5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Weight & supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/11, 09:48 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight & supercharger

Are the different supercharger setups all similar in weight? (Roots/twinscrew vs. centrifugal setups)

Also, I'm looking for good weight reduction mods. Is it possible to drop about 200+ lbs. weight from these cars without sacrificing too much streetability? I wouldn't mind a little NVH increase, but I wouldn't want a stripped interior. (How much does the sound-deadening material in the trunk weigh?)

What about rotational mass? Obviously lightweight flywheel, clutch, & driveshaft would be nice.....but how much rotational weight would one actually be saving? What about lightweight wheels?

These cars are getting a little pudgy & I'm looking to put my car on a diet. I already went bare-bones GT with 3.73s. What else could I get rid of/replace with lightweight stuff? So far I was thinking of removing the rear seats & replacing the front seats with something lighter.....but I'm unsure where to go after that.

Last edited by Arak-Nafein; 4/8/11 at 09:55 AM.
Old 4/8/11, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There are a lot of ways to drop some weight. Of course some of these ways are pretty pricey. I plan on doing some weight reduction on my 5.0. I am not sure how far I am gonna take it though.

Here are a couple great links on S197 weight reduction. Im sure the same can apply for the new 5.0.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/foru...opic.php?t=846

http://www.mustangcollective.com/sho...d.php?p=211324

Good luck hope this helps.
Old 4/8/11, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arak-Nafein
Also, I'm looking for good weight reduction mods. Is it possible to drop about 200+ lbs. weight from these cars without sacrificing too much streetability? I wouldn't mind a little NVH increase, but I wouldn't want a stripped interior. (How much does the sound-deadening material in the trunk weigh?)

What about rotational mass? Obviously lightweight flywheel, clutch, & driveshaft would be nice.....but how much rotational weight would one actually be saving? What about lightweight wheels?
For most people, no, removing 200 lbs would push the car out of the realm of streetability, but the definition of streetability differs from one person to the next.

You can lose 20-40 lbs from your wheels and tires, but for better traction you'll want wider wheels and tires, and in general wider equals heavier.

Deleting the rear seat and putting in race buckets for the front seat can shave off 80-100 lbs depending on how much you're willing to spend and how much padding in the seat you're willing to live without.

You can easily save 15-18 lbs each with a lighter exhaust and battery (I've done both), but the exhaust will be much louder, and the lighter battery will have much less reserve capacity.
Old 4/9/11, 10:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Arak-Nafein
Are the different supercharger setups all similar in weight? (Roots/twinscrew vs. centrifugal setups)
When I had my '07 Mustang GT, I added a non-intercooled centrifugal supercharger (Vortech V2 S-trim). The box from Vortech weighed 48 lbs, but a lot of parts replaced stock parts. I weighed what came off the car (a little over 20 lbs), so adding the supercharger only added about 25 lbs my '07 GT, while providing a dramatic 153 rwhp increase in power.

Intercoolers added a fair amount of weight. Roots/TS superchargers add even more weight.