Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Skipping when accelerating over a bump?

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/12, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skipping when accelerating over a bump?

Is this wheel hop? I usually hear people talking about wheel hop when launching, so a bit confused. And is this cured with LCA's, UCA's? Which ones are recommended? A search didn't generate exactly what I needed to know. Tx.
Old 9/1/12, 05:24 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
are flooring it over bumps? if yes. why?
Old 9/1/12, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I've always associated this happening with the solid rear axle.
Old 9/1/12, 05:27 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

it has to do with a axle but can be avoided with good driving habits
Old 9/1/12, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Advancetrac kicking in is my guess.
Old 9/1/12, 06:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Its a solid rear axle thing. Aftermarket suspension will not cure this. My 2kgt does this with all after market rear suspension components. And no traction control.
Old 9/1/12, 06:40 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
it has to do with a axle but can be avoided with good driving habits
Yeppers!

Just maintain your throttle or a tad more. Under acceleration it grabs. Learn your 'seat of the pants' driving.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/1/12 at 06:42 PM.
Old 9/1/12, 06:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Yeppers!

Just maintain your throttle or a tad more. Under acceleration it grabs. Learn your 'seat of the pants' driving.
It only happens when you're accelerating over the bump, like a slight bump or drop in the rode. It's that mere moment the wheels aren't on the ground that they gain a tad bit of speed and when they drop back down you feel it as a jolt.

Am I right?
Old 9/1/12, 07:43 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by cpotts13
It only happens when you're accelerating over the bump, like a slight bump or drop in the rode. It's that mere moment the wheels aren't on the ground that they gain a tad bit of speed and when they drop back down you feel it as a jolt.

Am I right?
That 'jolt' is the tires grabbing. I rarely even have to correct the wheel. The suspension setup just grabs. The worst thing you can do though is let off on the bump out of fear.

Its like snow - you need some forward rotation of the rear wheels to get you back in the grove so to speak. If you let off - that's when you lose it and wind up in the ditch. Likewise though, if you floor it you can lose forward traction. I just modestly accelerate - correct only if necessary, and let the forward rotation regain traction. Once a driver learns this it becomes automatic - whether on snow or dry pavement.

My car handles twisties best when I am under light acceleration through the curve. So I brake ahead of time, choose the correct gear to get my rpm's in the power band, and accelerate through the turn. Between the weight transfer, and the added traction to the rear wheels, it gives complete confidence.
Old 9/1/12, 08:29 PM
Cobra R Member

That 'jolt' is the tires grabbing. I rarely even have to correct the wheel. The suspension setup just grabs. The worst thing you can do though is let off on the bump out of fear.

Its like snow - you need some forward rotation of the rear wheels to get you back in the grove so to speak. If you let off - that's when you lose it and wind up in the ditch. Likewise though, if you floor it you can lose forward traction. I just modestly accelerate - correct only if necessary, and let the forward rotation regain traction. Once a driver learns this it becomes automatic - whether on snow or dry pavement.

My car handles twisties best when I am under light acceleration through the curve. So I brake ahead of time, choose the correct gear to get my rpm's in the power band, and accelerate through the turn. Between the weight transfer, and the added traction to the rear wheels, it gives complete confidence.
I don't think we were talking about the same thing.. but I'm confused now!
On a side note, my car has a ton of suspension work and I do not have any wheel hop whatsoever
Old 9/1/12, 08:35 PM
Post *****

I think we're on the same page.

Its been the same on every SRA I've owned and I have hundreds of thousands of miles in all conditions. My British roadster was the same and was a great handler, but my Bullitt sticks the best. The lesson is the same - under acceleration you may feel the momentary 'skip' from the bump in the road in the heat of the curve, but the acceleration is what re-hooks the quickest and the safest to where there is no loss of control. Contrary to what the IRS fans say about SRA.
Old 9/2/12, 08:56 AM

Thank you guys for all the responses. Well, don't think I'm driving that erratically, I don't even need to be going fast for the skip to happen. I'm also not purposefully speeding up over bumps, it's just that most of the streets where I live are riddled with holes and bumps, so it's unavoidable. Just thought perhaps there was a mod for this . Now the advantage of having a single rear axle is more torque? or the power gets put down to the road in a more linear, direct fashion? What is the reason Ford chooses to keep this setup? Oh and I almost always turn all the nannies off.

Last edited by alphastang; 9/2/12 at 08:59 AM.
Old 9/2/12, 10:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by alphastang
Thank you guys for all the responses. Well, don't think I'm driving that erratically, I don't even need to be going fast for the skip to happen. I'm also not purposefully speeding up over bumps, it's just that most of the streets where I live are riddled with holes and bumps, so it's unavoidable. Just thought perhaps there was a mod for this . Now the advantage of having a single rear axle is more torque? or the power gets put down to the road in a more linear, direct fashion? What is the reason Ford chooses to keep this setup? Oh and I almost always turn all the nannies off.
Ford has kept it for the mustang because they haven't spent the money to develop a good IRS. Although there will be IRS on the 15my.
Old 9/2/12, 12:16 PM
Post *****

What is the reason Ford chooses to keep this setup?
I could be wrong but I always assume responses like this are from younger guys. That prob grew up on a Japanese FWD.
For us that are about 40 and up that grew up on SRA can drive it like second nature. SRA is tough, dependable, well known, and a very driveable & consistent setup - that million of drivers have learned on. We have no problems with it whatsoever - bumpy two lane twisties or sweeping freeway with uneven expansion joints or at the drag strip.
So you can either learn it or not. Just like driving a FWD has its own characteristics, so does SRA.
Best way to learn is get a big parking lot full of snow go power sliding.
Good luck!

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/2/12 at 12:17 PM.
Old 9/2/12, 08:23 PM

I could be wrong but I always assume responses like this are from younger guys. That prob grew up on a Japanese FWD.
For us that are about 40 and up that grew up on SRA can drive it like second nature. SRA is tough, dependable, well known, and a very driveable & consistent setup - that million of drivers have learned on. We have no problems with it whatsoever - bumpy two lane twisties or sweeping freeway with uneven expansion joints or at the drag strip.
So you can either learn it or not. Just like driving a FWD has its own characteristics, so does SRA.
Good luck!
Don't get defensive expert driver guy. I'm not young and I didn't grow up on fwd cars lol. You know what they say about assuming things... I just needed to know what are the advantages of this setup. I love my car and I think it's an incredible machine, am I blind to some of its' shortcomings, no.
Old 9/2/12, 08:32 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

its cheap, light and works well for drag racing. irs tends to break during drag racing.
Old 9/2/12, 08:34 PM
Post *****

Good luck!
Don't get defensive expert driver guy. I'm not young and I didn't grow up on fwd cars lol. You know what they say about assuming things... I just needed to know what are the advantages of this setup. I love my car and I think it's an incredible machine, am I blind to some of its' shortcomings, no.
Take it easy friend. You're taking me the wrong way. Didn't mean to stir anything up. I'm 56 and Class of '74 and everybody my age group just 'gets' SRA. Yet anyone can learn like we did. That's all I'm sayin'. And that I love my SRA Mustang! I don't need and I don't want IRS.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/2/12 at 08:37 PM.
Old 9/3/12, 10:26 AM

Take it easy friend. You're taking me the wrong way. Didn't mean to stir anything up. I'm 56 and Class of '74 and everybody my age group just 'gets' SRA. Yet anyone can learn like we did. That's all I'm sayin'. And that I love my SRA Mustang! I don't need and I don't want IRS.

I hate being called young!!! And grew up on Japanese FWD arghhhh!!!
No but seriously I think I did take you the wrong way, thanks for the responses partner.