The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   5.0L GT Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/)
-   -   Steeda Tunes? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/steeda-tunes-541315/)

tj@steeda 12/16/16 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER (Post 7002804)
Hey Rene, I'm an engineer and I work in the auto industry on controls software. I think Steeda's request makes a lot of sense. Here is why.

Every engine control unit does some adaptive optimization of vital parameters, like spark advance, air fuel ratio, timing etc. The original software programmed into the engine has a nominal range to all those parameters. Let's say that the factory setting for parameter X is 25 to 50 degrees, with most mustangs running ~35 degrees nominal on average. There are going to be outlines out there, meaning a few Mustangs will run 26 while a few others are running at 49. This can be due to worst case tolerance stack ups, manufacturing deviations, or things being assembles or calibrated just a little off center.

So to me it sounds like your car is one of the ones operating closer to the lower or upper bound. Steeda's tune counts on your car being closer to the nominal value, but it simply is not.

So instead of taking a guess (which is what they would have to do without real data) they are asking you to go back to stock and datalog. This way they can make an educated decision which way to go with their parameter settings. Closer to 25 or closer to 50 in my example. That's what I would do as well. Engineers NEED data.

Hope this helps. :nice:

Yes, what he said, lol :salute:

Best Regards,

TJ

renee29581 12/16/16 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER (Post 7002804)
Hey Rene, I'm an engineer and I work in the auto industry on controls software. I think Steeda's request makes a lot of sense. Here is why.

Every engine control unit does some adaptive optimization of vital parameters, like spark advance, air fuel ratio, timing etc. The original software programmed into the engine has a nominal range to all those parameters. Let's say that the factory setting for parameter X is 25 to 50 degrees, with most mustangs running ~35 degrees nominal on average. There are going to be outlines out there, meaning a few Mustangs will run 26 while a few others are running at 49. This can be due to worst case tolerance stack ups, manufacturing deviations, or things being assembles or calibrated just a little off center.

So to me it sounds like your car is one of the ones operating closer to the lower or upper bound. Steeda's tune counts on your car being closer to the nominal value, but it simply is not.

So instead of taking a guess (which is what they would have to do without real data) they are asking you to go back to stock and datalog. This way they can make an educated decision which way to go with their parameter settings. Closer to 25 or closer to 50 in my example. That's what I would do as well. Engineers NEED data.

Hope this helps. :nice:

ok thanks for chiming in. I will try to do it tomorrow since everything worked out with my semester of school. I'm officially on break!!! Woohoo

renee29581 12/16/16 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by tj@steeda (Post 7002806)
Think of it this way ... if the tune is that good with the stock air box, you may not want to go back to the K & N - another member may want it, putting you in the green.

Trust me, I understand the amount of money you have invested thus far & time spent going through the process - I just want to see this through & take that final step!.

TJ

yea I just wish I could save that money you know but I will get it done

renee29581 12/16/16 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by EF1 (Post 7002805)
If it runs anything like mine with the Steeda CAI and Tune it will be worth it.

yea I just hope I could sell it that's all. It won't be easy trying to sell the k&n tube

5.M0NSTER 12/17/16 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by renee29581 (Post 7002809)
ok thanks for chiming in. I will try to do it tomorrow since everything worked out with my semester of school. I'm officially on break!!! Woohoo

Congrats on being done with school for the semester!

This reminds me. I have a Steeda CAI and tuner combo sitting in the basement waiting for spring to install. There is about 14" of snow outside right now :doh:

I will take a few dataloging traces of cold idle, warm idle and driving around before I put the Steeda intake on. This way if I have issues I will already have a baseline datalog. :)

renee29581 12/17/16 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER (Post 7002833)
Congrats on being done with school for the semester!

This reminds me. I have a Steeda CAI and tuner combo sitting in the basement waiting for spring to install. There is about 14" of snow outside right now :doh:

I will take a few dataloging traces of cold idle, warm idle and driving around before I put the Steeda intake on. This way if I have issues I will already have a baseline datalog. :)

thanks!!
And yes I would do that just in case. Idk if they are having issues because it is just one of those drop in filters with a different intake tube or what!! You will probably have better luck with their CAI. Yuck snow!!! We are suppose to get some flurries here and I want it to stay away!!! Lol

2012GT 12/26/16 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed Steeda 93 tune & CAI at 1,000 miles. I just rolled over 40,000 miles on the way back from their Valdosta shop finishing up my suspension and a few other goodies. That being said, I've had 39,000 miles with their tune and not a hiccup/ check engine light etc. You can't go wrong with Steeda. Matt, Randy and Jamie are the epitomy of customer service and true professionals promoting the Steeda brand at it's finest.

Attachment 182245

boss man 12/27/16 06:17 AM

I also have the 93 Steeda tune with CAI and O2 sensors turned off.
All I can say is Ditto to 2012GT comments.
For a Safe canned tune, Steeda is at the top of the game.
I drive my car without worries. But most important is..... I'm Happy with what I have and knowing Steeda will always be there should I require help.
To be honest, I got the tune only because of the Steeda CAI I installed. Everything else was a bonus...
I'm not a>>Got to squeeze more HP out of this motor guy!

tj@steeda 12/27/16 07:54 AM

Renee,

Have you been able to remove the K & N & load the tune?

As others have said ... you are going to be very happy once we get the tune loaded with the stock airbox.

Best Regards,

TJ

renee29581 12/27/16 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by tj@steeda (Post 7003435)
Renee,

Have you been able to remove the K & N & load the tune?

As others have said ... you are going to be very happy once we get the tune loaded with the stock airbox.

Best Regards,

TJ

hey TJ no the only thing I have been able to do is put my stock tune back on and I haven't been experiencing the idle issues with it. I'm going to try and get it done soon. I've been working 14 hour days. So when I'm off I'm usually sleeping lol. But I'll get it done
thanks

Ruffy07 12/27/16 10:05 AM

Just my thoughts here: I have dealt with many of the major mustang parts houses such as AM, CJ, LMR, Brenspeed and Steeda over the years. Every one will have some issue at some point with a supplier. So far my experiences when an issue has arisen were mostly positive. Sometimes you have to dig in deeper to get a desired result but for the most part I have been treated with respect each time. In regards to Steeda, Matt and crew did a major accommodation for me with a set of gearing on my 07 last summer in the Valdosta shop that I will never forget. When I bought my 2012 the first thing I did was to order a Steeda CAI and their 93 tune. Randy helped quite a bit in making it happen. Huge difference in the power, shifting (auto) and all around daily use. Gas mileage is great as well. So far I am very satisfied with my Steeda tune.

Mr. V 12/28/16 10:07 AM

This is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. After I installed my tune my oil life meter and tire pressure monitor stopped working. I'm assuming this is just happenstance and has nothing to do with my tune. Am I wrong?

2012GT 1/2/17 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 7003479)
This is a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. After I installed my tune my oil life meter and tire pressure monitor stopped working. I'm assuming this is just happenstance and has nothing to do with my tune. Am I wrong?

There's no reason for that to happen installing a tune. Did it reset them or they are just now set at 0?

renee29581 1/2/17 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 7003479)

Put the stock tune back on and see if it starts working again!! The first tune I got from steeda I thought my car was going to fall apart. It was shaking bad and smelt like gas. I was freaking out

Mr. V 1/2/17 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2012GT
There's no reason for that to happen installing a tune. Did it reset them or they are just now set at 0?

The oil life stays at 100% no matter what. The tpms just doesn't work. I check my pressure all the time out of habit and I had a low tire and no warning. I also swapped the rims to my winter set and nothing happened.

tj@steeda 1/2/17 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 7003872)
The oil life stays at 100% no matter what. The tpms just doesn't work. I check my pressure all the time out of habit and I had a low tire and no warning. I also swapped the rims to my winter set and nothing happened.

That is very peculiar & the first I have I have seen of that - with or without a tune.

I will see if our tuning dept. has any insight to what may be taking place.

Best Regards,

TJ

EF1 1/3/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 7003872)

After reading this I checked my oil life monitor it is still sitting at 100% as well. I can't remember the last time that I reset it. I change my oil based on mileage, not the oil life meter, so I never noticed before. I am not sure about the tpms, but I assume it is not working either as well. The tire pressure light usually comes on when it gets colder out and I add a couple pounds. It hasn't happened lately either, but I haven't been driving the car much either.

Mr. V 1/4/17 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by EF1
After reading this I checked my oil life monitor it is still sitting at 100% as well. I can't remember the last time that I reset it. I change my oil based on mileage, not the oil life meter, so I never noticed before. I am not sure about the tpms, but I assume it is not working either as well. The tire pressure light usually comes on when it gets colder out and I add a couple pounds. It hasn't happened lately either, but I haven't been driving the car much either.

I guess I'm not the only one. Thank you for sharing.

EF1 1/7/17 08:26 AM

tj@steeda any info on the oil life monitor/tpms affects of the Steeda tunes yet?

tj@steeda 1/7/17 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by EF1 (Post 7004252)
tj@steeda any info on the oil life monitor/tpms affects of the Steeda tunes yet?

Yes and there feedback is, that is a question for SCT & their software.

Our lead tuner, James has never heard of or seen that.

Steeda does not change anything that effects the aforementioned.

If it is programmer related, it may be a firmware issue.

Best Regards,

TJ