Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Question on loading a V2 Race tune

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/15, 05:57 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on loading a V2 Race tune

Should I load the Race tune and hit the track or run it on the street for awhile first?? They say car needs to recognize the new tunes and learn your driving habits. I am only going to use the race tune for the track so ?????
Old 4/29/15, 05:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Not sure about the question of "need" here but some tunes do subtly change the way the car feels and personally, there's no way I'd waste money on a track day only to spend some of that time adjusting to a new throttle curve or getting used to a new feel in general.

Aside from the risk of doing something "illegal" while running the car through the gears (and getting a fat ticket) I don't see a downside to driving it around for a while and getting yourself used to it.

That said, what class are you running in where you want this thing to be tuned hard? I'd suspect that you're giving up a margin of safety for little or no measurable improvement in lap times, etc...and assuming the "93 Race Tune" is running more timing and taking advantage of the extra octane, you're likely going to be running a bit hotter and nearer to knock range, especially if your fuel isn't perfect.

You didn't ask for this advice, but IMO, it's ok to leave a little bit on the table...and perhaps tune for 91 octane and leave a margin of safety with 93 octane fuel. It always feels good knowing that you could get a few more HP out of a tune...and you're likely not pushing your luck quite as much. Just food for thought.
Old 4/29/15, 10:19 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bodon
Should I load the Race tune and hit the track or run it on the street for awhile first?? They say car needs to recognize the new tunes and learn your driving habits. I am only going to use the race tune for the track so ?????
Hey Bodon,

I shot you a reply in your other thread but wanted to make sure you get an answer here also!

You can definitely load the tune and go, no problem at all!

I switch to my track tune before leaving my house the morning of a track day and I go have fun, that's all you need!

My only recommendation to make sure you get the tune data-logged to get the most performance you can out of it!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

-Will
Old 5/7/15, 08:51 AM
GT Member

I swap tunes on the fly at the track from run to run, sometimes in the staging lane seconds before a run..... No "learn" period necessary.
Old 5/7/15, 06:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MKMotorsport
I swap tunes on the fly at the track from run to run, sometimes in the staging lane seconds before a run..... No "learn" period necessary.
Just curious,why do you switch tunes? Is'nt the "Race tune" the best?