Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Vortech and 80 lb injectors

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/14, 10:00 AM
GT Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vortech and 80 lb injectors

Against the advice of many, I went with the FRPP 80 lb injectors on my Vortech tuner kit instead of the ID1000's. Saved myself $600 in the process and I have no complaints so far. Just figured I would give anyone considering a Vortech/Paxton a way to save a few bucks.

Tuner Kit: ~$4000
Injectors: $380
BBR Tune: $275

Note: I already had CAI and Tuner.

Last edited by slow.stang; 5/1/14 at 10:01 AM.
Old 5/1/14, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slow.stang
Against the advice of many, I went with the FRPP 80 lb injectors on my Vortech tuner kit instead of the ID1000's. Saved myself $600 in the process and I have no complaints so far. Just figured I would give anyone considering a Vortech/Paxton a way to save a few bucks. Tuner Kit: ~$4000 Injectors: $380 BBR Tune: $275 ________________ $4655 for roughly 600 rwhp, not bad in my opinion. Note: I already had CAI and Tuner.
hey it worked. **** everybody else.
Old 5/1/14, 10:13 PM

Against the advice of many, I went with the FRPP 80 lb injectors on my Vortech tuner kit instead of the ID1000's. Saved myself $600 in the process and I have no complaints so far. Just figured I would give anyone considering a Vortech/Paxton a way to save a few bucks. Tuner Kit: ~$4000 Injectors: $380 BBR Tune: $275 ________________ $4655 for roughly 600 rwhp, not bad in my opinion. Note: I already had CAI and Tuner.
what are you hooking it up with. street/strip?
Old 5/2/14, 01:59 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So the tune keeps your A/F in proper range even with the smaller injectors?
Old 5/2/14, 06:41 AM
V6 Member

80# injectors are huge. The FRPP S/C tuner kit at 624hp uses 47# injectors.
Old 5/2/14, 06:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
So the tune keeps your A/F in proper range even with the smaller injectors?
From FRPP:
Forced-Induction Applications: 837HP @ 85% Duty Cycle
So yes, they are plenty, the fuel pump would be the weak link but I'm pushing 11.7:1 at 7k. I'm not even running a boost a pump.
Old 5/2/14, 06:47 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by El Fufi
hey it worked. **** everybody else.
So far so good.
Old 5/2/14, 06:49 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by El Fufi
what are you hooking it up with. street/strip?
I don't quite have the suspension/tires setup, 1st and 2nd are pointless even at half throttle with 265 Eagle F1 supercar g 2's, 3rd and 4th are pretty fun though. Guess tires and wider rims are my next move.
Old 5/4/14, 09:29 PM

Where did you get kit and injectors from? Those are some good prices. Are you running a stock clutch as well?
Old 5/5/14, 03:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MustangD

Where did you get kit and injectors from? Those are some good prices. Are you running a stock clutch as well?
Stage3motorsports, they have the cheapest prices on Vortechs that I've seen. I get a 5% military discount through them, normal prices are 4250 and 399, I think. You can ask around for a promo code that's good for 5%. I think I have one in an email somewhere if you are interested. The salesperson I spoke with said he didn't think they did discounts on Vortech because they're already so cheap, but I ordered online and it worked. Install is a pain in the azz, but AIT's are lower than they were pre-blower, not sure what other superchargers are working with.
Yes, stock clutch, can't hook up yet, so it's safe for now...

Last edited by slow.stang; 5/5/14 at 03:57 PM.
Old 5/5/14, 04:46 PM

Thanks I have been looking a Stage 3 as well and I am military too so it should all work out. I don't have a tuner so I am going to go for the full Paxton kit.
Old 5/5/14, 05:52 PM
GT Member

Thanks I have been looking a Stage 3 as well and I am military too so it should all work out. I don't have a tuner so I am going to go for the full Paxton kit.
You may want to go the tuner route since the Vortech tune is very conservative and you will likely want a dyno/email tune. BBR was almost dead on with the first tune they sent me and I think the kit only comes with 53 lb injectors. Couple things I learned the hard way, read the instructions first and do it in logical order, not the order in the instructions. They make some things very difficult that shouldn't be. Don't bend the **** AC line either(I broke mine) and it wasn't even necessary, just pull the hose to the side by the rubber part. Mark the bolt holes on the bracket to show where pulley and bolts go a day before the install. Good luck...
Old 5/7/14, 06:50 PM

You may want to go the tuner route since the Vortech tune is very conservative and you will likely want a dyno/email tune. BBR was almost dead on with the first tune they sent me and I think the kit only comes with 53 lb injectors.

I ordered the Paxton Tuner kit today and it will be a week or so to get it here. I have been talking with BBR for the rest. Any other ideas for I need the injectors, tuner and tune. Getting anxious...
Old 5/8/14, 05:53 PM
GT Member

You may want to go the tuner route since the Vortech tune is very conservative and you will likely want a dyno/email tune. BBR was almost dead on with the first tune they sent me and I think the kit only comes with 53 lb injectors.

I ordered the Paxton Tuner kit today and it will be a week or so to get it here. I have been talking with BBR for the rest. Any other ideas for I need the injectors, tuner and tune. Getting anxious...
Go ahead and get the plugs and coolant, maybe a couple of hose clamps, I'm not a big fan of the one time use clamps. Maybe a catch can if you don't have one. I loop my pcv a 360 around the motor, gives more time for vapor to become liquid again, I could be wrong but the logic seems sound. If you have another car to drive go ahead and pull the fan and put plugs and coolant reservoir in early, pull front facia, etc... I have a 13 and didn't have to do any cutting on fascia, just fan shroud. Let me know if you have any questions, it's gonna be fun. Oh ya, get big tires, I can't even outrun a camry right now. You have CAI?
Old 5/8/14, 07:50 PM

No CAI and I didn't order one for now. I did order the X4 tuner, tune and DeatschWerks 78lb injectors from BBR today. I do have another car but no enclosed garage to work out of so I am going to wait until I have all the pieces together before I start. Thanks for the other ideas and I hate the one use clamps as well.

Does the supercharger whine any, or a lot, at startup and idle?
Old 5/11/14, 08:53 AM
GT Member

No CAI and I didn't order one for now. I did order the X4 tuner, tune and DeatschWerks 78lb injectors from BBR today. I do have another car but no enclosed garage to work out of so I am going to wait until I have all the pieces together before I start. Thanks for the other ideas and I hate the one use clamps as well.

Does the supercharger whine any, or a lot, at startup and idle?
It's got a nice light whistle at idle, can't speak for the Paxton though, love the sound of the blow off valve.
Old 5/29/14, 05:45 PM
GT Member

You got it going yet?
Old 5/31/14, 09:44 AM

You got it going yet?
I have everything, just not the time to get the install done yet. I am shooting for next weekend currently. Did you torque any bolts during installation? I see Loctite is called for but no torque specs. I am also going with K&N filters instead of the air/oil separators. It seems to be easier and cheaper.
Old 5/31/14, 12:37 PM
GT Member

I have everything, just not the time to get the install done yet. I am shooting for next weekend currently. Did you torque any bolts during installation? I see Loctite is called for but no torque specs. I am also going with K&N filters instead of the air/oil separators. It seems to be easier and cheaper.
I don't recall any torque specs, call me crazy, but I generally don't use a torque wrench unless I'm swapping heads or working on a rotating assembly. Anything else I take as a recommendation kinda like a speed limit sign.
Old 6/9/14, 07:17 PM

I don't recall any torque specs, call me crazy, but I generally don't use a torque wrench unless I'm swapping heads or working on a rotating assembly. Anything else I take as a recommendation kinda like a speed limit sign.
I got everything installed and running yesterday. It took about 11 hours and a few pieces of skin. Fired right up. Working on the data logging setup and a seep at the lower fitting on the new over flow tank.

Quick Reply: Vortech and 80 lb injectors