Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

quick question about gears

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/11, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick question about gears

im getting back into mustangs after being out for ten years. last stang was a paxton charged 98 gt vert.

im going to prob get a vert(in process of finding dealship to order near invoice) and as you know they only come with 3.31s which simply wont do for me.

i will do with frpp 3.73s. my question is about speedo calibration. long gone are the days of changing a gear. lol. i know there are tuners but that is a problem to cause i dont want to run into warranty issues.

can they just do a reflash on the car to correct for gear change? i want to have the gears installed before i take delivery if i can.

thanks guys.
Old 7/4/11, 03:15 PM
Cobra Member

If you had a paxton, you shouldn't have a problem getting a reputable tune. It turns the 5.0 into a beast and the reputable companies do them safely (Steeda, Bama, Lund etc). Then you can adjust gears, tire size or whatever you wish.
Attached Thumbnails quick question about gears-img_20110530_135912-1.jpg  
Old 7/4/11, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
If you had a paxton, you shouldn't have a problem getting a reputable tune. It turns the 5.0 into a beast and the reputable companies do them safely (Steeda, Bama, Lund etc). Then you can adjust gears, tire size or whatever you wish.
true but with the rumors about tune and warranties. i dont know if i want to take the chance. can they tell when you put it back to stock tune?
Old 7/4/11, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trick25
true but with the rumors about tune and warranties. i dont know if i want to take the chance. can they tell when you put it back to stock tune?
Yes, they can tell.

The dealership can adjust up to 3.73 without having to use an aftermarket tune. Not sure if they can go higher.
Old 7/4/11, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks 3.73 is all i want anyway. wish it was an option with verts. not sure why its not

Last edited by trick25; 7/4/11 at 04:20 PM.
Old 7/7/11, 01:01 AM

thanks 3.73 is all i want anyway. wish it was an option with verts. not sure why its not
Putting in 3.73's will technically void your warranty too regardless if you have the dealer adjust your speedo and don't do a tune.
Old 7/7/11, 08:13 AM
V6 Member

Why would that void your warranty, they can come that way from the factory as an option? And since your getting it installed by a dealer ( ie trained technician) it should be fine. And also why would you need a retune? I can see maybe a speedo recal, or is that what a tune would do? Otherwise I wouldn't see a point in tuning for gear swaps. Either way you need to go check around with a few different dealers and see what they say.

Last edited by klisetron; 7/7/11 at 08:15 AM.
Old 7/7/11, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by klisetron
Why would that void your warranty, they can come that way from the factory as an option? And since your getting it installed by a dealer ( ie trained technician) it should be fine. And also why would you need a retune? I can see maybe a speedo recal, or is that what a tune would do? Otherwise I wouldn't see a point in tuning for gear swaps. Either way you need to go check around with a few different dealers and see what they say.
I'm just going off phone calls to several different socal ford dealers, even if they do the gear change the warranty can still be voided. Believe me I'm on your page personally too... But ford is being very **** these days.
Old 7/7/11, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

If you're worried about voiding warranties over a quality tune, don't get a mustang . This isnt the car for you; these cars are meant for individualality and modification.

Get something like a maxima. Fast, fancy, but made for it's imminities. And you wont do anything to void a warranty.

I went to my dealer last week to get my rattling blower motor replaced. I told them my car was tuned and to not plug it up or they would have a locked down mustang in their garage. I also put tape with a note over the port to remind the tech. I had no problems. If I go in with a busted #8 piston, ill suck it up eventhough this tune would not have caused it. These tunes are safe and I get better mileage too. I will say the good tuners do a better job than Ford by far.

Last edited by 2012GT; 7/7/11 at 09:46 AM.
Old 7/7/11, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
If you're worried about voiding warranties over a quality tune, don't get a mustang . This isnt the car for you; these cars are meant for individualality and modification.

Get something like a maxima. Fast, fancy, but made for it's imminities. And you wont do anything to void a warranty.

I went to my dealer last week to get my rattling blower motor replaced. I told them my car was tuned and to not plug it up or they would have a locked down mustang in their garage. I also put tape with a note over the port to remind the tech. I had no problems. If I go in with a busted #8 piston, ill suck it up eventhough this tune would not have caused it. These tunes are safe and I get better mileage too. I will say the good tuners do a better job than Ford by far.

With all due respect. i woudlnt tell you what car to get and you have no business telling me what car to get.

ill get what i want. mod it or not mod it how i want. ive had mustangs before that were modded beyond common sense and this car will be a car that i can have drop top down fun with and i dont want to worry about simple mods causing me grief to get problems fixed. plus i paid for the warranty and see no problem using it.

i want exhaust, gears, and shifter mayby if its junk. Thats it.

Last edited by trick25; 7/7/11 at 10:08 AM.
Old 7/7/11, 10:21 AM

With all due respect. i woudlnt tell you what car to get and you have no business telling me what car to get.

ill get what i want. mod it or not mod it how i want. ive had mustangs before that were modded beyond common sense and this car will be a car that i can have drop top down fun with and i dont want to worry about simple mods causing me grief to get problems fixed. plus i paid for the warranty and see no problem using it.

i want exhaust, gears, and shifter mayby if its junk. Thats it.
Hey hey calm down, I think he was being nicer than you think.
Old 7/7/11, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by futonpimp
Hey hey calm down, I think he was being nicer than you think.
im sure he was. thats why i said with all due respect. im sure he didnt mean to come off like it seemed