Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Replacing my Roush CAI

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/13, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing my Roush CAI

Looking to replace my Roush CAI with a bigger, tune-required CAI. I am also looking at tunes.

I have a 2014 GT.

Here is what I am trying to decide between:

JLT Intake / BAMA Tune
Steeda Intake / Steeda Tune
Steeda Intake / BAMA Tune

Any advise or tips/experience would be greatly appreciated!

The pricing is pretty competitive across the board. (either from American Muscle or Steeda directly, whichever one gives me the best deal over the phone ).

Does Steeda offer free tune tweaks for life like BAMA? As I upgrade my Mustang will I need to drop $65 each time I add something?

Thanks.
Old 11/26/13, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to provide more information on your car whether it be a manual or auto etc etc. Also the stock CAI is the best. The tune would make the biggest difference. AED, VMP, LUND, or Steeda would all be good. No one else. And all the big name tuners give free revisions, not just Bama/American Muscle.

Last edited by GrabberBlue5.0; 11/26/13 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11/26/13, 02:18 PM

Automatic
Old 11/26/13, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
You need to provide more information on your car whether it be a manual or auto etc etc. Also the stock CAI is the best. The tune would make the biggest difference. AED, VMP, LUND, or Steeda would all be good. No one else. And all the big name tuners give free revisions, not just Bama/American Muscle.
What do you mean by 'best'?

According to specs, etc. the Steeda shows some pretty serious gains (likewise with the JLT CAI).

Thanks for the input!
Old 11/26/13, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Absolutely VMP. Justin has the autos dialed in perfectly. His wife has one with a Roush blower in the 9's. Look at their videos on youtube.
Old 11/26/13, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tormz
What do you mean by 'best'?

According to specs, etc. the Steeda shows some pretty serious gains (likewise with the JLT CAI).

Thanks for the input!
Because they're all about making money without real world testing. Any CAI can be fudged on a dyno with the hood open and a giant fan blowing on it. The factory one is a true CAI with a sealed box.
Old 11/26/13, 02:39 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,225 Posts
Because they're all about making money without real world testing. Any CAI can be fudged on a dyno with the hood open and a giant fan blowing on it. The factory one is a true CAI with a sealed box.
^^THIS!
All those cai's come with a tune, so it's mostly the tune giving you the power increase. The cai is great for looks and giving you the "whine" on a blower. but all results lead to the stock box being the best.
If you're still thinking about the cai,......I'd do a JLT with either a VMP, JDM, AED, or LUND tune.
Old 11/26/13, 04:30 PM
GT Member

I have the steeda CAI and I really like it, you will want to block off/remove the sound tube because it gets pretty loud in the car with it installed. It makes a wonderful noise all on its own every time you step on the gas, and it's the only one that utilizes the factory cold air duct in the grill, plus it has that nice velocity stack built in. I have their tune also which I'm pretty happy with, had to have a minor tweet to the throttle cal is all. Gus is very helpful too.

Lee
Old 11/26/13, 05:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Yes ... we have a tunes for life program. We will upgrade your tunes for free regardless of what part you purchase.

Email me if I can help you out with any additional info. You can reach me at tim@steeda.com ... who knows ... there may be a black Friday deal on one of the items listed .

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 11/26/13, 05:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have the steeda CAI and I really like it, you will want to block off/remove the sound tube because it gets pretty loud in the car with it installed. It makes a wonderful noise all on its own every time you step on the gas, and it's the only one that utilizes the factory cold air duct in the grill, plus it has that nice velocity stack built in. I have their tune also which I'm pretty happy with, had to have a minor tweet to the throttle cal is all. Gus is very helpful too.

Lee
Lee did a great job in describing it ... you can also read more here:

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2012/03/m...-intake-truth/

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 11/27/13, 09:02 AM
Former Vendor

Looking to replace my Roush CAI with a bigger, tune-required CAI. I am also looking at tunes.

I have a 2014 GT.

Here is what I am trying to decide between:

JLT Intake / BAMA Tune
Steeda Intake / Steeda Tune
Steeda Intake / BAMA Tune

Any advise or tips/experience would be greatly appreciated!

The pricing is pretty competitive across the board. (either from American Muscle or Steeda directly, whichever one gives me the best deal over the phone ).

Does Steeda offer free tune tweaks for life like BAMA? As I upgrade my Mustang will I need to drop $65 each time I add something?

Thanks.
You really can't go wrong with any of these options. JLT, Steeda, AIRAID etc.. all make a great cold air intake and they'll show within a couple HP of each other.

I currently run the JLT Carbon Fiber Intake and a Bama 93 Hybrid tune on my 2011 GT and absolutely love it. I picked up 30+ RWHP and 25+ RWTQ from these two modifications! For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys. We're also part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect!

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Also, keep in mind with our competitive pricing and 6% forums exclusive discount we're usually one of the cheapest out there. If we're still not the lowest price out there, we do offer price matching!

-Dan
Old 11/27/13, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Yes ... we have a tunes for life program. We will upgrade your tunes for free regardless of what part you purchase.

Email me if I can help you out with any additional info. You can reach me at tim@steeda.com ... who knows ... there may be a black Friday deal on one of the items listed .

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks TJ. Can you send me a link to the tunes for life program with Steeda?

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
You really can't go wrong with any of these options. JLT, Steeda, AIRAID etc.. all make a great cold air intake and they'll show within a couple HP of each other.

I currently run the JLT Carbon Fiber Intake and a Bama 93 Hybrid tune on my 2011 GT and absolutely love it. I picked up 30+ RWHP and 25+ RWTQ from these two modifications! For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys. We're also part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect!

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Also, keep in mind with our competitive pricing and 6% forums exclusive discount we're usually one of the cheapest out there. If we're still not the lowest price out there, we do offer price matching!

-Dan
Is there any benefit to the CF JLT over the plastic? I know the weight/appearance part, but someone told me it was slightly larger. Any truth to that?

Thanks!
Old 11/27/13, 09:25 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks TJ. Can you send me a link to the tunes for life program with Steeda?

Is there any benefit to the CF JLT over the plastic? I know the weight/appearance part, but someone told me it was slightly larger. Any truth to that?

Thanks!
The inside diameter is very similar. However, the outside diameter of the CF is a little bit thicker! The main benefits of the Carbon Fiber over Plastic is the Weight, Appearance and the ability to dissipate heat better. Carbon Fiber never even really absorbs heat!

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Old 11/27/13, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
The inside diameter is very similar. However, the outside diameter of the CF is a little bit thicker! The main benefits of the Carbon Fiber over Plastic is the Weight, Appearance and the ability to dissipate heat better. Carbon Fiber never even really absorbs heat!

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Thanks.

Now the million dollar question. Are these going on sale with BF/CM?
Old 11/27/13, 09:50 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CF is a little bigger than the textured plastic. Let us know if we can help you out at all. We offer JLT/ Airaid/ SCT and tunes from VMP at a similar price to some competitors but with a better tune. Justin at VMP knows how to tune an automatic, I have switched many customers from one tuner to VMP and they say the same thing everytime "why didn't I do this to begin with".
Old 11/27/13, 10:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here is the link to our tunes for life program:

http://www.steeda.com/store/sct-x3-m...unes-388-3000/

We have 0 warranty issues when our tune has been installed on a consumers car ... you are in great hands with Steeda.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 11/27/13, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Here is the link to our tunes for life program:

http://www.steeda.com/store/sct-x3-m...unes-388-3000/

We have 0 warranty issues when our tune has been installed on a consumers car ... you are in great hands with Steeda.

Best Regards,

TJ
thanks!
Old 11/27/13, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

[QUOTE=Stage_3;6719721]^^THIS!
but all results lead to the stock box being the best.

Show us a single dyno test that shows a tune alone gives the same power increase as a tune plus a CAI.
Old 11/27/13, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

The stock box does a better job of isolating the air charge from engine heat when the car is stationary, but once it's moving there is virtually no difference as evidenced IAT readout. Where the stock box falls down is air flow. Ford put a system that flows 50 cfm less than the 4.6 intake on an engine that makes 120 more hp. The restriction is easy to measure with a manometer.
Old 11/27/13, 04:29 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by 65sohc
Show us a single dyno test that shows a tune alone gives the same power increase as a tune plus a CAI.
Is this question for me?
If it is,....I never said/wrote that. (Reread my post again,......SLOWLY.)
You are getting some gains from an aftermarket cai, but the tune along with the aftermarket cai is what is giving you the most bang for your buck. Mostly coming from the tune, and a little from the cai is what I wrote.

Quick Reply: Replacing my Roush CAI