Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

X Pipe Advice

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/13, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X Pipe Advice

Hello, new member here with a few questions. I have a stock 2013 Mustang GT Premium and will be doing some light mods in the future. I always like to do my research and appreciate others' advice.

I will be getting the Roush axle back and am looking into what x pipe(seems the x pipes are higher performing) to get. I notice most of these x pipes require welding. Are there any that don't that are decent? Also, If I replace the x pipe and the axle back, do people just reuse the stock pipe in between the two?
Old 3/6/13, 06:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What type of X-pipe do you plan on getting? If its the aftercat xpipe then the Roush AB should work just fine however, if you plan on getting an off road Xpipe the Roush are much too loud. You can use the existing over axle pipes (pipes in between x pipe and Axle backs). Give us a shout if you have any questions.
Old 3/6/13, 06:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by warnerjjnha
Hello, new member here with a few questions. I have a stock 2013 Mustang GT Premium and will be doing some light mods in the future. I always like to do my research and appreciate others' advice.

I will be getting the Roush axle back and am looking into what x pipe(seems the x pipes are higher performing) to get. I notice most of these x pipes require welding. Are there any that don't that are decent? Also, If I replace the x pipe and the axle back, do people just reuse the stock pipe in between the two?
Just for your info. The BBK off road or catted x pipes do not require any welding. They connect into the BBK headers and no welding. 5.0, Roush axle backs and x pipe, gonna= loud loud loud. Lol.
Old 3/6/13, 07:27 PM

I should have been more clear. I plan to get an after cat x pipe to keep my emissions all good. I have read about some fitment issues with the BBK. Any experience with this? Also, how will the loudness be with the after cat x pipe and the roush axleback? Any other suggestions?
Old 3/6/13, 07:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by warnerjjnha
I should have been more clear. I plan to get an after cat x pipe to keep my emissions all good. I have read about some fitment issues with the BBK. Any experience with this? Also, how will the loudness be with the after cat x pipe and the roush axleback? Any other suggestions?
No issues on fitment with my BBK headers and x pipe. My buddy who installed them commented on how great the quality the headers were along with the x pipe. Everything fit perfect. I don't have Roush exhaust but I'm getting two glass pack resonators installed this Tuesday to help with the pitch. I have Flowmaster Force II exhaust mufflers and I'm told Roush axle backs are even louder. The catted x pipe may be slightly less loud but it's still loud.

You may want to have resonators installed as well to lower pitch and raspy sound of the x pipe.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/6/13 at 07:43 PM.
Old 3/6/13, 09:03 PM
GT Member

I too just got Roush A/B's and am thinking of getting an after-cat X-pipe. I am also wondering which one fits the best into stock cats and OTA pipes.
Old 3/6/13, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have an x-pipe with GT500 mufflers. here is the sound.
Old 3/6/13, 09:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by BRADGTCS
I have an x-pipe with GT500 mufflers. here is the sound.
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EPh_KcXfYdc
I don't know how guys are not getting some type of glass pack resonator to help with drone of there cars with the catted or off road x pipe and headers. It sounds awesome from the outside but the cabin sound is a bit too much when cruising at 75 mph. I have the off road x pipe and omg the exhaust is screaming loud even when not accelerating and moving at a constant speed of 65 plus. Because I have 3:73 gears my rpm's are rocking around 2400k at 75 mph. With my off road x pipe and headers the cabin drone is crazy. The drone is not bad when doing like 45 mph and the rpm is low but kick those rpm's up above 2 k and above and its on. I'm looking forward to getting the two glass pack resonators installed.
Old 3/6/13, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I don't know how guys are not getting some type of glass pack resonator to help with drone of there cars with the catted or off road x pipe and headers. It sounds awesome from the outside but the cabin sound is a bit too much when cruising at 75 mph. I have the off road x pipe and omg the exhaust is screaming loud even when not accelerating and moving at a constant speed of 65 plus. Because I have 3:73 gears my rpm's are rocking around 2400k at 75 mph. With my off road x pipe and headers the cabin drone is crazy. The drone is not bad when doing like 45 mph and the rpm is low but kick those rpm's up above 2 k and above and its on. I'm looking forward to getting the two glass pack resonators installed.
no drone on mine I talked with ford racing and told them what I wanted and what I wanted them to do. This is exactly what I got. You do have to be careful of drone that is why I still have my cats
Old 3/6/13, 09:38 PM
Cobra Member

One mans noise is anothers music!!! I have 3.73s, LTs, O/R X, and the Roush A/Bs and I have never been bothered by the setup. But I do admit it is stupid loud and to loud for the average person. I do agree with the BBK having a perfect fit, their LTs are the easiest to install.
Old 3/6/13, 10:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Planeswalker

One mans noise is anothers music!!! I have 3.73s, LTs, O/R X, and the Roush A/Bs and I have never been bothered by the setup. But I do admit it is stupid loud and to loud for the average person. I do agree with the BBK having a perfect fit, their LTs are the easiest to install.
I love loud on outside but in cabin, the drone is killer. I really didn't think the Flowmaster ForceII would be that bad on drone. It's only a moderate tone on the scale

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/6/13 at 10:11 PM.
Old 3/6/13, 10:06 PM
GT Member

I agree that drone sucks. I won't go through that again.
Old 3/6/13, 10:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Defiant 5.0
I agree that drone sucks. I won't go through that again.
I'm hoping the glass pack resonators will greatly reduce the drone. Lol. That's the plan at least.
Old 3/6/13, 10:31 PM
GT Member

I'm hoping the glass pack resonators will greatly reduce the drone. Lol. That's the plan at least.
Please let me know how it works out. This will probably decide how my set up evolves. When do they go on?
Old 3/6/13, 10:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Please let me know how it works out. This will probably decide how my set up evolves. When do they go on?
Well I have an appointment for this Tuesday but the more I read the more I'm debating to sell my Flowmaster Force II exhaust system and buy the Corsa axle back exhaust system for my 11. From what I'm reading on mustang forum posts and the Corsa website there exhaust systems are guaranteed to have no drone. Loud on outside but no drone on inside. So now I don't know what to do. I don't want to spend 160 and not be sure it gets rid of the crazy cabin drone. Bananas. Again, I love the loud on the outside but want to be able to have conversation with wife without hearing loud humming sounds inside. Any thoughts on this. Nothing wrong with my Flowmaster system although I don't think it was the right choose for someone with headers and off road x pipe.
Old 3/6/13, 11:01 PM
GT Member

Right on. Best of luck, wherever you wind up bro.
Old 3/6/13, 11:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Right on. Best of luck, wherever you wind up bro.
I'll keep you posted
Old 3/7/13, 12:34 PM

The Corsa's sound amazing!

Old 3/7/13, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adwal99
What only a short wheel chirp LOL. just giving you a hard time.
Old 3/7/13, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you looked into the pypes X pipe, 3in,its only 140 at AM and bolts up to the stock cats but has to be welded at the back if you have an original over axle pipe which is 2.75.If i ever decide to go with an X pipe thats what i,m going to use with my res delete GT500 a/b.

Quick Reply: X Pipe Advice