5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Throttle body vs headers

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/14, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle body vs headers

Bare with me... I'm not much of a car guy yet but I'm learning quickly.

So I decided to go with a Steeda CAI and tune. So unless I'm missing something, I feel like my bottle necks for getting more air through the motor lies at the throttle body and the headers.

So with the Borla ATAK catback and the Steeda CAI, which one of the two, throttle body or headers would be a better next upgrade?

Or is there something even better I should go with?
Old 7/21/14, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Keeripes, there are people putting 700 horses through the stock TB. Headers absolutely.
Old 7/21/14, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A throttle body upgrade is only needed when the stock TB becomes restrictive to the air flow, which is measured in CFM.

Essentially, unless you run forced induction(turbo/blower) or a new intake manifold like the Boss 302 or Cobra Jet manifolds, it won't make a difference.

I would invest in the headers. Save the TB for one of your last upgrades.

Last edited by KushBandit; 7/21/14 at 08:33 PM.
Old 7/22/14, 10:53 AM

A aftermarket TB is not needed on these cars and is a waste of money. The Long Tube or LT headers will make a noticeable difference on these cars. But they may be to loud for you with the ATAK system that you have. You will probably need a updated tune with the LT headers to get the most from them. But as long as you went with the Steeda for life tunes then there is nothing to worry about.
Old 7/22/14, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the input guys!

bullet3z,
how loud is too loud? I went with the ATAK system because I want loud and feel they're too tame sometimes haha.
Are we talking, get ticketed in 6th gear on the highway loud?
Old 7/22/14, 04:11 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're talking about not being able to hear your passengers talking and eventual hearing loss...:P
Old 7/23/14, 07:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
You're talking about not being able to hear your passengers talking and eventual hearing loss...:P

Even with the windows up? I think I'm OK with this. I really wanna find someone near by and hear their car with headers. My BIL has a cobra with headers and it's not that bad.
Old 7/23/14, 09:03 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Cobra?

It'll be louder than that.

But, you must be a young guy so maybe you'll like it anyway.

I finally grew out of that somewhat, although my car with just the Outlaw axle back is pretty dang loud, and inside it is very loud at 60-65, even with the windows up. Couldn't stand it if it was any louder, or if I had to drive it every day.
Old 7/23/14, 09:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
Mufflers will make the difference in sound for sure. Headers will add some noise but most of the sound control comes from the mufflers. I had headers, high flow catted x pipe with stock mufflers and it was still pretty quiet.
Old 7/23/14, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
What Cobra?

It'll be louder than that.

But, you must be a young guy so maybe you'll like it anyway.

I finally grew out of that somewhat, although my car with just the Outlaw axle back is pretty dang loud, and inside it is very loud at 60-65, even with the windows up. Couldn't stand it if it was any louder, or if I had to drive it every day.
Yeah... I'm 25 so I guess I'm a young guy
It's THAT loud in 6th gear? I can hardly hear my exhaust in 6th from inside the car.

Glenn, I'm guessing borla headers pair with borla catbacks is going to be pretty loud huh?

I'm just wondering if it's really so loud you can't hear your passenger if the windows are up.
Old 7/23/14, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

It's not THAT loud. I have LTs, Roush AB's and no cats. Widows down above 4k at WOT it's very loud. When I just cruise normally it really doesn't sound any louder than when I had just the ABs on it. And with windows up you really can't tell a difference if you drive normally from just ABs either. Don't let people scare you. I get complimented 2-3 times per day on how amazing my car sounds. If you want it to be quiet you can keep it sounding normal. If you want everyone to hear you, that can be accomplished as well.
Old 7/23/14, 11:44 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I'm not a motor expurt either but after talking to several svt and performance guys, the LT headers were always part of the Tune and CAI package recommendations. TB not so much.
Old 7/24/14, 09:37 AM

With the ATAK system I would think the LT's with no cats would be louder than most people would like. This includes your neighbors. You see a lot of people running LT's and no cats with the GT500 mufflers. They claim it is very reasonable sound level all around.

Oh and yes to the tune/LT/CAI combo. That is about the max power gain before going forced air or a 150 shot.
Old 7/24/14, 07:04 PM
Bullitt Member

First off: I really appreciate everyone's input here. Thanks a bunch guys.

So I put in the Steeda CAI and did the tune today.
I'll be honest, my borla catbacks on stock sounded a bit ricey with a loud clacking sound when WOT in 1st and 2nd around 3k RPM.

With the new intake... WOW! It sounds epic. Deep, throaty, ROAR.

I did have an AWFUL experience with my X4 tuner though. I'll make a separate post about that tomorrow.

Originally Posted by flynavy
It's not THAT loud. I have LTs, Roush AB's and no cats. Widows down above 4k at WOT it's very loud. When I just cruise normally it really doesn't sound any louder than when I had just the ABs on it. And with windows up you really can't tell a difference if you drive normally from just ABs either. Don't let people scare you. I get complimented 2-3 times per day on how amazing my car sounds. If you want it to be quiet you can keep it sounding normal. If you want everyone to hear you, that can be accomplished as well.
Thanks for the honesty. I'm rather encouraged now. Throttle body is out of the picture now so I have to decide if I want to drop some cash on a short throw or wait a week or two and get the headers.

Originally Posted by bullet3z
With the ATAK system I would think the LT's with no cats would be louder than most people would like. This includes your neighbors. You see a lot of people running LT's and no cats with the GT500 mufflers. They claim it is very reasonable sound level all around.

Oh and yes to the tune/LT/CAI combo. That is about the max power gain before going forced air or a 150 shot.
My neighbors don't matter. I live in the deep, deep, country. I'll call it my deer repellant technique.
Also I don't give a what anyone thinks about how my car sounds.

Last edited by OnceYouGoBlack; 7/24/14 at 07:07 PM.
Old 7/24/14, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OnceYouGoBlack
First off: I really appreciate everyone's input here. Thanks a bunch guys. So I put in the Steeda CAI and did the tune today. I'll be honest, my borla catbacks on stock sounded a bit ricey with a loud clacking sound when WOT in 1st and 2nd around 3k RPM. With the new intake... WOW! It sounds epic. Deep, throaty, ROAR. I did have an AWFUL experience with my X4 tuner though. I'll make a separate post about that tomorrow. Thanks for the honesty. I'm rather encouraged now. Throttle body is out of the picture now so I have to decide if I want to drop some cash on a short throw or wait a week or two and get the headers. My neighbors don't matter. I live in the deep, deep, country. I'll call it my deer repellant technique. Also I don't give a what anyone thinks about how my car sounds.
I'm not trying to discount what anyone else's opinion is on volume and how loud is too loud. I hate to voice my opinion and make it sound like I'm just an inconsiderate jerk to those around me but here it goes. I understand being considerate to your neighbors. But how would it be any different if I rode a Harley? Those things are wayy louder than my car. It's my car and I'll do what I want to it and frankly my neighbors just have to deal with it.

I'm not breaking any sound laws where I live with it. Nor do I rev it or get it above 1500 rpms anywhere near my neighbors. But when I start it up for work in the mornings it is loud. But that's just how it goes. I don't have the rear end facing anyone's windows or homes so I try and manage it the best I can. But in the end, there's nothing they can do about it anyway. I made my car sound like a racecar, because that's what I wanted. And it sounds great. I've never once received any complaints from my neighbors. Like I said, people compliment the sound at least once a day. It's all about how you manage the sound. If you drive calmly, it will be barely louder than an AB only setup. Again, if you go WOT and get it above 4k it screams and sounds amazing. But I don't do that by my neighbors homes.
Old 7/24/14, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

flynavy,

You're running that setup with the stock CAI?
Old 7/24/14, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

flynavy, You're running that setup with the stock CAI?
Yes stock CAI.
Old 7/24/14, 08:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh man, you really need to pickup an aftermarket one. I'm telling ya, the exhaust note is SO much better. Any reason in particular you're still running the stock one?
Old 7/25/14, 06:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh man, you really need to pickup an aftermarket one. I'm telling ya, the exhaust note is SO much better. Any reason in particular you're still running the stock one?

I run stock because it's fully enclosed and the headers put out ALOT of heat underhood. I've read on here multiple times that it's more than sufficient for a non forced induction setup and is actually better than an open element system. I have contemplated the switch though. I just always wonder how it'll affect the intake air temps sucking in that hot air from the headers
Old 7/25/14, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I can't speak for other CAI setups but the steeda is a lot like a closed system in the sense that the enclosure makes a fantastic seal with the hood. Honestly, I don't see any more hot air getting into it than the stock system allows.

If you still have your stock setup when I get my long tubes, maybe we can use temp guns and compare internal temps!!

However for you sake, I hope you get a steeda CAI ASAP.

Quick Reply: Throttle body vs headers