Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Whipple-build on my '13 GT - questions

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/13, 04:09 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
i bet it'll run 14's
Trouble maker!
lol
Old 12/3/13, 04:11 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
i bet it'll run 14's
Lol.. That high???
Old 12/4/13, 07:18 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 3.25 and enclosed air box and if you're still running cats you're looking at around 560-570, take the cats off and you'll gain 25HP easily. Install headers and you'll lose boost which will allow you to run a smaller pulley. You're going to run into octane issues when you start looking at upping the boost, its the joy of have a higher compression motor.
Old 12/4/13, 11:05 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
The 3.25 and enclosed air box and if you're still running cats you're looking at around 560-570, take the cats off and you'll gain 25HP easily. Install headers and you'll lose boost which will allow you to run a smaller pulley. You're going to run into octane issues when you start looking at upping the boost, its the joy of have a higher compression motor.
Jay please explain your statement that when you install headers you will loose boost, that doesn't make any sense to me considering the fact that the headers are on the other side of the combustion chamber and two sets of valves. I can see how it will allow more HP due to the fact that you have a more efficient exhaust with less back pressure.

Lee
Old 12/5/13, 05:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 542 Likes on 422 Posts
Well, my tuner is telling me too stay around 8 psi, so what size would I need for that?

FRPP has a 9 psi kit so maybe I'll just get whatever size pulley comes with that kit?

Which would be what?
Old 12/6/13, 03:24 PM
I Have No Life

Gabe, need some updates on this thread… Or, you can start your new Whipple thread right? :-)
Old 12/7/13, 07:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

OK, so pretty sure (about 99%) that I'll be getting the JLT CAI for this as well, especially since I want to be able to hear that whine.

Also, nobody knows what size pulley the 9psi kit comes with?

Burton, any chance you can PM me some more info about that Defi boost gauge?
Price, where you got it, model number, where you tapped into for boost, for power, etc.

Thanks man ...
Old 12/7/13, 08:02 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by Gabe
OK, so pretty sure (about 99%) that I'll be getting the JLT CAI for this as well, especially since I want to be able to hear that whine.
EXCELLENT choice brother, excellent choice. If I do a cai, it would be the JLT Big Air, hands down.
Old 12/7/13, 08:08 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

[QUOTE=Gabe;6725736Also, nobody knows what size pulley the 9psi kit comes with? [/QUOTE]
Gabe, I am guessing the pulley is either a 80mm or 85mm pulley.
Old 12/7/13, 08:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Tony ... I'm finding that it may be a 3.375" pulley with the 9psi kits. Would love some confirmation though ...

Also, does anybody know, will an Aeroforce Interceptor work to display boost and air/fuel ratio simply by plugging it into the OBD2 port?

I'm told these cars have wideband oxygen sensors from the factory now, so thinking that it should.
Old 12/7/13, 08:26 AM
I Have No Life

Also, nobody knows what size pulley the 9psi kit comes with?

Burton, any chance you can PM me some more info about that Defi boost gauge?
Price, where you got it, model number, where you tapped into for boost, for power, etc.

Thanks man ...
Gabe, since this is your thread, I figured I could just respond here Besides, it's related to your Whipple "build", right?

I got the Defi Blue Racer gauge… but it's available in red as well. Maybe you should get red so that you don't copy me TOO much first the magna, then the milans, now this…. HAHAHAHA kidding bro.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Defi...al-52mm-30-PSI

They're pricey, but SO worth it. Rallysport had a sale at the time and coupon, so I got it for much less than that shipped. Accuracy, looks, quality, etc. Best out there based on my reviews. Figure, if you spend 6k on a blower, you should not skimp out on the gauge.

As for boost line hookup, the Whipple (if anything like my Maggie) should have an NPT hook up right on the intake port of the SC itself. There should be a rubber cover protecting it. The Defi gauge should come with a rubber boost line, but it's somewhat short. So I went to the auto store to buy a longer vacuum line. Then the sender unit I bolted where my sound tube was. Perfect fit.

As for the power, I was going to hook it up myself, but I figured I'm not really into tinkering with electrical power lines. So I took it to my automotive electronics shop, and for 40 bucks, they hooked it up in less than an hour. IMO, it's not worth the hassle to do it yourself. But they did show me (afterwards), where they hooked it up. So they passed the lines underneath the dash, across to passenger side, then into fuse panel under right side glove box. I had them NOT connect the dimmer, because I drive with my fogs and parking lamps on, so it got dimmer during the day and could barely see. So mine is always on and bright which is how I like it.

Does that help, bro?

Last edited by FromZto5; 12/7/13 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12/7/13, 08:29 AM
I Have No Life

Thanks Tony ... I'm finding that it may be a 3.375" pulley with the 9psi kits. Would love some confirmation though ...

Also, does anybody know, will an Aeroforce Interceptor work to display boost and air/fuel ratio simply by plugging it into the OBD2 port?

I'm told these cars have wideband oxygen sensors from the factory now, so thinking that it should.
Gabe, I looked at the aeroforce as well. Neat gizmo, but I decided against it because

1) I prefer the analog look of the "traditional" boost gauges.
2) Despite getting data from OBD2, it still doesn't have the manifold pressure hooked up in our cars. Meaning, you still have to MANUALLY connect a vacuum line to the intake manifold to read boost. So, thus, I went with Defi… looks better, and I don't really care about the other data the Aeroforce spits out… for now.
Old 12/7/13, 08:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Gabe, since this is your thread, I figured I could just respond here Besides, it's related to your Whipple "build", right?

I got the Defi Blue Racer gauge… but it's available in red as well. Maybe you should get red so that you don't copy me TOO much first the magna, then the milans, now this…. HAHAHAHA kidding bro.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Defi...al-52mm-30-PSI

They're pricey, but SO worth it. Rallysport had a sale at the time and coupon, so I got it for much less than that shipped. Accuracy, looks, quality, etc. Best out there based on my reviews. Figure, if you spend 6k on a blower, you should not skimp out on the gauge.

As for boost line hookup, the Whipple (if anything like my Maggie) should have an NPT hook up right on the intake port of the SC itself. There should be a rubber cover protecting it. The Defi gauge should come with a rubber boost line, but it's somewhat short. So I went to the auto store to buy a longer vacuum line. Then the sender unit I bolted where my sound tube was. Perfect fit.

As for the power, I was going to hook it up myself, but I figured I'm not really into tinkering with electrical power lines. So I took it to my automotive electronics shop, and for 40 bucks, they hooked it up in less than an hour. IMO, it's not worth the hassle to do it yourself. But they did show me (afterwards), where they hooked it up. So they passed the lines underneath the dash, across to passenger side, then into fuse panel under right side glove box. I had them NOT connect the dimmer, because I drive with my fogs and parking lamps on, so it got dimmer during the day and could barely see. So mine is always on and bright which is how I like it.

Does that help, bro?
Lol, yes it does, thank you Burton!
Old 12/7/13, 04:43 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DinoDoc
Jay please explain your statement that when you install headers you will loose boost, that doesn't make any sense to me considering the fact that the headers are on the other side of the combustion chamber and two sets of valves. I can see how it will allow more HP due to the fact that you have a more efficient exhaust with less back pressure.

Lee

Less back pressure will decrease boost.
Old 12/7/13, 04:49 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Yeah I'm not understanding this philosophy either. Exhaust valves open, intake closed and vice versa. The only way I see this happening is if you are not exhausting properly. (Or enough)
Old 12/7/13, 06:24 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Jay is right.
Stock manifolds will do just fine with these superchargers. With a turbo you will see greater gains, probably about 20-30rwhp, which is great. The same goes for x pipes. (Which is good for us, right? Saves us money on that front.)
Long tube headers and a x pipe will work amazing with a cammed engine or one that had the heads cnc'd.
Old 12/8/13, 03:40 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Yeah I'm not understanding this philosophy either. Exhaust valves open, intake closed and vice versa. The only way I see this happening is if you are not exhausting properly. (Or enough)

I have a pretty long dialogue with a couple tuners regarding this, I'm not a full fledged tuner and still learning the "ropes" but decreased back pressure does decrease boost, I've experienced this on 3 blown mustangs so far. I don't have the ability to technically explain but I'm sure I can find the answer in my slew of tuning books.
Old 12/8/13, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

This is true. Headers will decrease boost a little, but you will make more power.
Old 12/10/13, 11:47 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The boost will go down with headers. Thinking about it from a non VVT type engine, or even a two stroke/tuned pipe combo, there is going to be times, even with a VVT engine where there is intake/exhaust overlap where both valves are open and flowing. To properly fill the cylinder, some extra unburnt mixture must be drawn through to the exhaust side. Obviously, this effect is far minimized in a modern VVT engine. My Tbird has a 292 degree duration cam in a Windsor based motor, and even properly carbed/jetted/tuned, etc... the fumes bring tears to the eyes almost like a nitro car (unburnt fuel in the exhaust at idle). There is such a long duration where both the intake and exhaust are both open. This is a great natural aspirated/high rpm cam, but would make for a miserable blower cam, because you would loose a lot of the boost during the unoptimal valve timing events. On the older motors a good blower cam would pay those duration/overlap and exhaust timing events special mind. A forced induction motor/cam combo is going to make power differently than a naturally aspirated one will. Does that mean headers are bad on a blown motor? heck no... just means you will start chasing down the road of next weakest links which is this hobby!

Last edited by MKMotorsport; 12/10/13 at 11:50 AM.