5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Purchased an Aluminator (NA) motor. Questions regarding sounds and codes

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/13, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchased an Aluminator (NA) motor. Questions regarding sounds and codes

Original Thread Location (Click Me)

Long Story Warning:

I bought my 2011 Mustang GT back in 2011. A few months after I started modding it, putting on a Boss 302 intake manifold, JLT Cold Air Intake, BBK Shorty Headers, and a BBK X Pipe as well.

I was using a BAMA 93 performance tune from American muscle and I threw a code for a cylinder 8 misfire. I took the car to ford, they voided my warranty and they re-installed cylinder 8, and told me the car was rebuilt according to "Ford specifications".

Two months later, I spun a bearing immediately after an oil change, the engine seized and I realized that I needed to rebuild it, because Ford refused to touch the car even though they did do work prior to the seizing of the car.

I finally got the car rebuilt (a year after the fact), and bought a Ford Racing N/A Aluminator Crate Engine. It's day 5 of having the car, and I've already got some major issues that I'm concerned about.

1) P0300, P0302, P0308 codes. I called Ford Racing and they told me that if I simply re-learn the Crank Positioning Sensor, everything will be resolved. I've an appointment on Monday with Scarsdale Ford to fix this issue and we'll see how that works out. I'm really hoping, but given my history with Ford, their delaerships and their worksmanship, I highly doubt that will solve anything. But I am certainly hoping! *crosses fingers*

2) A knocking / rattling / ticking sound in the engine. The motor is sounding very strange. A few friends of mine are saying: "Oh, don't worry about that, it's normal, forged internals are gonna rattle and make noise, that's what they do", etc. But this just doesn't sound normal to me and I'm worried dearly. Attached to this post is footage of the car today 10/4/2013, and what the rattle / knock / ticking sound sounds like.

Please, help if you can.

Information about the car:

Total Miles On Car 39007 Miles.
Miles on engine: 450-ish miles on it.

Videos:

Video 1: Aluminator Start - Idle Engine Sounds
Video 2:
Aluminator Start - Engine Sounds After Warmup and Subsequent Revs

Thanks!
-Lenworth
Old 10/5/13, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
best of luck man
Old 10/6/13, 04:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you still running the Bama tune thruout this whole ordeal?
Old 10/6/13, 05:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That doesn't sound good, hopefully it all works out.
Old 10/6/13, 06:26 AM
GT Member

I have an aluminator as well and mine doesn't sound like that. That sounds like ****. They do have a 2yr/24,000 warranty I believe. Mine did anyway. My first step since ford is no longer footing the bill would be to find a very reputable shop that's worked on/tuned these cars and have them look it over. Also have them dyno tune the car with either this engine or the replacement. No more canned tunes at this point.
Old 10/6/13, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
best of luck man
Thanks, man. I'll need it.

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Are you still running the Bama tune thruout this whole ordeal?
After the car took a sh- last year, I have not tuned the car at all. Not until I know that stock it will work fine.

Originally Posted by t-fatty
That doesn't sound good, hopefully it all works out.
Yeah, thanks, man.

Originally Posted by black5.0
I have an aluminator as well and mine doesn't sound like that. That sounds like ****. They do have a 2yr/24,000 warranty I believe. Mine did anyway. My first step since ford is no longer footing the bill would be to find a very reputable shop that's worked on/tuned these cars and have them look it over. Also have them dyno tune the car with either this engine or the replacement. No more canned tunes at this point.
I don't know where to take it to. I was thinking Mustang Magic down in Long Island, but heard about JDM Engineering. I'm not that big into the tuning scene, so I'm not too knowledgeable.
Old 10/7/13, 06:57 AM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by sapperdaddy21b
Thanks, man. I'll need it.

After the car took a sh- last year, I have not tuned the car at all. Not until I know that stock it will work fine.

Yeah, thanks, man.

I don't know where to take it to. I was thinking Mustang Magic down in Long Island, but heard about JDM Engineering. I'm not that big into the tuning scene, so I'm not too knowledgeable.
Here's another alternative on Long Island. They dyno tuned my '08 and I was impressed with how much time they spent getting the tune right.
http://tinyurl.com/mxddjky
Old 10/8/13, 08:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Kind of hard to tell since it sounds like the mic is all kinds of awful. The clatter sounds normal, pretty sure it is the injectors, can't tell with the knock. Does the knock end up going away?
Old 10/8/13, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Have you had the Crank re learn done? I wouldn't drive it until then. Your noises may be from that alone. The PCM can't figure out the timing with the Crank positioning sensor reading out of wack.