5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Whiteline Trans Mount Bushing, unlucky?

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/16, 07:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Whiteline Trans Mount Bushing, unlucky?

Saw it on sale on the fourth. 80+ glowing reviews on AM saying it slid right in,added minimal NVH, and really cleaned up their shifts. For $25 I figured I'd give it a try. However, It seems I have the bad luck of the 3 negative reviews I saw....

Put it in last night. It DID NOT slide right in. I put some grease on it like many suggested and I still had to beat it into place with a hammer for about 10 minutes. The middle section just did not want to go in. Annoying, but not a huge deal.

Drove it to work this morning, and my god...The whole car is vibrating! My seat vibrates, the steering wheel, the shifter, the body...it all vibrates A LOT from about 2k RPMs and up. Just to make sure nothing else was wrong I would occasionally hold the clutch in or put it in neutral while cruising at about 60. Sure enough vibration goes away. On the positive side it shifts really nicely. Has a much more solid feel, and got rid of a lot of the slop.

Has anyone else put this in? Am I just one of the unlucky few that has issues with it?
Old 7/20/16, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You've got to jack the trans weight off the mount to get it in easy.

On the noise, pull the bushing and hole saw a 2-21/4 inch hole in the middle of the centre leg. That will control the noise and leave the stiffening action unchanged.
The following users liked this post:
05PRMTX (7/20/16)
Old 7/20/16, 09:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5LHO
You've got to jack the trans weight off the mount to get it in easy.

On the noise, pull the bushing and hole saw a 2-21/4 inch hole in the middle of the centre leg. That will control the noise and leave the stiffening action unchanged.
Thanks for the info. I did support the Trans with a jack while I put it in. Maybe it shifted a little when i took the cross member off, or maybe i just used too much grease? Idk, hopefully it will be easier the second time around.

Some of the reviews said to cut 1/4"-1/2" off of the end of the middle section so I did that before putting it in. I will definitely give the hole a try, though. Thanks again

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 7/20/16 at 09:23 AM.
Old 7/20/16, 12:27 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
IMO.. Treat yourself and your car to an MGW race spec shifter.
If that's to steep for you then go with the Blowfish bracket.
Been there done that with all other products that don't work.
These two products live up to there claim.
Blowfish bracket is the easiest...about 1HR
Old 7/20/16, 05:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by boss man
IMO.. Treat yourself and your car to an MGW race spec shifter.
If that's to steep for you then go with the Blowfish bracket.
Been there done that with all other products that don't work.
These two products live up to there claim.
Blowfish bracket is the easiest...about 1HR
Thats the end goal. Right now I am in an apartment so anything that involved is probably out of the question. I figured in the mean time this would at least help clean it up a bit. Good to hear both of those are tried and true though.
Old 7/20/16, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I think they transmit a lot of vibration. I put one in last year, and I had to make the mod to calm down the NVH. See this. I also sprayed some wd-40 in the mount area and it slid in very easily. There is still a little but not like it was.
The following users liked this post:
05PRMTX (7/21/16)
Old 7/20/16, 08:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Mine went in as is and barely raised NVH.
Old 7/20/16, 09:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts
I cut half the middle section out on mine and it still added NVH and made the shifter more notchy.
Hated it the whole time it was installed.
Sitting in the garage these days.
Will sell it for $15 shipped if somebody wants it.

Here it is right after it was cut, when it was about to be installed:

Name:  2014-07-18_trns-bshng-2.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  173.9 KB
Old 7/21/16, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
I think they transmit a lot of vibration. I put one in last year, and I had to make the mod to calm down the NVH. See this. I also sprayed some wd-40 in the mount area and it slid in very easily. There is still a little but not like it was.
Thanks! I will be doing the same, if not removing it.
Old 7/21/16, 02:29 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Originally Posted by Gabe
Will sell it for $15 shipped if somebody wants it.

I mean no disrespect to you at all.
I would not even give that away.
The reason for all the NVH is because the shifter is still mounted to the trans tunnel. Any time you stiffen things up and its connected to the body you will hear things you never heard before. the more you turn your car into the race car the more you will hear sounds that you never heard before. That's with anything that rotates...engine / trans / rear / Drive shaft and the list can go on.
This is why the MGW / BF Bracket is the best bang for your buck. It cures the alinement issuie and removes the shifter from the trans tunnel.
Stop and think why Ford made the rubber bushing the way they did for the trans and not a solid rubber mount....NOISE
I will say that whom ever designed the shifter mounting design and choose the clutch. Should be counting Lug Nuts. Once you change the clutch and shifter. Its a fun car to drive at its limits. I also believe that a lot of MT-82 that went bad were caused by these two problems. Drivers would force gears because they get pissed off that they cant find a gear.
These are only my thoughts and have no proof of my comments. Just history of owners problems and complaints and fixes being posted.

If I were you I would post in all the Mustang forums that you WTB a used BF bracket or MGW race spec shifter. There out there.
The BF bracket will be easier to get than the shifter.
Sorry for the ramble. But been there and wasted a lot of energy and time.
just try to save you that.

Last edited by boss man; 7/21/16 at 02:31 PM.
Old 7/21/16, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
+1 on the new clutch!!
After I installed new one...as is well!
Old 7/21/16, 05:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts
I mean no disrespect to you at all.
I would not even give that away.

Did my post about the stupid thing seem like a for sale ad?
I hated the thing, I mentioned that in my post, but there's always somebody out there willing to buy something that somebody else didn't like, so figured I'd throw it out there that it's available, lol.
No offense taken.
Old 7/21/16, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Outlined is how I cut mine out. I left a lip for it to rest on. There is still some nvh but much less. Gabe hope you dont mind that I borrowed your pic. I had another thought on reducing the nvh but havent tried it yet.
Attached Thumbnails Whiteline Trans Mount Bushing, unlucky?-transbushing.jpg  
Old 7/21/16, 11:29 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Outlined is how I cut mine out. I left a lip for it to rest on. There is still some nvh but much less. Gabe hope you dont mind that I borrowed your pic. I had another thought on reducing the nvh but havent tried it yet.

As above, I did the same cut and had the same results.
Old 8/1/16, 11:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Some of these cars must be so different from each other. I've read great reviews about the MGW Race Spec, but mine gave me really bad NVH when letting off the gas at higher rpm. It also does it a little when on the gas. OP put this mount bushing in and got insane NVH, meanwhile people said they had no NVH as a result of this. Either these cars are quite different from each other, or some people can really easily tune out NVH. I'm willing to bet those are the people that listen to music really loud or have loud catback exhausts installed.
Old 8/1/16, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Some of these cars must be so different from each other. I've read great reviews about the MGW Race Spec, but mine gave me really bad NVH when letting off the gas at higher rpm. It also does it a little when on the gas. OP put this mount bushing in and got insane NVH, meanwhile people said they had no NVH as a result of this. Either these cars are quite different from each other, or some people can really easily tune out NVH. I'm willing to bet those are the people that listen to music really loud or have loud catback exhausts installed.
Right. I mean you get this type of stuff with any car, but the variation seems to be large in this area. The trans stuff I attribute to it not being a solid mount. You are mating two separate pieces together, so there is a much larger margin for error(not exactly the right word to use, I know). That's a lot of tolerance stackup, material variation with the rubber parts, ect. going on in that area and some cars are bound to fit together better than others.
Old 8/2/16, 01:04 PM
Cobra Member

I ordered my car and the dealer said it was built just for me.

I hear you on how can cars be so different. I installed the Blowfish bracket on my trans/shifter and had very very little noise. On a 1 to 10 it was about a 2 on NVH. I could live with that because the car shifted like chit. Others claimed huge NVH. Bottom line is I was only worried about my final outcome.
To me its a HIT and MISS with parts.
And yes my exhaust note is somewhat louder than stock. Roush AB / Cat Delete and side pipes open only to 1/2 hole. It purrs.
Old 8/2/16, 01:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
With vibrations and noise, installation must be perfect. I'd bet a dollar the bushings were not installed correctly and the mount was loaded incorrectly when torqued. Seen it happen a bunch with motor mounts, too.
Old 8/2/16, 02:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
With vibrations and noise, installation must be perfect. I'd bet a dollar the bushings were not installed correctly and the mount was loaded incorrectly when torqued. Seen it happen a bunch with motor mounts, too.
Your on with the dollar bet. If you installed as per directions how could you screw up. Even with torque.

Bottom line is FORD build a crappy manual shifter set up. Trying to correct FORDS mistake will make changes in NVH. Problem here is some people want Miracles. Its a give and take problem.

To me this bushing was worth about 5 cents
Old 8/2/16, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts

Bottom line is FORD build a crappy manual shifter set up. Trying to correct FORDS mistake will make changes in NVH. Problem here is some people want Miracles. Its a give and take problem.

To me this bushing was worth about 5 cents
Variance is large in this area for sure.

My solution was a $70 Barton shifter bracket, and a cue-ball style shift ****. I still the the occasional crunch, but no more missed shifts the shifter doesn't slip out of my fingers anymore. Others weren't so lucky.

But I remember thinking during cold start up shifts "**** me, how is this OK for a series production vehicle?" a few times before.

Quick Reply: Whiteline Trans Mount Bushing, unlucky?