5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Safest tune for coyote?

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/14, 10:41 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safest tune for coyote?

I'm thinking about a tune and wondering everyone's opinion is on what the safest and best tune.
Old 7/12/14, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
The original FRPP performance cal along with an oil separator I think would be the safest. And worst case, you'd still have full warranty.
Old 7/12/14, 11:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
The original FRPP performance cal along with an oil separator I think would be the safest. And worst case, you'd still have full warranty.
I had hear that it would void my warranty. Do you know anyone that has one and if they like it?
Old 7/12/14, 05:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2011gt5.0
I had hear that it would void my warranty. Do you know anyone that has one and if they like it?
Seriously? It's from Ford Racing bro. Dealers install it. It's most definitely covered.

And yes it's a nice tune. Good added power across the band.
Old 7/12/14, 07:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Seriously? It's from Ford Racing bro. Dealers install it. It's most definitely covered.

And yes it's a nice tune. Good added power across the band.
It reduces your warranty to 3 years or 36000. Ford racing is a separate entity from Ford. Ford racing has its own 3/36000. It replace your factory warranty. I know some will say that Ford has to prove your tune caused the issue if there is a failure. While this is true, it could take some time and trouble to fight this.

As to my source, I had planned on buying this tune myself. I called both Ford and Ford racing. This was the information they provided me after many calls and discussions.
Old 7/12/14, 07:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V

It reduces your warranty to 3 years or 36000. Ford racing is a separate entity from Ford. Ford racing has its own 3/36000. It replace your factory warranty. I know some will say that Ford has to prove your tune caused the issue if there is a failure. While this is true, it could take some time and trouble to fight this.

As to my source, I had planned on buying this tune myself. I called both Ford and Ford racing. This was the information they provided me after many calls and discussions.
Thank you for the info and your advice. I currently have 40,000 miles on mine so I am past that. I hear good things about the Bama tune
Old 7/12/14, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

It reduces your warranty to 3 years or 36000. Ford racing is a separate entity from Ford. Ford racing has its own 3/36000. It replace your factory warranty. I know some will say that Ford has to prove your tune caused the issue if there is a failure. While this is true, it could take some time and trouble to fight this. As to my source, I had planned on buying this tune myself. I called both Ford and Ford racing. This was the information they provided me after many calls and discussions.
That is completely untrue. I spoke directly with Mike at FR and he said the whole separate entity thing and replacing the factory warranty thing is a MYTH.

It's the same co and the same warranty. The original doesn't go away to be replaced by a FR one. Not to mention that FR only needs to be involved regarding things related to the tune. If a shock goes out, you don't talk to FR.

FR told me that regardless of the issue, your dealer will cover it no problem. And this is proven with the recent cat issues arguably from the FRPP track cal. Dealers are covering it no questions asked. There is no fighting or back and forth needed. Ford dealers look at the car issue as if the tune was never there.

Finally your warranty is not shortened at all.
Old 7/12/14, 08:35 PM
Cobra Member

Thank you for the info and your advice. I currently have 40,000 miles on mine so I am past that. I hear good things about the Bama tune
Bama has I'm sure dozens if not hundreds of successful tunes out there. But they also have a lot of failures and/or tunes that need extensive reworking via datalogs sent back and forth several times.

I'd go with a much more reputable tuner if you go that route. VMP, Lund, etc.

Bama is kinda like the Walmart of tuners.
Old 7/12/14, 08:36 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011GT let us know if we can help you out. We've been doing custom tunes now as we no longer provide VMP tunes. We have a few hundred under out belt within the last 4 months with zero issues and making great power. Our full time tuner has over 20 years of tuning experience, any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask!
Old 7/12/14, 08:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
2011GT let us know if we can help you out. We've been doing custom tunes now as we no longer provide VMP tunes. We have a few hundred under out belt within the last 4 months with zero issues and making great power. Our full time tuner has over 20 years of tuning experience, any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask!
Jay when did this happen? Did VMP go somewhere else?
Old 7/13/14, 01:29 AM
Cobra R Member

That is completely untrue. I spoke directly with Mike at FR and he said the whole separate entity thing and replacing the factory warranty thing is a MYTH.

It's the same co and the same warranty. The original doesn't go away to be replaced by a FR one. Not to mention that FR only needs to be involved regarding things related to the tune. If a shock goes out, you don't talk to FR.

FR told me that regardless of the issue, your dealer will cover it no problem. And this is proven with the recent cat issues arguably from the FRPP track cal. Dealers are covering it no questions asked. There is no fighting or back and forth needed. Ford dealers look at the car issue as if the tune was never there.

Finally your warranty is not shortened at all.
I am not trying to get in an argument here but I am concerned that people may read your post and believe that their warranty is not at risk. I think the best advice for anyone looking at a tune and is concerned about warranty, is to speak to your dealer and ask them for something in writing that says they will honor the powertrain warranty with a tune. No dealer i spoke to would. Call ford racing yourself. I called several times and no one would guarantee me anything in writing. Quite the opposite. They explained to me that they are actually separate legal entities.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/annou...ent_2014v3.pdf

here is a link to the warranty description. It does say that if the failure is not caused by the tune, the manufacturers warranty stays intact.
There is a tsb about modification to the tune. It does not say that ford racing tunes are exempt.

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb11-07-07.pdf

If you have written proof to share, please do. I would love to buy this tune. It is true that with any failure ford has to prove the failure was caused by the part. I have read many horror stories about these battles. My advice is not intended to blast you, it is a cautionary note. I do months of research before all my mods. Warranty is a big issue of mine. I would feel horrible if someone made a purchase based on a recommendation of mine and it hurt them financially.
Old 7/13/14, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Well said Mr V, dealers are like people no two are alike, its the dealer that is the contact for your car and they can refuse to help you , if they choose to do so.
Old 7/13/14, 09:59 AM
Cobra Member

I am not trying to get in an argument here but I am concerned that people may read your post and believe that their warranty is not at risk. I think the best advice for anyone looking at a tune and is concerned about warranty, is to speak to your dealer and ask them for something in writing that says they will honor the powertrain warranty with a tune. No dealer i spoke to would. Call ford racing yourself. I called several times and no one would guarantee me anything in writing. Quite the opposite. They explained to me that they are actually separate legal entities. http://www.fordracingparts.com/annou...ent_2014v3.pdf here is a link to the warranty description. It does say that if the failure is not caused by the tune, the manufacturers warranty stays intact. There is a tsb about modification to the tune. It does not say that ford racing tunes are exempt. http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb11-07-07.pdf If you have written proof to share, please do. I would love to buy this tune. It is true that with any failure ford has to prove the failure was caused by the part. I have read many horror stories about these battles. My advice is not intended to blast you, it is a cautionary note. I do months of research before all my mods. Warranty is a big issue of mine. I would feel horrible if someone made a purchase based on a recommendation of mine and it hurt them financially.
Funny. I have the same concern about people reading your bad information. So you asked your dealer about a "tune". Of course they will give the response they did. But a FRPP tune is a different animal. You can believe what you want based on your "research". But don't tell people things that are incorrect.

Saying the are completely separate is like saying toys r us and babies r us are separate. They are physically and legally. However they are one company and I can return a tru item at bru.

I don't doubt you called all of these places a bunch. But that means nothing about how valid the info you got is. The documents you posted have nothing to do with a FRPP specific tune causing issues. If a dealer won't honor a FRPP tune than pick another dealer.

Again MIKE @ FRPP (who is active on this forum) said to my question of "what about all the stuff on the forums about being separate entities and having a new warranty through FRPP." "That's a MYTH. We are the same and the dealer will treat it just like any normal factory warranty issue."

If you have specific names from FRPP that told you one thing or another that can actually post here and back it up....let me know.
Old 7/13/14, 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mustang259
Well said Mr V, dealers are like people no two are alike, its the dealer that is the contact for your car and they can refuse to help you , if they choose to do so.
Not true. Yes some dealers try to pull crap on customers and get away with stuff while others are legit. But no dealer can LEGALLY refuse to fix a warranty issue unless item isn't covered. This would never be the case due to a FRPP tune.
Old 7/13/14, 11:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Funny. I have the same concern about people reading your bad information. So you asked your dealer about a "tune". Of course they will give the response they did. But a FRPP tune is a different animal. You can believe what you want based on your "research". But don't tell people things that are incorrect.

Saying the are completely separate is like saying toys r us and babies r us are separate. They are physically and legally. However they are one company and I can return a tru item at bru.

I don't doubt you called all of these places a bunch. But that means nothing about how valid the info you got is. The documents you posted have nothing to do with a FRPP specific tune causing issues. If a dealer won't honor a FRPP tune than pick another dealer.

Again MIKE @ FRPP (who is active on this forum) said to my question of "what about all the stuff on the forums about being separate entities and having a new warranty through FRPP." "That's a MYTH. We are the same and the dealer will treat it just like any normal factory warranty issue."

If you have specific names from FRPP that told you one thing or another that can actually post here and back it up....let me know.
You quote one name and don't add any actual information. I've listed 2 actual documents from Ford racing And Ford. I'm not trying to get in a passing contest with you. Your worship of Mike from Ford racing is sweet. Have him produce something that guarantees coverage and we will all be happy. I would love to get this tune.

For those reading this, Ask your dealer. Yes, I asked my dealer and 5 others in the area about the Ford racing tune. I even asked a Ford racing dealer. When I began researching I didn't know that specific Ford dealers specialized in installing Ford racing parts. Even those dealers stated the exact same things I am posting here.

I am not trying to pick a fight. You seem to take this discussion personally. What i am posting is verified in several other threads on this site as well as speaking to several dealers and Ford racing itself. As with many things, buyer beware. I won't continue this argument because you simply restate your facts without addressing the information I have posted. I hope that anyone reading this does speak to their dealers before modding their car. If you look up my thread mod friendly dealers in California, you'll see some of the variety of answers different Ford dealers will give you when you mod your car.

Good luck. I hope all works out for you.
Old 7/13/14, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

You quote one name and don't add any actual information.
And you quote none. I wonder if you actually read and understand what you are typing. Where as the quote I provided is the only information needed. You posted irrelevant articles. I've taken nothing personal. But you bringing that up makes me think that you are.

No one will give you anything in writing because there are tons of variables involved with warranties. If that's what you need to feel safe then you're in the wrong hobby. But if your motor blows and your only mod is the FRPP tune. It will be covered with zero hassle.

I guess if the only dealers around you are crooks, that sucks. But the OP asked about the safest tune. My answer remains the best option IMO. And my statement about your warranty not being at risk remains fact.

Please stop providing incorrect information.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/13/14 at 12:31 PM.
Old 7/13/14, 06:09 PM
GT Member

Wow what a discussion. I like the numbers from bama and since I have credit I think I will pull the trigger. I will have the set tune to be safe as possible and hope for the best. They do have a warranty but like anything else getting it fixed can be a nightmare. Thank you for your opinions and any other history that might help my decision process.
Old 7/13/14, 07:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
I am interested in a tune. What is your web site? How safe are tunes on the coyote?
Old 7/13/14, 08:46 PM

I would data log that Bama tune as soon as you get it, that stuff is hit or miss. Personally believe Steeda makes great safe tunes. Also been hearing great things from the hypermotive tunes. I bought one last week but have yet to try it. I will report back though.
Old 7/14/14, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jay when did this happen? Did VMP go somewhere else?
I am interested in a tune. What is your web site? How safe are tunes on the coyote?

About 4 months ago, just wanted to go with our own tuner, it gets tiring when having to depend on an outside tuning company.

2011gt, our website is www.hypermotive.com, we have a tuning tab on the top. We've been making a lot of waves lately on our tunes.

Heres a link just for some reviews

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...tune-club.html
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...eam-hyper.html

A lot of customers switching over to us with great success

Quick Reply: Safest tune for coyote?