5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Whipple-build on my '13 GT - questions

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/13, 12:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Whipple-build on my '13 GT - questions

I've gotten a price on a Whipple 2.3 black tuner kit with my choice of pulleys, and it's about $1k higher than a respective Vortech/Paxton kit, I'd just have to get injectors and a tune.

The injectors will apparently add close-to/about $900 since I'm set on doing the ID1000's.
Also starting to consider the Bosch 1000 injectors since they're apparently the same as the ID's at a much lower price.

The tune is gonna be a good one. Going back to "Magic Pete" at Performance Dyno in Louden NH

Still thinking about which boost-a-pump to get and whether to get cat-delete pipes / h-pipe.

Thoughts ?
Old 11/13/13, 01:33 PM
Former Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
What kind of sound are you looking for out of your exhaust? That's where I'd start

I went with the O/r X-pipe for the higher pitched tone.

If you want it deeper, go with the H

I hear good things about KB's BAP

Nick C.
Old 11/13/13, 02:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
What kind of sound are you looking for out of your exhaust? That's where I'd start

I went with the O/r X-pipe for the higher pitched tone.

If you want it deeper, go with the H

I hear good things about KB's BAP

Nick C.
Definitely a deep sound is what I'd be after.

The KB and the Roush are the 2 BAPs I was looking at, I guess the KB being a lot cheaper since it has to be wired-in, whereas the Roush piece is plug-and-play
Old 11/13/13, 04:25 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Gabe...

Nice to see you finally considering the "dark side". Trust me when I say this, once you get a taste of forced induction, there's no going back. Your soul will forever crave that thrust I have been sooooo happy with my setup. You won't regret it. Good luck buddy. I hope you get it. And post a build thread too please.

Btw, whipple is great too... Lots more room up top. Costs a lot more than others tho, and more work to install.
Old 11/13/13, 04:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Gabe...

Nice to see you finally considering the "dark side". Trust me when I say this, once you get a taste of forced induction, there's no going back. Your soul will forever crave that thrust I have been sooooo happy with my setup. You won't regret it. Good luck buddy. I hope you get it. And post a build thread too please.

Btw, whipple is great too... Lots more room up top. Costs a lot more than others tho, and more work to install.
I got a "taste of forced induction" driving the GF's pullied/tuned/528rwhp/531rwtq '08 Shelby ...

I want some of that for myself

She's out of town, just spoke with her, told her I'm gonna take her car out for a bit tomorrow ... "oh, you think you can just do that?" ... well, YOU left the keys" ... LMAO ...
Old 11/13/13, 04:52 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Gabe
I got a "taste of forced induction" driving the GF's pullied/tuned/528rwhp/531rwtq '08 Shelby ... I want some of that for myself She's out of town, just spoke with her, told her I'm gonna take her car out for a bit tomorrow ... "oh, you think you can just do that?" ... well, YOU left the keys" ... LMAO ...
Yep that should about where I am, possibly a little less torque.

Let me know what you decide on and keep us posted!

Ps I still miss that insane avatar lol
Old 11/13/13, 05:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep that should about where I am, possibly a little less torque.

Let me know what you decide on and keep us posted!

Ps I still miss that insane avatar lol
Her car is soon to be re-tuned. When we got it dyno'd, the tuner said "that's low for that combination of parts (the pulley and JLT intake), I know I can get more out of it" ... so yeah, she's going up in power soon, I guess I kinda have to too, right? Lol
Old 11/21/13, 02:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

About 95% sure that I'll be going with the Whipple 2.3 kit

Today I ordered the injectors that my tuner recommended, ID1000's, overkill for now but nice to have down the line if/when I decide to go bigger.

Which spark plugs do you guys recommend?
Old 11/21/13, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Whipple is a great blower but I would also consider a Roush. You can get a VMP Roush Stage 1 kit right now for $6000 with free shipping and one year of no interest.
Old 11/22/13, 02:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the SC world, you're going to love it. Either one Whipple or Roush you won't be disappointed! I don't know what the Roush BAP cost but if there's a significant difference between that and the Ken Bell I'd go with the Ken Bell. I have the KB BAP and wiring it in was very easy.

Last edited by GT50GO; 11/22/13 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11/22/13, 04:20 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by GT50GO
Welcome to the SC world, you're going to love it. Either one Whipple or Roush you won't be disappointed! I don't know what the Roush BAP cost but if there's a significant difference between that and the Ken Bell I'd go with the Ken Bell. I have the KB BAP and wiring it in was very easy.
What's bap again?

Gabe, now that you've ordered the injectors, no turning back? Hehe. Fun winter project? You doing the install yourself? Plan at least the weekend. And a lot of beer for your buddies.

Last edited by FromZto5; 11/22/13 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11/22/13, 08:01 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ho no.. not another SC build thread... envy y'll... looks like my trip to the dark side will take atleast an year.

Good luck Gabe... wish u the best.
Old 11/22/13, 08:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
The Whipple is a great blower but I would also consider a Roush. You can get a VMP Roush Stage 1 kit right now for $6000 with free shipping and one year of no interest.
Thanks man but only $200 more for the Whipple and it has the potential for more than the TVS, plus other reasons are pushing me to the Whipple ...

Originally Posted by GT50GO
Not gonna do a BAP to begin with, we'll see how things develop, but at over $100 more for the Roush over the KB, chances are very good that I'd do the KB unit

What's bap again?

Gabe, now that you've ordered the injectors, no turning back? Hehe. Fun winter project? You doing the install yourself? Plan at least the weekend. And a lot of beer for your buddies.
Yup, no turning back. I may order it today. I think the card I was gonna use had been zeroed out now, ready to be racked up
BAP= Boost A Pump

Originally Posted by CiniZter
ho no.. not another SC build thread... envy y'll... looks like my trip to the dark side will take atleast an year.

Good luck Gabe... wish u the best.
Thanks man ...
Old 11/22/13, 12:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, another question:

The Whipple tuner kit I am getting doesn't come with a pulley.
What size should I get?
Old 11/22/13, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pete is definitely the guy to see, good luck and post #'s
Old 11/22/13, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, another question:

The Whipple tuner kit I am getting doesn't come with a pulley.
What size should I get?
Depends on how much boost you want to make. I would think 10 lbs. would be about the max you would want to go. This would also be a question for your tuner on what he's comfortable with.
Old 11/22/13, 03:04 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Depends on how much boost you want to make. I would think 10 lbs. would be about the max you would want to go. This would also be a question for your tuner on what he's comfortable with.
^^This.
Awesome. Should be an even nicer ride now Gabe!
If you go more boost/power, are you upgrading the stock block/internals and transmission as well?
Old 11/22/13, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Cool. I will ask him. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Stage_3
^^This.
Awesome. Should be an even nicer ride now Gabe!
If you go more boost/power, are you upgrading the stock block/internals and transmission as well?
Thanks Tony! Yeah I might, who knows? Lol
Old 11/22/13, 07:27 PM
I Have No Life

Ok, another question: The Whipple tuner kit I am getting doesn't come with a pulley. What size should I get?
Definitely ask him. I'd think tho, 80mm or less.
Old 11/23/13, 12:02 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
She's gonna be beastly!!
Can't wait man.

Quick Reply: Whipple-build on my '13 GT - questions