Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone tell me what this is?

Can someone tell me what this is?
circled in red

What is the part circled in red?
Old 7/18/15, 02:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
What is it attached to. Some type of Catch can or Evap? Can you post a better picture?
Old 7/18/15, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
To answer the question: Yes. Someone can.

---

Edit: aaand, now I think I can...

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/512-505

EFI boost fuel pressure regulator. I don't think the one in the pic is a Holley, but sure looks similar...

But would need better, clearer pics with multi angles, or maybe a video or something to be sure.

---

Also, dunno if you've been lurkin', but official welcoming to the forums to ya!

Last edited by houtex; 7/18/15 at 04:07 PM.
Old 7/19/15, 12:35 PM

Better pic

Old 7/19/15, 10:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Ok, looks like I was right... and yet not quite.

It's called a Fuel Management Unit, and it's to add fuel to your system when the Supercharger/turbocharger shoves the air in. Without the right amount of fuel, you'd be really REALLY lean for the air, and so you'd blow the motor up. The FMU supplies the demand for the extra fuel.

It looks like an OBX one, and then they modified it to go right angle at the bottom, straight at the side, and then put on an adjustable needle valve for the signal pressure... which shouldn't be the case, if what I'm reading is right. Should just be straight in on the top signal hose, with a fixed ratio... 6:1, 10:1, 12:1, that sort of thing. My guess is someone's trying to fix a problem that they got the wrong part for... or that's a Fuel Pressure Regulator that looks like the OBX FMU, as they do have adjustable valves like this. (They're like blow off valves, when the pressure gets to high, this thing pops off to prevent too much pressure in the system... then pops back 'on' when it goes back down. Except this one looks adjustable...?)

Lil' strange lookin' anyway, given what I've been lookin' about for.

And by the way... thanks for this question/post! I've learned something new about cars I didn't know before! I love that that happened. Now I know more about FMUs/FPRs.

Last edited by houtex; 7/19/15 at 10:54 PM.
Old 7/20/15, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the info!
Just getting to know my procharged 96 Mustang.
The guy that had it before me told me what ever I do not to turn that adjuster.
Must have been set when it was dynoed. Trying to learn everything about the super charger and how it works. Still can't locate my MAF. not sure where they stuck it.
Appreciate you help!
Old 7/20/15, 05:32 AM

I found this also in case anyone was interested.
The FMU Explained

There are several methods used by various supercharger kit manufacturers to deliver supplemental fuel to the engine under boost. An FMU, or “Fuel Management Unit”, is the chief component used for one of these methods. An FMU is often referred to as a boost-dependent fuel pressure regulator. The FMU is essentially a variable fuel-pressure regulator that automatically raises fuel pressure as boost rises.

Depending on the capabilities of the stock fuel pump, a booster pump may be used in conjunction with the FMU. The FMU is downstream (after) of the stock regulator. As boost pressure begins to rise, the FMU starts restricting the flow of fuel returning to the gas tank. Like a garden hose, if the flow is restricted, the pressure increases. The increase in restriction results in an increase in the pressure of the fuel being delivered to the factory fuel injectors. Higher fuel rail pressure enables the fuel injectors to deliver more fuel in the same amount of time than they do at the static stock fuel pressure.
The FMU is calibrated precisely for each supercharger system - a rise in fuel pressure equals a directly proportional rise in boost. The ingenious simplicity of the system means that no computer recalibration is required. Without the FMU, the stock fuel system would not be able to maintain an air-to-fuel ratio low enough to prevent a lean condition. FMU-based systems are the most popular with supercharger kit manufactures.

Last edited by 96MikeStang; 7/20/15 at 06:07 AM.
Old 7/20/15, 10:47 AM

I was talking to someone and they told me since I have an FMU Setup, I don't have a MAF Sensor. Is this true? Maybe that's why I couldn't locate a MAF.
Is this true? Or are they wrong?
Old 7/20/15, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I would have said it was a Thingamabobber or a doohickey.