffusers. I'm getting mine for $50 this weekend.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 2010 V6 exhaust help/suggestions