Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Started lite mods

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/13, 07:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'track pack' springs?

lol if you're gonna pull apart the camber settings and redo alignment you should throw on real sport springs while you have the assembly off the car...

but to each his own. The improved dampers will help feel but nothing controls brake dive and shimmy than a tighter rate spring.
Old 3/8/13, 07:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I totally get what you guys are saying about the Sport springs, but like I said, I'm happy with the ride height and performance of the suspension in general.

The TP spring rates are not the same as the GT's, so if you've driven one you will notice how much tighter the car feels while tossing it around, but there is definitely ground to be gained with performance-oriented dampers. Every major publication that's tracked the TP has commented on how under damped the car is.

"The softer the springs are, the more body roll you will get. The valving of the shocks will determine how fast you get to that maximum roll point."

For this particular car's suspension, I like how tenacious the grip is once it takes a set in the corner. The new dampers will only enhance what I already enjoy about the car. There may be a time when I do decide to lower it, but that's not going to be anytime soon.

I've had 5 cars that I lowered using reputable products and I'm done with scraping ramps and kissing parking stops - even if I clear most of them, I enjoy being able to move my car all of the way into my parking spaces to the point where my tires touch the bar.

On top of this, once I lower the car, I'm going to want to start changing the LCAs, UCA, PB, and etc. Lowering the car will send me straight down the rabbit hole to a place I'm not prepared to go.

Whatchagonnado?

Last edited by fdesalvo; 3/8/13 at 07:54 AM.
Old 3/8/13, 08:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fdesalvo
I totally get what you guys are saying about the Sport springs, but like I said, I'm happy with the ride height and performance of the suspension in general.

The TP spring rates are not the same as the GT's, so if you've driven one you will notice how much tighter the car feels while tossing it around, but there is definitely ground to be gained with performance-oriented dampers. Every major publication that's tracked the TP has commented on how under damped the car is.

"The softer the springs are, the more body roll you will get. The valving of the shocks will determine how fast you get to that maximum roll point."

For this particular car's suspension, I like how tenacious the grip is once it takes a set in the corner. The new dampers will only enhance what I already enjoy about the car. There may be a time when I do decide to lower it, but that's not going to be anytime soon.

I've had 5 cars that I lowered using reputable products and I'm done with scraping ramps and kissing parking stops - even if I clear most of them, I enjoy being able to move my car all of the way into my parking spaces to the point where my tires touch the bar.

On top of this, once I lower the car, I'm going to want to start changing the LCAs, UCA, PB, and etc. Lowering the car will send me straight down the rabbit hole to a place I'm not prepared to go.

Whatchagonnado?
I hope this doesn't come off as pushy but if its possible, I would drive a car with springs and shocks. I was considering a number if set ups because my apartment has these horrible bumps and evil streets around it.

I considered the keeping my stocks and adding shocks. My car has the brembo brake package so I think my shocks and springs are similar or the same as yours. Everything I read seemed to point to the tandem being changed to get the best results. Not just handling but comfort as well.

I also looked at buying a boss take off suspension. My best friends boss set to 2 is amazingly comfortable and capable at the same time. This might be a good choice for you. It lowers the front half an inch and the rear almost nothing. I don't believe you would need any of the alignment junk I had to buy. I have the Koni sports and steeda sport springs and I would rate this set up as more comfortable and just as capable as my set up.

My car is actually set to full soft with the suspension described above. It is a bit stiffer than I would prefer but way better than my brembo springs. It is flatter and inspires confidence. If you are willing to drive some, you could test my car. The amusement I received from reading your review makes me feel like I owe you something anyway.

I'd hate for you to go through all the work to change the shocks and realize after you want springs. I do think the strt shocks are a great choice. I half wish I had bought those instead. Good luck with your ride!
Old 3/8/13, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Whatchagonnado?
Fair enough, but I will say this... I don't believe your "Track Pack" springs are any different than the "Brembo Brake Package" springs included on the '11-'12 GT's. They made no changes to the suspension in that regards.

I definitely understand how you feel about lowering your ride... I was in the same boat, but did it anyway. I didn't do it for the looks. I did it for the improvement in brake dive, body roll, and control consistency. A huge improvement across the board! Does it have its negatives... absolutely. Harsher ride on bad road surfaces, excessive ramp angle scrapes, parking space bar touchdowns, etc. I have scraped the Boss 302 Splitter quite a few times, scraped the Boss 302 Transmission Cooling Scope once exiting a bank parking lot, and finally touched down on my Kooks Muffler Tips yesterday exiting a gas station.

For me, and a few others, the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Old 3/8/13, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I hope this doesn't come off as pushy but if its possible..
Ha! Your words are wise indeed, my friend. I'm a thick skinned cat from way down south, so it takes more than good advice to rile me up.

Being able to test a car with the setup I'm considering would be ideal, too. You guys make it difficult not have an open mind about things. Lot's to consider and I appreciate your offer and advice. Looking fw to meeting up at a local meet at some point, too.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 3/8/13 at 09:01 AM.
Old 3/8/13, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Whatchagonnado?
Scraping problem solved!

http://www.myhotmustang.com/Air-Lift...-77779/867449/

Old 3/8/13, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Plus! If you ever wanted to participate in a Normandy-styled, sea-based invasion, you could just pump that sucker up and ride in on the tide like a boss.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 3/8/13 at 10:28 AM.
Old 3/11/13, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I hate you guys. I ordered the steeda sports. And I hate you guys.
Old 3/11/13, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
LMAO .... nice !
Old 3/11/13, 06:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Welcome to the dark side
Old 3/11/13, 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frank - we own your ****...you will do whatever we tell you to do!!!

Seriously - good call on those Steeda Sports. At some point I will probably get a set of Koni Sports and Steeda Sports along with the Steeda HD upper mounts.

9 days and counting until my car is supposed to arrive...then a few more for the dealer prep and hopefully a weekend pickup. This is like waiting for a first child to be born...
Old 3/12/13, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Just ordered Whiteline Adj PB and PB Brace. Will hold off on LCAs/Relo Brackets unless there are traction issues mwahahaha. *Reserving "Starting Heavy Mods" title*

Originally Posted by Gabe
LMAO .... nice !
NO!

Welcome to the dark side
TY. My S2000 won't even look at me anymore.

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
Frank - we own your ****...you will do whatever we tell you to do!!!

Seriously - good call on those Steeda Sports. At some point I will probably get a set of Koni Sports and Steeda Sports along with the Steeda HD upper mounts.

9 days and counting until my car is supposed to arrive...then a few more for the dealer prep and hopefully a weekend pickup. This is like waiting for a first child to be born...
I bet your car arrives a few days earlier! Really stoked for you. The funny thing is your first reaction may be to think you love it stock! These cars are really great right out of the box.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 3/12/13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 3/13/13, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Uh ohhhhhh GT500s. PLUS I measured the front's ground clearance; with the Sports installed, the car will still clear standard height parking lot bumpers!

Last edited by fdesalvo; 3/13/13 at 08:16 AM.
Old 3/13/13, 09:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Uh ohhhhhh GT500s. PLUS I measured the front's ground clearance; with the Sports installed, the car will still clear standard height parking lot bumpers!
I have them on my car. You'll love them. If you can keep it below 3000 rpm, it's pretty quiet. You pass that and magic happens. More penn and teller less sigfried and Roy. Well maybe more like when the tiger ate Roy. Yes, it's like that. Oh, and no drone. Congrats on your purchase!
Old 3/13/13, 09:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I have them on my car. You'll love them. If you can keep it below 3000 rpm, it's pretty quiet. You pass that and magic happens. More penn and teller less sigfried and Roy. Well maybe more like when the tiger ate Roy. Yes, it's like that. Oh, and no drone. Congrats on your purchase!

Haha nice analogy. I was about to say I was looking forward to banging my knuckles this weekend, but I can only imagine how it would be interpreted.
Old 3/13/13, 09:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Haha nice analogy. I was about to say I was looking forward to banging my knuckles this weekend, but I can only imagine how it would be interpreted.
Lol. Probably a wise choice. I'll look forward to reading your review.
Old 3/13/13, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Lol. Probably a wise choice. I'll look forward to reading your review.
I look forward to writing one! I'm gonna put the new race ramps on notice.

Old 3/13/13, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frank - are those the single tip GT500's?

Have you thought about painting the back part of the muffler ( NOT the exhaust tips ) with some high temp flat or semi-gloss black so you can't see them from the rear of the car? That's one thing I don't like about the rear view...seeing the backside of the mufflers.
Old 3/13/13, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
Frank - are those the single tip GT500's?

Have you thought about painting the back part of the muffler ( NOT the exhaust tips ) with some high temp flat or semi-gloss black so you can't see them from the rear of the car? That's one thing I don't like about the rear view...seeing the backside of the mufflers.
Yep - 1-tip'ers. You better believe it! I'm going to Lowe's to pick up some flat hi temp bbq/grill paint. One thing - I wish these had nice rolled tips, but meh. It's nice enough.
Old 3/13/13, 12:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I painted mine and the rear end looks 10x much cleaner than looking at the aluminum,left the tips stock.

Quick Reply: Started lite mods