Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Tape worm REMOVED!

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/13, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by steven46746

Windows down baby
That might help, but why did ford put that in there if you can hear the engine already?
Old 5/7/13, 01:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

That might help, but why did ford put that in there if you can hear the engine already?
No idea, gimmick I guess. The 5.0 makes plenty of noise without the tube and with a intake even more so.
Old 5/7/13, 01:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you install a CAI, you certainly do not need the sound tube. Since Ford did a good job with the factory air box in the way of air flow, they felt no one would need to install a CAI, and gave the driver some cabin noise.

Interesting that folks will complain about a sound tube, yet they will install a loud set of axle backs and brag about how loud they are.

Go figure.
Old 5/7/13, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
If you install a CAI, you certainly do not need the sound tube. Since Ford did a good job with the factory air box in the way of air flow, they felt no one would need to install a CAI, and gave the driver some cabin noise.

Interesting that folks will complain about a sound tube, yet they will install a loud set of axle backs and brag about how loud they are.

Go figure.
It doesn't make great sounds, it's just random noise, also the stock intake has like 14 reservoirs on the bottom of it, can't be helping air flow too much? The tube serves no purpose other than to be fugly.
Old 5/7/13, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I must be one of the only ones who does not mind the sound tube... I think the under hood of our Mustang's is one of the best looking in many years! I came from a Street Rod with a smooth firewall and all of the wiring hidden so I appreciate a clean underhood. Having said that it is probably the thing that stands out most so I do understand the desire to remove it... I think the ground strap near the top center of the cowl sticks out worse than the sound tube. That to me looks like a mistake someone made at the factory in a hurry to go home on Friday afternoon! And I am hoping removing the foam plugs from the sound tube gets me by until I can convince the Wife to let me install GT500 Axle Backs!
Old 5/7/13, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The '06-08 BMW Z4 comes with a sound tube as well (in fact, I've removed all the insulation from mine to make it louder- sounds good when you get over 3,000 RPMs, otherwise it doesn't really pump any noise to the cabin).

Of course, in the Z its tucked down below the rest of the intake- so you don't really notice it.

In these days of cutting costs, I doubt Ford would spend the few dollars it costs to produce, inventory, and install the tube if there wasn't some research or other reason to think the consumer would appreciate the effect.
Old 5/8/13, 06:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This gets classified as "I like it" or "I hate it". Good thing the aftermarket comes along and offers a plug (at a price) to eliminate it for those who hate it.

For those that remove it, post it in the classifieds; there are lots of V6 owners without a CAI that want to add it. They simply have to add a 90 degree PVC elbow to their stock air box tube.

You can recover the cost of the firewall plug if you can find a buyer.
Old 5/9/13, 08:50 PM
Len
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
I must be one of the only ones who does not mind the sound tube.
Add me to the list. I like the sound our cars make and if any of it is the result of the sound tube then I'd rather it stay in. The only time my hood is open is when I'm checking the fluids so I see no reason to remove it.

Last edited by Len; 5/9/13 at 08:52 PM.
Old 5/17/13, 12:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Lol... Good for you guys who don't like it and manage to uninstall/plug holes. Personally, I like. Any feedback at all that I can from the engine, the better...This car is nowhere near "raw" enough for how I like my muscle cars...so the tube is appreciated!

It's also a feature of the car that has the right intentions at heart. Ford understands that we love our big, powerful engines and this is one more way to experience it.

Mine stays in...I pulled the foam plugs too!
Old 5/18/13, 03:35 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Lol... Good for you guys who don't like it and manage to uninstall/plug holes. Personally, I like. Any feedback at all that I can from the engine, the better...This car is nowhere near "raw" enough for how I like my muscle cars...so the tube is appreciated!

It's also a feature of the car that has the right intentions at heart. Ford understands that we love our big, powerful engines and this is one more way to experience it.

Mine stays in...I pulled the foam plugs too!
Agree. But how loud is it when you unplug the foams. I wanna hear my exhaust note too...