Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

TracKey for 5.0L Mustang GT ???

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/11, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ducky
The reason the boss sounds like it has lopey cams is because it DOES have lopey cams. It's not a tune, it's real.
It most certainly does not. A hair bit more lift, but that's all done in the Ti-VCT calibration on the track key. They're just twisting the advances and retards to create some overlap. A very cool feature, and as noted above, the cams are similar but just slightly different (journals, and I keep hearing 1mm more lift on exhaust but that's not a cam-card)
Old 3/2/11, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason the boss sounds like it has lopey cams is because it DOES have lopey cams. It's not a tune, it's real.
So that's why when you put the regular key in, the lope disappears completely, right?

Obviously, putting the regular key in must magically remove the currently installed cams and install the regular ones, in less than 2 seconds. Pretty good by my standards!

Protip: Research (read: google) lopey cams and find out how they work and what makes them lope. Then, research Ti-VCT and how it works. Then, feel really stupid as you connect the dots.
Old 3/2/11, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
So that's why when you put the regular key in, the lope disappears completely, right?

Obviously, putting the regular key in must magically remove the currently installed cams and install the regular ones, in less than 2 seconds. Pretty good by my standards!

Protip: Research (read: google) lopey cams and find out how they work and what makes them lope. Then, research Ti-VCT and how it works. Then, feel really stupid as you connect the dots.
No love for the Duckster
Old 3/2/11, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
No love for the Duckster
Nah, no love for people who say things that don't hold up to even the most basic kind of scrutiny (i.e. lope disappears with regular key, which shoots a pretty big hole in the "special cams" argument). Just sayin'. I don't dislike mr. duck personally - I'm sure he's a nice guy, he just performed a bit of internet foot-in-mouth. We've all been there, and we all get called on it.

You really can't make stuff up on the internet; fact-checking is generally pretty immediate and thorough.

Hopefully he'll do a bit of research before jumping to conclusions. Then, everybody wins!
Old 3/3/11, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nah, no love for people who say things that don't hold up to even the most basic kind of scrutiny (i.e. lope disappears with regular key, which shoots a pretty big hole in the "special cams" argument). Just sayin'. I don't dislike mr. duck personally - I'm sure he's a nice guy, he just performed a bit of internet foot-in-mouth. We've all been there, and we all get called on it.

You really can't make stuff up on the internet; fact-checking is generally pretty immediate and thorough.

Hopefully he'll do a bit of research before jumping to conclusions. Then, everybody wins!
haha, I was just kidding about it. Ducky's good peeps, just misinformed on the cam setup on the boss (which is a bit ambiguous outside the lope in track key, I'm really curious why the Journal OD changed).
Old 3/3/11, 04:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Now I admit I don't have facts and this is just a supposition, but if I had to hazard a guess as to why the journal OD is bigger, I would put it down to the additional CNC machining of the BOSS 302 heads. Perhaps the cams are hollow? I don't know about that.

I do know that Ti-VCT has more than enough adjustability in it to cause the cams to overlap a fair bit.
Old 3/3/11, 06:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, I mis-spoke. I know what the Ti-VCT does, and I know all the fancy facts about it. I hadn't researched the Boss 302 past press releases since I knew I wouldn't be getting one and I prefer to not tease myself. Everything I had seen simply stated "bigger cams", and apparently that is not the case.
Old 3/3/11, 11:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bucephalus
So any news when and if Ford will have a TracKey set up for our 5.0s? Sure like the fact you can have the "old day" rumopy rumpy cam sound without changing cams. If they can do this on the BOSS 302 , they can do it to ours too.

HTML Code:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/PiWSr-Ax8K4
LoL I'm not gonna lie, that does sound pretty freakin sweet lol
Old 3/3/11, 11:35 PM
FR500 Member

You're right, I mis-spoke. I know what the Ti-VCT does, and I know all the fancy facts about it. I hadn't researched the Boss 302 past press releases since I knew I wouldn't be getting one and I prefer to not tease myself. Everything I had seen simply stated "bigger cams", and apparently that is not the case.
Exhaust lift goes from 11 to 13mm, duration is unchanged at 263 degrees. Intake is apparently unchanged.

Last edited by PTRocks; 3/3/11 at 11:38 PM.
Old 3/4/11, 12:10 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Exhaust lift goes from 11 to 13mm, duration is unchanged at 263 degrees. Intake is apparently unchanged.
So I was right. It IS a bigger cam. In that case, I revise my original post. The reason the boss sounds like it has bigger cams is because it DOES have bigger cams. It's not just a tune.
Old 3/4/11, 01:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PTRocks
So I was right. It IS a bigger cam. In that case, I revise my original post. The reason the boss sounds like it has bigger cams is because it DOES have bigger cams. It's not just a tune.
If you learn the relationship between cam timing and what you're hearing you would understand that you cannot really "hear" an extra 2mm of lift. The duration is the same regardless of what cam you are looking at.

What is giving your the "lopey" sound has to do with the timing of the valvetrain movement in relation to the stroke cycle. Because in "the old days" a high-duration high-lift ie "lopey" cam had a fixed (non-variable) relationship between valve timing and stroke, it was obvious that the cam was "lopey" and it did it all the time. The "lopey" sound is the timing and duration more than the actual lift.

The "lopey" sound that you hear from the Boss has absolutely nothing to do with the lift and everything to do with the timing -- and since the timing is controlled by the tune, it's the tune that produces the sound.

Understand?
Old 3/4/11, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
If you learn the relationship between cam timing and what you're hearing you would understand that you cannot really "hear" an extra 2mm of lift. The duration is the same regardless of what cam you are looking at.

What is giving your the "lopey" sound has to do with the timing of the valvetrain movement in relation to the stroke cycle. Because in "the old days" a high-duration high-lift ie "lopey" cam had a fixed (non-variable) relationship between valve timing and stroke, it was obvious that the cam was "lopey" and it did it all the time. The "lopey" sound is the timing and duration more than the actual lift.

The "lopey" sound that you hear from the Boss has absolutely nothing to do with the lift and everything to do with the timing -- and since the timing is controlled by the tune, it's the tune that produces the sound.

Understand?
That is a good explanation separating lift from duration (and separation).
Old 3/4/11, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky

Understand?
overlap plays a big role in how the cam sounds as well. Cams with tighter lobe separation have more overlap than those with wider separation. Overlap is the duration that both the intake and exhaust valves are off the seats at the same time and is a big factor in higher RPM breathing and idle quality.

Also, rate or speed of lift has some influence as well. Two cams can have identical specs but one will open and close the valves faster. This is where roller cams and cams with larger followers (bigger lifter or bigger roller) have an advantage.
Old 3/4/11, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stang-Par
overlap plays a big role in how the cam sounds as well. Cams with tighter lobe separation have more overlap than those with wider separation. Overlap is the duration that both the intake and exhaust valves are off the seats at the same time and is a big factor in higher RPM breathing and idle quality.

Also, rate or speed of lift has some influence as well. Two cams can have identical specs but one will open and close the valves faster. This is where roller cams and cams with larger followers (bigger lifter or bigger roller) have an advantage.
"Overlap" falls under the "timing" portion of my explanation. Just to clarify.