Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda is Officially Taking Orders on the Cam Idle Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/12, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Cam tune on my car from Lund, I don't run it (the Cam tune) all the time cause it does affect the driveability of the car, only in the fact that its like driving a car with a real Cam. I also don't have Cats on my car so yes it does have a certain oder to it when its running. I drive my car less then 5,000 miles a year so i'm emissions exempt here in PA. There is a link somewhere on Youtube that has my car running with the Cam tune, i'll have to see if i can find it.

Last edited by 2011GB/CS; 3/6/12 at 02:24 PM.
Old 3/6/12, 02:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stang8psi
I was just giving for warning! And it will ruin the cats faster, Good sales Pitch. Question, If i continue to pour gas on my cats more than they are recomended to see, what problems will they have? Your response um nothing cause they aren't designed to last forever??? Really? instead of testing on a car with HFC or a car with no cats maybe you should have done your extensive testing on a stock car for a period of time and let us know how it works out! Both The Lund and AED yes I know both tunes... Both smelled like rotten **** when started after cold start. Yours cant be far from either of those 2, And why is it it stinks gus? IS it because of all the extra fuel from the insane overlap at idle? Could be, so if I run this for a year and my cats are burning up it's ok because gus said they aren't supposed to last forever!!! Seriously. Not Knocking the tune or your abilities but both sean and Lund said they recomend not to use there tune with cats! So why not yours?
Shaun's AED tune does not lope until you have achieved target temperatures for both coolant and oil. It actually takes quite some time before it will lope. It was fine with stock cats. When I removed the cats, the exhaust stench naturally increased all around. That is not really the issue. The issue is that I am 42 and, frankly, I don't feel like sitting in a car that shakes like a paint mixer at idle on a daily basis. The tune is great, does exactly what it is supposed to do and is 100% driveable with no issues whatsoever. I just find it to be a PITA for daily use, that is all. Also, Shaun never told me that this tune would be detrimental to cats, I asked him that question specifically.

And, with the right exhaust....it is a bad mother:

Mike

Last edited by mbreinin; 3/6/12 at 02:17 PM.
Old 3/6/12, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

And, with the right exhaust....it is a bad mother:

]

Agree 100% with this statement
Old 3/6/12, 03:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can only imagine what it will sound like with my Bassani axle backs...
Old 3/6/12, 09:02 PM
GT Member

I just thought that smell was me !! Well, so far I do not have any kind of smell out of my car. The videos I made of the car are with it running in my garage that is attached to my house. Gus explained how the tune works, It starts normal and until it gets warmed up it runs normal, you have to blip the pedal once it is warmed up to get the cam turn to start running. Once you have the cam tune is running as soon as you increase the idol the car runs completely normal, only at low idle will it run with the cam tune. So when you start moving the vehicle it runs normal, when you come to a stop the tune kicks in, I have not been able to drive the car much so I don't have any long term feedback.

I don't believe Steeda would put out a product that they did not test or that would knowingly cause problems, I feel comfortable with Steeda products or I wouldn't have installed them on my 1500 mile vehicle. They have been around since the late 80's

As far as having this tune on a daily driver, that would be up to the individual. I haven't driven the car enough with this tune installed to see if I would like it all the time. The good part is the SCT tuner holds 3 tunes and can be changed at any time. I just got my new dd yesterday, it's a Fusion Hybrid, you can't get much smoother/quieter that that .

I can't wait till it warms up and I can get my car out and enjoy it.
Old 3/7/12, 05:46 AM
GT Member

Again I am not Saying the tune sucks or this and that, Just stating the for warnings of running the "lope" tune With stock cats for A long period of time! Most everyone that has the tune ie AED,lund either takes the tune off due to the smell, or takes the stock mid pipe off...
Sounds to me that you are saying the tune sucks. I'm not getting the tune because I don't want the lopey idle. I've been running a steeda tune on my 12 since shortly after purchasing the car and have had zero issues. Gus and the folks at steeda will not push the envelope to the point of causing problems. That's why I am 100% comfortable with their tunes.
Old 3/7/12, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

I was just giving for warning! And it will ruin the cats faster, Good sales Pitch.
You really should re-read my post. I posted actual tech referencing cam angles at startup, idle kickdown timers, etc. Tech is not a sales pitch.

]If i continue to pour gas on my cats more than they are recomended to see, what problems will they have?
Thats the point. You are NOT as you say pouring more gas on the cats on cold start. You either didnt read what I posted or just don't understand what I explained. So read what I said again carefully, hopefully you will get it.

maybe you should have done your extensive testing on a stock car for a period of time and let us know how it works out!
We took well over a year after other people released their cam tunes before we released ours for a reason. The same Steeda Sport that has been all over the magazines and just went a 10.88 at almost 127 on STOCK CATS at Bradenton last weekend was one of our test cars. That car has never had the cats off it and has been beat to death. With all its been through the cats are still perfect. Again these are my facts, not a factless opinion or a sales pitch.

Originally Posted by dwtc
Well, so far I do not have any kind of smell out of my car.
Thank you for the factual observation.

Here is another factual observation. If you stand right next to the rear exhaust on a true cold start on a STOCK tune, you will detect a bit of richness in the exhaust at first. With our tune it behaves the exact same way.
Old 3/7/12, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

woo hoo, cant wait for the auto!!!!
Old 3/7/12, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus

You really should re-read my post. I posted actual tech referencing cam angles at startup, idle kickdown timers, etc. Tech is not a sales pitch.

Thats the point. You are NOT as you say pouring more gas on the cats on cold start. You either didnt read what I posted or just don't understand what I explained. So read what I said again carefully, hopefully you will get it.

We took well over a year after other people released their cam tunes before we released ours for a reason. The same Steeda Sport that has been all over the magazines and just went a 10.88 at almost 127 on STOCK CATS at Bradenton last weekend was one of our test cars. That car has never had the cats off it and has been beat to death. With all its been through the cats are still perfect. Again these are my facts, not a factless opinion or a sales pitch.

Thank you for the factual observation.

Here is another factual observation. If you stand right next to the rear exhaust on a true cold start on a STOCK tune, you will detect a bit of richness in the exhaust at first. With our tune it behaves the exact same way.
Hey Gus do you offer a tune for stupid?? I think that guy could use one.
Old 3/7/12, 10:11 AM
Cobra Member

cant fix stupid, its been tried...
Old 3/7/12, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Last edited by stang8psi; 10/26/13 at 03:33 PM.
Old 3/7/12, 09:41 PM
V6 Member

My cai/tuner from Gus got shipped out tonite. Also got the cam idle tune as the third slot. Can't wait to get it on the car. Been waiting since last wed for it. Few more days now.
Old 3/8/12, 10:52 AM
V6 Member

Parts will be installed tomorrow when package arrives at my work. Shouldn't take long to install. And start enjoying the new found power and acceleration.
Old 3/8/12, 09:29 PM
GT Member

Gus, I'm at the Bar drinking Vodka and red bull, just emailed Don, want to get new tune tomorrow. I'm walking distance to home LOl. This will suffice until my stroker comes in. Ive been running a Steeda 93 octane Tune since August 2010 on my 5.0, with 2 revisions since, all I can say is 120+ mph in 1/4 mile and 11 second E.T.s. No issues, good mpg, and at under 6K miles no problems. BTW the Steeda suspension and Tokico D specs kick ***. The aluminium drive shaft doesn't hurt either. Need boost bad like an addict needs crack.
Old 3/9/12, 10:37 AM
V6 Member

Parts on and bout to fire up with the cam idle tune first.
Old 3/9/12, 02:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
And.....
Old 3/9/12, 03:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm having a really hard time not adding this to my inventory of tunes.
Old 3/9/12, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
And.....
he is still outside listening to it ammazed....
Old 3/9/12, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ShaneGT

he is still outside listening to it ammazed....
Lol..
Old 3/9/12, 10:17 PM
V6 Member

Cam idle tune sound even better in person. Only bad thing is I got tunes for 93 octane when I wanted 91. Throttle response is better on 87 than the 93. I knew the 93 wasn't true so I'm running the 87 performance tune with '93' octane.

Quick Reply: Steeda is Officially Taking Orders on the Cam Idle Tunes