5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trying to make a hard decision

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/12, 04:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to make a hard decision

So I really want to get the Vortech supercharger for my 5.0 but obviously this will void my warranty. I just don't want to get stuck in the situation where something other than the supercharger system breaks. Anyone with a Vortech system or similar that can give me some confidence that these systems work without ruining the engine? I've heard 600hp is about the max for these engines stock and that's right around what the Voretch bumps it up to.
Old 1/22/12, 04:23 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
It's always a gamble. I would do some research on who is running this set up and find a really good tuner who will tune it safely. Would probably not try and push it to 600. If it blows up, you're pretty much screwed so just keep that in mind.
Old 1/22/12, 04:26 PM
GT Member

FRPP 524 HP kit comes with a warranty.

Edelbrock E-Force can be purchased with a warranty.

If you are really stressed out over it, check into those two.

Mike
Old 1/22/12, 04:32 PM

The roush kits are available and will still retain factory warranties. My tuner is an authorized roush dealer and is doing them all the time. Swears the warranty is still valid.
Old 1/22/12, 05:22 PM
Cobra R Member

He says it is or ford will Actually honor it?

I just don't see ford working on an Engine that has a supercharger on top if something internal or even an external part fails..

I'm interested in the frpp whipped as well
Old 1/22/12, 05:25 PM

From what I understand, ford actually honors it as if it were a roush bought off the lot. You can get roush to do it or an authorized roush dealer to do it. I would have to make sure it is legit with my dealer first. Or you can always PM Deysha and I'm sure she can answer this also.
Old 1/22/12, 05:52 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Whipple > everything else
Old 1/22/12, 09:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Agreed, just for the sound lol
Old 1/22/12, 10:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
From what I understand, ford actually honors it as if it were a roush bought off the lot. You can get roush to do it or an authorized roush dealer to do it. I would have to make sure it is legit with my dealer first. Or you can always PM Deysha and I'm sure she can answer this also.
My dealer said the same thing to me just recently when I was there getting other warranty work done. If I go with the Roush TVS and they install (being an authorized Roush dealer) that I would keep the factory powertrain warranty. I would still verify with your local dealer though just to be safe.
Old 1/22/12, 11:31 PM
Cobra R Member

**** the price they'll charge to install is probably insane. And they probably won't give you a good tune I'm assuming???

And once you go get a better tune, bye bye warranty???

Just can't see them letting you boost the car and still warrantying it. The roushs are all the same motors and compression right?

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 1/22/12 at 11:32 PM.
Old 1/23/12, 12:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Procharger > Whipple
Old 1/23/12, 12:37 AM

No way man.
Whipple > Vortech > procharger
Old 1/23/12, 07:09 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackbird.
So I really want to get the Vortech supercharger for my 5.0 but obviously this will void my warranty. I just don't want to get stuck in the situation where something other than the supercharger system breaks.
Hello members,

Your best bet is to speak to your dealers about installs and warranties then, speak to Roush and FRPP about their parts, warranties, and dealers. Remember, aftermarket parts will not automatically void any of your warranties. However, if they cause a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info. I hope this helps.

Deysha
Old 1/23/12, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

No way man.
Whipple > Vortech > Procharger
To me, the Whipple kits are average and tons of people have installed them. Also, grinding the timing cover isn't something I want to do.

Haven't heard anything good about the Vortech kits for these cars. Everyone seems to have one problem or another with them. Just what I'VE heard.

The Procharger kit allows you to keep the stock intake or use the Boss intake and upgrade the throttle body. Upgrading the units isn't a big deal at all. They have multiple belt options including cog belts. The kits look super clean and from what I hear so far, function very efficiently. Finally, the highest horsepower 5.0 is running a Procharger system. Yes, it's on a built motor but still. Pretty impressive. Over 1,000rwhp....
Old 1/23/12, 09:11 AM
Cobra R Member

The reason I've like the whipple is the whine and the fact that u can cant one that won't add Too much power. I know we're limited on what the bottom end can handle. 550 is plenty for m, Or so I say now
Old 1/24/12, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
The reason I've like the whipple is the whine and the fact that u can cant one that won't add Too much power. I know we're limited on what the bottom end can handle. 550 is plenty for m, Or so I say now
You never have enough power. I had a turbo bike and started with 265 horse. I got bored with that in about a week and put the big spring in the waste gate to bump her to 320 horse. Still wanted more but didn't want to scatter parts all over so I sold it before I broke it. Boost is an addiction.
Old 1/24/12, 11:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Good idea or you might not be posting in this thread lol.

I just don't want to blow an engine on a brand new car lol. Reliable car with a sweet amount of power to the wheels (about 500) is pretty good for me
Old 1/24/12, 08:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Bottom line: Is someone going to cover the blowed up motor or not? Is that someone going to be you or not?

If you cannot live with "yes, it will be you, directly" in any way, shape, or form, then you should probably back away.

But as others have said, there are warranty programs. Get one of those, and if it fails due to the charger, then you're good. Just out the use of the car.

It's totally up to you, of course, so DO something already.
Old 1/25/12, 05:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Maybe ill think it over some more and in the meantime buy a BOSS side exhaust.
Old 1/25/12, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah - they tell you this or that. And THEN! There's a new hot-shot service manager who's looking for accolades based on who did the least warrantied work. Your car comes in on the flatbed; he smiles as he reaches for the keys...

I wouldn't trust anything a STealer tells you in these type of situations.

Heck - think of it if you were business owner. Wouldn't you like to push a starry-eyed kid into dumping his/her cash into your overpriced services rather than someone else's? And then, wouldn't you want to be one charging that same kid once it blows up?

Not saying you're a kid or anything - but these are the facts - and they KNOW this type of work is risky overall. If you're going to play on that level; the price should match as well.

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 1/25/12 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Trying to make a hard decision