Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda tune vs ProCal tune

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/16, 04:41 PM
Len
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steeda tune vs ProCal tune

I've been running the Ford Racing ProCal tune for almost two years and I'm very happy with it. The only issue I've had is that, about once a year, it will stall at idle. The fix is a ProCal "Profile Relearn" which lasts me about a year and then the stalling returns. It's an annoyance that, based on posts to various Mustang forums, Ford Racing claims they're unaware of - a claim I don't believe.
So I think it's time for a change. I don't need the most aggressive tune and at my level of mods, I don't believe there will be a big difference between any of the major tuners. I'm more interested in driveability and reliability than an all out tune.

I like Steeda products and the fact that they have a relationship with Ford. I assume that their 93 Octane tune will have a little more kick than the 91 tune from FRPP with the same or better driveability - minus the stalling.

Has anyone here gone from ProCal to Steeda or visa versa? Was it worth the switch?
Old 6/3/16, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the Steeda Life Time Tunes with the SCT X4 Tuner, I'm running the 93 octane tune right now in my 2013 GT and it's friggin awesome.
I was looking at the Ford Procal but after doing extensive searching, I decided on Steeda and I'm very glad I did.
Old 6/3/16, 12:46 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tourer
I have the Steeda Life Time Tunes with the SCT X4 Tuner, I'm running the 93 octane tune right now in my 2013 GT and it's friggin awesome.
I was looking at the Ford Procal but after doing extensive searching, I decided on Steeda and I'm very glad I did.

I run the BAMA 93 Octane Race tune on my 2012 convertible automatic. It rocks, the stock lazy shifting is gone. I love it.
Old 6/3/16, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FNG here.

I was looking at both those tunes for my newly acquired 2011 5.0 6speed 373 geared 5.0. I'm leaning towards the Steeda. As a daily driver and family man, durability is important more so than extracting every last HP out of the motor. I'd swear my old '90 5.0 with 300hp was faster than my current one. Maybe it's because the new one feels more refined. Curious as to how your search turns out.
Old 6/5/16, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go with a steeda tune. Super safe and yet make great power, pulling really hard till redline (similar to my datalogged tune from another tuner).
Old 6/6/16, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The 2011-12 stock tunes suck a big fat one. I couldn't stand it when I bought my 2012 new. It didn't feel like 400+ at alI. Gutless off the bottom, skip shift, rev hang, just gawdawful. I went Procal and ran 11s on a sticky tire with no other motor mods, in a fully loaded BBP car.

My new 14 had a much better factory tune but, I still tuned with VMP, bc automatic.
Old 6/6/16, 10:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Yes go with Steeda ... safe, powerful and reliable ... it's a great trio!

The tunes for life is a great deal and you won't be disappointed, happy to help, you can email me at tim@steeda.com

Best regards,

TJ
Old 6/6/16, 11:46 AM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5LHO
The 2011-12 stock tunes suck a big fat one. I couldn't stand it when I bought my 2012 new. It didn't feel like 400+ at alI. Gutless off the bottom, skip shift, rev hang, just gawdawful. I went Procal and ran 11s on a sticky tire with no other motor mods, in a fully loaded BBP car.

My new 14 had a much better factory tune but, I still tuned with VMP, bc automatic.
I agree - the ProCal tune was a big improvement and if I didn't have to do a profile relearn every so often, I'd keep it. I'm considering Steeda because, out of the box, it will probaby have the fewest issues. That's not a knock on other tunes as there are a lot of good tuners out there.
Old 6/8/16, 07:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
But....it's 5 minutes work once a year to do the profile relearn, BFD. Every once in a while I had to do it as well, because the gas quality where I am is quite variable throughout the year. Part of the issue may be the infamous crank sensor O-ring if you have to repeatedly relearn the profile.

You won't find the Steeda tune stronger than the Procal but, you're right, they do revisions and use better hardware.
Old 6/8/16, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
steeda tune isnt stronger than a pro cal tune???????
Old 6/9/16, 10:44 AM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5LHO
But....it's 5 minutes work once a year to do the profile relearn, BFD. Every once in a while I had to do it as well, because the gas quality where I am is quite variable throughout the year. Part of the issue may be the infamous crank sensor O-ring if you have to repeatedly relearn the profile.

You won't find the Steeda tune stronger than the Procal but, you're right, they do revisions and use better hardware.
It's not the 5 minutes to do the relearn, it's the stalling that's annoying. Not so bad when sitting at a light but it's happened to me while making a turn while down shifting. It is a nice tune though and you turned great times with it. It's probably the best bang for the buck tune - I paid under $300 and it includes a K&N filter. Other than the annual stalling, I'm happy with it.
Old 6/11/16, 05:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not worth the switch. The Steeda tune is meh at best.