Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Shifter mod prototype

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/14, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter mod prototype

Hey guys I'm testing a prototype mod to address shifting issues. Please don't get mad I can't talk about details really at this point because I haven't done any patent documentation yet, too early. I'm just excited about it because initial testing has been so promising, I haven't been able to miss a gear and that's with power shifting, quick shifting and every situation I can think of. I just wanted to gage interest. Moderators if this is the wrong place to post this or if the post violates any forum rules please delete it and give me some guidance.
If all works well I hope to have a version ready for people to flog in a few weeks. I'm aiming at sub $100 price range but again I'm on rev1 of the design and it could very well change.
Old 8/27/14, 03:19 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GapRider
Hey guys I'm testing a prototype mod to address shifting issues. Please don't get mad I can't talk about details really at this point because I haven't done any patent documentation yet, too early. I'm just excited about it because initial testing has been so promising, I haven't been able to miss a gear and that's with power shifting, quick shifting and every situation I can think of. I just wanted to gage interest. Moderators if this is the wrong place to post this or if the post violates any forum rules please delete it and give me some guidance.
If all works well I hope to have a version ready for people to flog in a few weeks. I'm aiming at sub $100 price range but again I'm on rev1 of the design and it could very well change.
I am interested in a "Sub $100" solution but not so much without even a hint of how it works.
Hope whatever you are working on is awesome. I anxiously await details.
Old 8/27/14, 06:15 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BBM3
I am interested in a "Sub $100" solution but not so much without even a hint of how it works.
Hope whatever you are working on is awesome. I anxiously await details.
Thanks for the reply, I will definitely post updates as I progress. Right now I'm testing mine and making preps for having a handful produced
Old 8/27/14, 06:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Will it work with an MGW? If so, I'd test a prototype for you!
Old 8/27/14, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm totally stock. Ill test one as well if you are willing to send one. My 4 to 5 shift is terrible under high RPM (5k+)
Old 8/27/14, 07:13 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by laserred38
Will it work with an MGW? If so, I'd test a prototype for you!
Originally Posted by pminri
I'm totally stock. Ill test one as well if you are willing to send one. My 4 to 5 shift is terrible under high RPM (5k+)
Thanks guys. I'll need to get patent process far enough along to protect me and then I can get a few out for further testing. I will keep you updated
Old 8/28/14, 01:57 AM
Former Vendor

Have you looked at the blowfish kit?
Old 8/28/14, 05:59 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Have you looked at the blowfish kit?
Yea I saw the site last night while doing some probing.
Old 8/28/14, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yea I saw the site last night while doing some probing.
Are you doing something similar to them or is this something completely new?
Old 8/28/14, 11:34 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
just so I'm reading this correctly, you, OP, are the designer and builder of this "prototype" kit? And you're testing it for yourself and gauging interest of the community?

Or are you testing the prototype of some other company?

Either way, details when ready, please.
Old 8/28/14, 01:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks guys. I'll need to get patent process far enough along to protect me and then I can get a few out for further testing. I will keep you updated
You could start the process and then have an NDA written up to cover you from the testers giving the info out.
Old 8/28/14, 06:30 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FromZto5
just so I'm reading this correctly, you, OP, are the designer and builder of this "prototype" kit? And you're testing it for yourself and gauging interest of the community?

Or are you testing the prototype of some other company?

Either way, details when ready, please.
Testing the thing I designed, gaging receptivity

Originally Posted by newpony
Are you doing something similar to them or is this something completely new?
I haven't seen a match in all the shift improvement products I've seen, Patent office will decide in the end

Originally Posted by Brandon302
You could start the process and then have an NDA written up to cover you from the testers giving the info out.
I'll feel comfortable sending a few out after I have confirmation the patent application is received.

All you guys, thank you very much for your input and demonstrated interest. I don't really have anything else to add until I get my patent application in, which I'm hot on right now. I promise updates to this thread as soon as I have them and I will go to this thread to randomly send a few test units out. Again, thank you
Old 8/28/14, 07:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I think there is allot of people that would be interested in getting these car to shift Crisp every time.

Count me in for one or I will test one as well.

Some of the idea I have seen never really address the issue. Some are just way to expensive.

The ones I have looked at with all the modes including a new shifter are half the cost of a new trans.
Old 8/29/14, 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

this thread is a waste without some kind of idea, picture, or anything to even get interest!
Old 8/29/14, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stang8psi
this thread is a waste without some kind of idea, picture, or anything to even get interest!
Something tells me is going to be something similar to the BlowFish design but maybe different attachment points and perhaps cheaper. Will see I guess.
Old 8/5/15, 07:26 PM
Former Vendor

Almost a year since I started this thread! I've been testing and revising and now have a version I'm happy with. The first design was aimed at sub $100 but was not strong enough for my liking. I wanted to make the shifter as rigid as if it were integral to the transmission. It's been working great on my car for a few months. It will work with all shifters that retain the stock shifter body and should work with the original MGW also but I haven't been able to get one to test. PM me if you have an original MGW shifter and want to try this mounting system.

Check it out here - www.gapriderracing.com Feedback is welcome!
Thanks,
Eddie

GapRider Racing rigid shifter mount system for 11-14 Mustang GT

Last edited by GapRider; 8/5/15 at 07:33 PM.
Old 8/5/15, 07:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Shifter mod prototype

I just came across this thread. My car is at the dealer for diagnosis of transmission issues. I have a first gen MGW installed, and have an uninstalled Blowfish bracket with MGW mount, but I wanted to have the transmission diagnosed first.

I'd be down to try your design out though!
Old 8/5/15, 07:39 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
I wish you success with your new product.
Old 8/5/15, 08:10 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SpectreH
I wish you success with your new product.
thanks! I'm excited about it Spectre. I've been designing improvement modifications to machinery for over 25 years, I like things to work they way the should and just couldn't live with the stock shifter mounts so I jumped on it. Just like the other product on my site, it was something I wanted/needed so I designed it and then offered it up thinking other people would want it as well.
Old 8/6/15, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Looking at the picture. The bottom support arm is located at the bottom of the trans in the center. It then rises up to meet the bottom of the shifter to support it. How does this impact the driveshaft.
The blowfish bracket cradles the drive shaft up to the bottom of the shifter. Also giving you a DS safety loop.
Also with soild mounts you will get alot of noise transmitted through the trans to the shifter.
Designing products for the market is a very tough road to travel. You will have people who love it and people who will tear it apart. I do wish you the very best in following what you believe in. You have the right idea with making the shifter solid and follow the movment of the trans under load. Thats what Blowfish and MGW did in designing there products. I think the only way you will able to compete is to have a product as good as the BF bracket and be cheaper in price but not quality. I have the first protype and the first massed prouduced BF bracket. There have been many changes from bgining to end because of different shifter setups and complaints. Its a long road that will take time and money. But in the end....We all know that Mustang owners will treat there baby to a product if it does what it promotes and the price is right.
Good Luck and Kudos to you>>> Follow your Dream....
Please keep us posted

Quick Reply: Shifter mod prototype