5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Strano Performance Shift Improvement kit: MT-82 Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/11, 01:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
test
Old 7/6/11, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by generalee31184
I am really curious if the Redline MTL does help enough to make me change it out. Does anyone think there are any longterm effect with using the Redline MTL? I guess Im looking for someone to make up my mind for me on switching or not. I have almost 600 miles on it and dislike that notchyness feeling! Someone make up my mind for me lol. It will most likely void tranny warranty if I chang it right?
no a fluid change will not void your warranty. If you suspect that you have a shady dealer that tries to dodge warranty work, simply drain the MTL and re-fill with stock fluid.

That being said, I think that everyone that has a properly functioning transmission still has a certain degree of notchyness. Every performance car I've ever driven has certainly had a more mechanical notchy gear engagement and my MT82 is not any different nor is it any worse than some of the other cars I've driven.
Old 7/6/11, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

It won't void your warranty. It meets the Ford specification anyway. I doubt they'll be sending your transmission fluid out for chemical analysis?
Old 7/6/11, 03:25 PM
V6 Member

I understand what you are saying. I just was tryin to decide if it was that much better by changing over to Redline.
Old 7/9/11, 05:38 PM

Ok so I just finished the install of the steeda shifter and bracket...WOW. huge improvement over the stock shifter and bracket! The new bracket comes with two bushings to choose from. One is black and the other is red. The black one, although I haven't personally tried it, I've read has an overall solid feel and no increase in NVH (Noise, vibration, and harsheness). The red bushing has a more solid feel to it and better shifts than the black bushing but has a slight increase in nvh. The vibration and noise isn't terrible but its going to take some getting used to. Honestly the shifts are so good now I don't even mind the noise, although at a later date I might switch to the other bushing. The shifter feels really solid compared to the stock and it shifts with more of a hard bump but in a really good way. That's the only way I can describe it. It just feels super solid and awesome! The only thing I hated about the install was the freaking rubber boot that thing is a PITA! I am having my transmission fluid swapped later on this week with the redline mtl. I will do a much better review later on with bracket pic comparisons and all the good junk but I'm pressed for time at the moment. Update later this week!
Old 7/9/11, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Bought 3 qts of the redline fluid from sam last week. planning on draining the stock fluid and putting that stuff in to see if it smooths up the notchy feel.

still no grinding or any mechanical issues but anything that can smooth up the feel would be worth it to me.
Old 7/10/11, 04:26 PM

I'm getting my fluid swapped tomorrow so ill let you know if it helps
Old 7/11/11, 10:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Clutchmaster9000
Ok so I just finished the install of the steeda shifter and bracket...WOW. huge improvement over the stock shifter and bracket! The new bracket comes with two bushings to choose from. One is black and the other is red. The black one, although I haven't personally tried it, I've read has an overall solid feel and no increase in NVH (Noise, vibration, and harsheness). The red bushing has a more solid feel to it and better shifts than the black bushing but has a slight increase in nvh. The vibration and noise isn't terrible but its going to take some getting used to. Honestly the shifts are so good now I don't even mind the noise, although at a later date I might switch to the other bushing. The shifter feels really solid compared to the stock and it shifts with more of a hard bump but in a really good way. That's the only way I can describe it. It just feels super solid and awesome! The only thing I hated about the install was the freaking rubber boot that thing is a PITA! I am having my transmission fluid swapped later on this week with the redline mtl. I will do a much better review later on with bracket pic comparisons and all the good junk but I'm pressed for time at the moment. Update later this week!
I'm glad you got some time to get the Tri-Ax and bracket/bushing in the car. And what you got for results is pretty much EXACTLY what I found. The MTL helps a little when it's cold, the biggest changes are from the shifter and the bracket/bushing combination.

I think the best way to describe it is this way: The shifter feels like it's connected to the transmission now, not some detached sloppy, remote kind of setup. I haven't missed a gear since the change, I no longer have to think about shifting in any specific way to avoid issues. I can shift it like my Camaro with a T-56 and my BMW with it's stock 5-speed.
Old 7/11/11, 04:47 PM

Just installed the kit. The first thing I noticed is that there is a significant whine when engaged in every gear besides 5th. There was a slight hint of the whine before but not nearly this noticeable. Could this be because of the different bracket and it's allowing more noise into the cabin? Other than that shift are amazing and makes the transmission feel solid besides the whine. The guy that installed was saying could be from the Redline but it doesn't seem like anyone else has been complaining about that. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Old 7/11/11, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TM4686
Just installed the kit. The first thing I noticed is that there is a significant whine when engaged in every gear besides 5th. There was a slight hint of the whine before but not nearly this noticeable. Could this be because of the different bracket and it's allowing more noise into the cabin? Other than that shift are amazing and makes the transmission feel solid besides the whine. The guy that installed was saying could be from the Redline but it doesn't seem like anyone else has been complaining about that. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Most likely because of the bracket. That stiffer bushing brings more drivetrain noise into the cabin. Good to hear the improvements.
Old 7/11/11, 07:41 PM
V6 Member

Im curious how these other guys above that are switching over are making out? They will probably make up my mind on switching over or not.
Old 7/11/11, 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've previously installed both the tri-ax and the barton bracket, and they do make a world of difference. I thought the shifter was pretty good stock, but it's incredible now. Every time I shift, I feel like I'm slamming the lever to launch a torpedo on those old campy sub movies. And then when I let off the clutch, I am the torpedo. But that's a different story.
Old 7/11/11, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
I've previously installed both the tri-ax and the barton bracket, and they do make a world of difference. I thought the shifter was pretty good stock, but it's incredible now. Every time I shift, I feel like I'm slamming the lever to launch a torpedo on those old campy sub movies. And then when I let off the clutch, I am the torpedo. But that's a different story.
Hahaaaaaaaaaaa. (family guy ostrich)
Old 7/12/11, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by TM4686
Its from the shifter bushing. I've tried both the black bushing and the red bushing. The red one is pretty loud but the black one isn't so bad just takes some getting used to. Its mainly just in 2nd gear that I hear the whine though so overall not bad. The shifter is SOLID. And I ended up getting the tsb fluid swap from my dealer instead so ill see how that goes. Its a long story about the redline mtl but it might get put in at a later date if the dealer installed fluid doesn't help.
Old 7/12/11, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by sam strano

I'm glad you got some time to get the Tri-Ax and bracket/bushing in the car. And what you got for results is pretty much EXACTLY what I found. The MTL helps a little when it's cold, the biggest changes are from the shifter and the bracket/bushing combination.

I think the best way to describe it is this way: The shifter feels like it's connected to the transmission now, not some detached sloppy, remote kind of setup. I haven't missed a gear since the change, I no longer have to think about shifting in any specific way to avoid issues. I can shift it like my Camaro with a T-56 and my BMW with it's stock 5-speed.
That's a better way of describing it. The stock bracket was just absolutely terrible.
Old 7/12/11, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I tried the shifter, fluid and bushing all separately.... I got an increase in noise from the shifter itself more than the bushing. It's not a fluid thing, because if it was there would be two issues. One, my trans would have blown up by now (and made the noise with the stock fluid). Two, it'd be in every gear, including 5th.

Part of the reason the stock shifter is so flimsy is for noise isolation. Think about it, we have a much more robust piece sticking into the transmission now, which is why we can actually feel what's going on and get a more precise shift.
Old 7/12/11, 05:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get gear whine in every gear, including 6th at ~2k RPM (right at highway cruise). Pretty annoying. Do you think that'd be a good candidate for the MTL swap? I'd bring it in but frankly I have better things to do with my time than be told it's normal operation. Do you sell just the MTL? I already have the other two pieces installed.
Old 7/12/11, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
I get gear whine in every gear, including 6th at ~2k RPM (right at highway cruise). Pretty annoying. Do you think that'd be a good candidate for the MTL swap? I'd bring it in but frankly I have better things to do with my time than be told it's normal operation. Do you sell just the MTL? I already have the other two pieces installed.
hey man I had my dealership swap fluids in my car from the tsb issued for the fluid swap, seriously consider doing it. It made a night and day difference in shift notchiness honestly and the gear whine has almost completely vanished seriously. I feel like im driving a completely different car and im very very satisfied from the results. The gear whine went from a 5 to .5-1 on a scale of one to ten. Im so happy I got the swap you should think about it!
Old 7/13/11, 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

so the fluid swap helps with gear whine?

i have really bad gear whine in all gears except fifth.
Old 7/14/11, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bigjohns97
so the fluid swap helps with gear whine?

i have really bad gear whine in all gears except fifth.
It helped me and made mine almost entirely vanish except for the very very faint whine in 1st and 2nd that you only hear if you're paying close attention . I didn't use redline I went to my dealer and got the motorcraft fluid issued in the tsb. If you get the swap let me know if it helps you. Mine shifts like a different car now because it's so much smoother. Notchiness in 1st and 2nd is so subtle that it's almost nonexistent and my third gear has been the easiest gear to get into after I swapped and no more faint grind when I go into 3rd. I am very satisfied with my swap. Hope this helps. What is your shifter setup? Do you have the tri-ax and steeda bushing ?

Last edited by Clutchmaster9000; 7/14/11 at 06:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Strano Performance Shift Improvement kit: MT-82 Transmissions