Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

tune/parts question

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/17, 01:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
tune/parts question

I just picked up a 2014 gt last week it does have some work done to it ie eibach lowering kit, unknown aftermarket exhaust and shorty header of unknown make is there any I can find out if this car already has a tune/strategy? I plan to add the boss intake and a CAI but i'm afraid to mess with anything.

I'm trying to track down the last owner and i'm sure that phone call will be awkward and will put me on some staking list lol but I am out of options any ideas how to either ID the header and exhaust via the tune as neither parts have any marking I could find.
-Phil
Old 2/2/17, 01:31 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
If the car only has headers and exhaust then there is a good chance that no tune has been done. Unless the cats have been removed. these items do not require a tune to install.
Even most CAI don't need a tune. Unless you have the steeda Boss CAI. Or the Airaid with the air reducer removed.

Did you purchase the car from a Ford dealer??
If the car is tuned then you may be able hold them accountable for not being compliant for emissions. If the car goes through inspection....Then your OK

Good Luck Sir!
Old 2/2/17, 03:38 PM

no ford dealer, actually I picked up from a Chrysler/Dodge dealer I know that's a crime in its self but I did get the Mopar 3 year 36,000 BtB warrantee and a hell of a deal hehe.
but I did take it to a ford dealer and he said the abs and advance track was "turned off in the computer" so I know someone was playing around in there either that or the ford dealer is full of it.
Old 2/3/17, 12:32 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I would say BS. I never heard of anyone just turning off just that. You can turn off advance track without a tune.
Go test it.... little water on the ground and slam on the brakes. If you get full lock up then no ABS. If you get Brake Pulsation then the ABS is working. Time to test.
To be honest, I would think people will tune for power before braking. Just my thoughts.
changing engine parameters is a different story (Power).
Old 2/3/17, 04:19 PM

I would agree power before braking would be the normal thing to do.
and oh as you suggested I tested the ABS yeah lol..... locked 'em up tighter than a bank vault on Sunday, so no ABS at all at the moment, but it was worth the look on my wife's face when I locked it up though.. priceless lol.

I just got my VCMII/IDS today so I think I will be investigating a bit deeper into the ABS module hell it could just be bad who knows, I have only had the car a week it will take time to figure out the issues and if not that's what the warranty is for lol
I want this car to last a while and I hate the electronics in new cars so I'm kind of a bit paranoid , I can replace anything on my 66' with a small tool kit and some duct tape much easier on that one lol
-Thanks
Phil
Old 2/4/17, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Hey Phil, this sound very strange. First time I've seen the forum member with this problem.

ESC module is what handles vehicle speed measurement, ABS, traction control and stability control (which ford calls Stabilitrac).

This module is for the most part left alone when people do tuning. I wonder what the motivation would be to do this...

I bet this can be fixed if you were able to get the ESC module re-flashed back to stock. Are there any lights on the dash? Service ABS or Stabilitrack?

Disabling ABS/ESC with no warning to the driver is not legal. It violates FMVSS 126 and 135, and takes detailed knowledge of the ABS/ESC module and it's software.

It may be dificult to reverse the changes made, I would suggest trying to get the module re-flashed even if you have to pay a Ford dealer to do it. Keep us posted.

P.S. With factory ESC software you can switch of TCS, and switch off ESC. ABS is always on unless you have a failure of Wheels speed or pressure sensor in the unit.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 2/4/17 at 02:09 PM.