5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Why are people still having issues with canned tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/11, 05:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why are people still having issues with canned tunes?

So from all the threads I've seen people having problems with pinging, limping, not making more power, CEL's, and other misc problems...I've seen Bama and BBR mentioned more than any other tuner.

Are there any other tuners having issues out there? Why are there still glitches with canned tunes. I figured each time they write a tune for another car it adds to their database further increasing their accuracy.

Which tuner is problem free as of yet? I haven't seen any probs with Evolution's or Lethal's.
Old 3/18/11, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it depends on several things including user error and also the SCT tuner it self in some cases.

I've used tunes from BBR,Steeda,Brenspeed all with good results and no issues at all.

I also had early tunes like July,2010 and they were very good and when I needed my Brenspeed tune revised they took care of it in 24hrs and it was spot on

on the dyno with a safe A/F and no issues.There are plenty of us with tunes from BBR that have not had any problems and I would reccomend them to anyone looking for a good tune for your 2011 5.0
Old 3/18/11, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't had much trouble.

My first BBR tune was a real pain to modulate throttle, but we're under the belief that it was an issue with the adaptive learning and not the tune (someone didn't follow instructions to the T, not sure who, lol).

2nd tune with the boss manifold is about as perfect as you're going to get with a canned tune. Its smooth, great power delivery and very lively. There's certainly room to tweak it, but its 95% there, and that's great for tuning a car 2000 miles away.
Old 3/21/11, 04:45 PM
Banned

what you guys dont understand is, ford spends millions of dollars on driveability. These tuners dont have the resources ford does. Not saying they are all bad. Along with the fact, every car is different. not every part is a 100% then same as the next. Plus u should really have your car tuned on a dyno.
Old 3/21/11, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Bama here with no problems what so ever. AF looks good on 93 performance, I havent checked the race etc yet. It also helps alot if you have a way to datalog (I do but havent done it yet) and send in to them.
Old 3/26/11, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shadowstang03gt
what you guys dont understand is, ford spends millions of dollars on driveability. These tuners dont have the resources ford does. Not saying they are all bad. Along with the fact, every car is different. not every part is a 100% then same as the next. Plus u should really have your car tuned on a dyno.
while I agree with you on all points, I think that at this point, the tuning companies aren't really messing with the stuff that would compromise drivability.

just about every review I've read from every tune has claimed stock-like drivability until you get on it and then it's all hell is unleashed.
Old 3/26/11, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowstang03gt
When dialed in properly, a mail order tune can be as accurate if not more than a dyno tune. There are very few shops that are good enough and experienced enough with the modular Mustang platform to be able to dial in to the extent that a reputable mail-order company can. We (and not just Bama, but our competitors even) have schooled dyno tunes on many occasions.

The only companies I'd let touch my own personal car on a dyno are the ones that sell mail-order tunes for these cars anyway.