Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

What would u do?

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/11, 12:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What would u do?

I thinking of getting the Sct tune and CAI and 3:73 gears for my GT Automatic.. Im i better off just getting a tune and gears and not buying a CAI and instead get a drop in filter(k&N) and save the money?Or wait and buy all 3 mods? Does the CAI really make that much of a difference in hp/tq? Plus i was thinking when i take my car in for service(Ford) i wont have to worry about being questioned if something comes up.

Last edited by Overboost; 9/28/11 at 03:41 PM. Reason: fixed title and post...again!
Old 9/28/11, 12:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't the higher flowing filter also require a tune of sorts? You will essentially be flowing more air just as you would with a CAI.
Old 9/28/11, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you're worried about warranty at all then I wouldn't touch the car. Even if you put a tune on the car and flash it back to stock for warranty work, Ford can still tell that you've tuned the car. Not worth the argument.

Mods vs stock. Tough choice for some.
Old 9/28/11, 01:37 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 93-331-29psi
Won't the higher flowing filter also require a tune of sorts? You will essentially be flowing more air just as you would with a CAI.
That's what a computer in a car is for. It detects the higher air flow and compensates with more fuel. The only intakes that need a tune are the ones with a built in bigger mass air flow sensor.
Old 9/28/11, 03:16 PM
GT Member

Go with tune & K&N. Get the sct tuner with there tunes and then you can add up to 3 custom tunes into the tuner. If you want a cold air I have a steeda for auto car 200.
Old 9/28/11, 06:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 783 Likes on 572 Posts
If your worried about warranty just have ford install the upgrades you want. If your not worried about warranty, I would go with the intake, gears and a tune form a vendor here on TMS.
What do you hope to gain from the gears quicker 1/4 mile time, stop light to stop light..ect?
Old 9/28/11, 06:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
If your worried about warranty just have ford install the upgrades you want. If your not worried about warranty, I would go with the intake, gears and a tune form a vendor here on TMS.
What do you hope to gain from the gears quicker 1/4 mile time, stop light to stop light..ect?
looking at 1/4 mile gain with gear upgrade...
Old 9/28/11, 06:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elvism
looking at 1/4 mile gain with gear upgrade...
That car should being doing alot better then that in 1/4 Whats the Track elevation your running at? Or the name of the track?
Old 9/28/11, 06:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
That car should being doing alot better then that in 1/4 Whats the Track elevation your running at? Or the name of the track?
i havent run it yet? ????
Old 9/28/11, 06:50 PM
Cobra Member

If you want sick quarter times get a circle d torque converter, tune , cai , drag radials and aluminum driveshaft . Even without gears, low 11's all day naturally asp.
Old 9/28/11, 06:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elvism
i havent run it yet? ????
Im looking at your signature,
Old 9/28/11, 07:07 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by 2012GT
If you want sick quarter times get a circle d torque converter, tune , cai , drag radials and aluminum driveshaft . Even without gears, low 11's all day naturally asp.
Suuuuure now we dumping the clutch at 7 grand and shifting at 8??? Lol
Old 9/28/11, 08:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Bama tunes are a good idea because of the free tunes for life. I started with just the tune and k&n and it really woke the car up. When I added my JLT CAI it definitely pulled harder. High gains on the butt dyno for sure. I have 3.73's already and traction is now an issue, even on my Nitto's. My quarter mile was horrible due to spinning all the way through 3rd. Drag radials and driver mod are needed for my next trip to the strip.
Old 9/28/11, 09:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
Im looking at your signature,
those times were for 05 GT..ill be going to the track in next few weeks to see what it does stock before i do any mods
Old 9/28/11, 09:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking

Suuuuure now we dumping the clutch at 7 grand and shifting at 8??? Lol
Here we go again<eye roll > .... please Mr Ford tech explain to us how he's going to "dump the clutch " in an automatic????!!! LOL !! Don't let your service manager read this post ...Ahahaha. classic! ! Guys, he is your local Ford tech. And we wonder why they can't fix our cars .....

Last edited by 2012GT; 9/28/11 at 09:22 PM.
Old 9/28/11, 09:35 PM
Cobra Member

Troy Vs Trent II

Now fellas let's keep this a clean fight, no below the belt punches and obey my commands at all time. "LETS GET IT ON!"

Ding ding

Old 9/28/11, 09:36 PM
Cobra Member

Lol ^
Old 9/28/11, 10:01 PM
GT Member

Great combo here. I would later add adjustable shocks/struts and lower/upper control arms in back. If you add lowering springs you may want an adjustable pan hard bar.

I plan on getting an aluminum driveshaft Friday since Brenspeed will have them onsale.

I have a 6mt but was able to drive an 11sec Auto on some back roads and its much more consistent. I hit 11.94 at IRP on my best run, but have to hit the gears and launch just right, my average of 5 runs total is 12.2x, but the MPH (113-114) is almost the same either way so it's all in the driver and I go the the drags about 3-4 times a year if I'm lucky, so I have limited experience this year with this car. You'll love the Auto drag racing. A tune will make that car shift like crazy with the auto trans and will most likely be the most noticeable change for you.
Old 9/28/11, 10:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Bama tunes are a good idea because of the free tunes for life. I started with just the tune and k&n and it really woke the car up. When I added my JLT CAI it definitely pulled harder. High gains on the butt dyno for sure. I have 3.73's already and traction is now an issue, even on my Nitto's. My quarter mile was horrible due to spinning all the way through 3rd. Drag radials and driver mod are needed for my next trip to the strip.
Nice info. I had to put NT05R's on the back and then hit 11's, and that was such an awesome high! I'm not the best at shifting either but getting better every day. I have an extra set of wheels with standard Nitto 275/18/NTO5s but am keeping them for twisties. I got out to a track day this year kind of late in the day but did about 10 laps on a parking lot cone course and am hooked totally, like a junkie - more under body work coming very soon and I've got 14" Wilwoods for the front and back to put on this winter when the car is stored.
Old 9/28/11, 10:17 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Here we go again<eye roll > .... please Mr Ford tech explain to us how he's going to "dump the clutch " in an automatic????!!! LOL !! Don't let your service manager read this post ...Ahahaha. classic! ! Guys, he is your local Ford tech. And we wonder why they can't fix our cars .....
Again... You start with personal blows instead of actually supporting your previous comment...

Now let's see. Explain how he is going to improve over 1 second with those few mods you mentioned.
And let's see if you can do it intellectually without personal attacks.. I'm gonna go ahead and guess no you can't.

Last edited by texastboneking; 9/28/11 at 10:19 PM.