Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Buying used Airraid CAI

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/16, 10:32 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying used Airraid CAI

I'm looking at a local guy selling a Airraid CAI that was used less than 3k miles for $150. I believe this is the Airraid Cold Air Intake - Synthaflow Oiled Filter that retails for $351.80 on AM.

Couple questions:

1. The seller confirm no tune is required (I don't yet have a tuner). Can I install it and then eventually have it tuned or if you buy the no tuned required CAI does that mean you should never ever have a tune go with it?

2. If it is already somewhat put together do I install it as one piece or do I need to disassemble it and install it piece by piece? I have never installed one and the installation videos are showing it installed piece by piece… Coupler by coupler etc. I wasn't sure if that was necessary if the whole unit was already assembled.

3. Seem like a decent price for a slightly to moderately used CAI?

Pic of CAI:

Old 1/12/16, 02:47 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirate_5.0
I'm looking at a local guy selling a Airraid CAI that was used less than 3k miles for $150. I believe this is the Airraid Cold Air Intake - Synthaflow Oiled Filter that retails for $351.80 on AM.

Couple questions:

1. The seller confirm no tune is required (I don't yet have a tuner). Can I install it and then eventually have it tuned or if you buy the no tuned required CAI does that mean you should never ever have a tune go with it?
The no tune required are the original Airaid CAI's that include a modular venturi insert that you place inside of the larger CAI tube.. This allows running the stock calibration tune safely without getting a check engine light..

Then if and when you decide to do future mod upgrades ? You just simply remove the venturi insert and it becomes the full race version that will then require tuning..

What's really great, is you have the best of both worlds and don't need to purchase another CAI when you do decide that your ready for a tune upgrade..

I ran an Airaid CAI on my previous 05 GT for over 2 years with the no tune insert and loved it.. I had better throttle response and low end torque with the stock tune and never had any problems or check engine lights..

Unfortunately I had to sell it, after finding out it would not fit on my current 06 GT which has a Saleen blower on it..

2. If it is already somewhat put together do I install it as one piece or do I need to disassemble it and install it piece by piece? I have never installed one and the installation videos are showing it installed piece by piece… Coupler by coupler etc. I wasn't sure if that was necessary if the whole unit was already assembled.
If it's already somewhat assembled ? there is no need to disassemble it.. You just simply install the air dam box first, followed by the intake tube..

Also the instructions are very easy to follow anyhow and you can always contact Airaid tech support for help as well..

3. Seem like a decent price for a slightly to moderately used CAI?
Just make certain the seller provides pics of all parts, so that you know as to whether or not your getting the CAI with the no tune insert or the race version that doesn't include the insert and requires tuning !
Old 2/5/17, 08:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You used to be able to get the venturi insert from Airaid. May want to double check with them and see if thats still possible. I had talked to them when I ordered a used "no-tune" CAI off ebay. There was no insert when I received the item, but Airaid did tell me at the time that I could buy one from them. I've had the Airaid on my GT for about 2 years now, it's a great addition, you won't be disappointed.

Also make sure to check that the CAI is for your transmission, if I remember right there is a difference between auto and manual.

Last edited by SterlingGrayGT; 2/5/17 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added info