Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

The real cost of a 2015+ Coyote swap?

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/17, 05:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The real cost of a 2015+ Coyote swap?

All along, a fresh Coyote crate motor, has been a fairly reasonable proposition with the stock motors obtainable from Ford for under $7000

Certainly, this isn't pocket change but considering the capabilities and complexities of these engines, that really feels like a steal.

Thank you, Ford. Thank you, mass production.

As all of us 2011-2014 people know, the second generation of the Coyote saw major improvements with revised heads, intake, rotating assembly that expand on the 5.0L's wonderful traits and add a bunch of strength that provides amazing possibilities for boost.

The "problem" for us S197 folks is that the '11-'14 ECU can't run the new motor so the cost of the swap went from "expensive but reasonable" to "more expensive, more complicated."

Has anyone attempted this swap yet? How much did the ECU cost? How much of a pain in the posterior was the wiring harness? Was it worth it?

This question may become even more pressing and more interesting once the 2018 version becomes available with 12:1, DI, and +500 RPM on tap (give or take).

Thoughts/opinions are welcome.

Last edited by MRGTX; 4/21/17 at 05:26 AM.
Old 4/21/17, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Disclosure... I'm an armchair gear head, I've never attempted something like this myself.

In my opinion, the notion of swapping a coyote for a coyote seems crazy.

But that being said, I thought FP has come out with a Gen 2 coyote compatible with Gen 1 cars.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6006-M50A1
The following users liked this post:
MRGTX (4/30/17)
Old 4/21/17, 11:28 AM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I think the people most interested in doing this will be those who have a really clean, but high mileage S197 GT. Someone who is really satisfied with their 197, but knows that the engine is starting to show the effects of time and high mileage. Certainly the Gen 2 engine has greater potential, but in showroom stock form it's only 15 horsepower and 10 ft.lbs. of torque greater than the Gen 1-B [ '13-'14 ] engine and hardly worth the time, money and effort if your current Gen 1 is running well. In fact if you have a '14 manual trans car you can get a track key that will bring it's power level up to very near that of a Gen 2 engine. If you have a good running and mechanically sound Gen 1 197 and you think you need a major power increase, any one of the aftermarket supercharger/turbo options will produce about as much power to the wheels as you can realistically use with anything like a true street tire and do it for less cost than a Gen 2 engine swap. Using an '18 or newer engine with direct & port injection is bound to be more complicated and expensive due to the need for a much higher pressure fuel system [ not just the pump ]. A less expensive swap for those wanting to replace a high mileage Gen 1 would be a low mileage Gen 2 from a salvage yard. LKQ offers a 6 month warranty so that takes at least some of the risk out of getting a used engine. In order to use the Gen 2 you will have to reuse either your Gen 1 cams or get a set of Gen 1 aftermarket cams which will probably require limiters. I am not sure if you have to reuse the Gen 1 phasers or not, but you probably do. You can use either intake, but there isn't any power advantage to the Gen 2 and the 197 PCM won't operate the charge motion valves in the Gen 2. The Gen 1 will fit, but requires a little grinding for clearance.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/23/24 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo correction
The following users liked this post:
MRGTX (4/30/17)