Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

programmer

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/19, 11:46 AM
V6 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
programmer

I just purchased a completely stock 2014 mustang gt convertible and was wondering if anyone could help me with a possible solution to my question

i used to own a 98 mustang gt and i had a diablosport predator tuner for it and it seemed to bring it to life a little more than stock but i have since sold that car and now have a 2014 mustang gt and cannot decide what programmer to buy, the car does have the throttle hesitation that everyone is complaining about on the coyote engine (it's like a blip when fast accelerating) i have also heard about the lopey idle some people get from their programmer which i would not mind as it would be what a 5.0 should sound like. the car is completely stock right down to the ford mufflers but i have been hearing that you can't really change much without a tune or programmer, i have seem programmers from steeda,diablosport,bama.sct, there are probably more but each 1 does something different and i can't figure out what one to get. as for the car it will remain pretty close to stock except for maybe a CAI and exhaust as i just bought it and want to spend some time with it before major changes,i could just throw a super charger at it and have it tuned but i want to take my time with this one,next upgrade will be a styling bar as the convertible just looks too long without it and top down

the day i picked it up June 6,2019
Old 7/31/19, 12:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Very clean car, congrats. That black piece on the hood looks cool. Styling bar would definitely be a nice addition.

The lopey idle is mostly sound, you might need Boss302 side pipes for maximum benefit. I would stay away from email tunes. Probably best to go with proper dyno tunes at the reputable shop and save headache. Which exhaust system did you get?
Old 7/31/19, 12:55 AM
V6 Member

I haven't done anything to it yet... it's basically been sitting in my driveway since i got it in June,2019 i have a line on pypes after cat x pipe and roush mufflers but like i am saying i have some intentions for the car but i am in no hurry, the runs and drives fine just has a split second hesitation at take off but i hear that's fixable with a tune. AS for the black fins in my hood they are actual working heat extractors i was told for the coyote engine as they tend to run a little warm with the temp on the dash i have only seen the head temp go to 102 degrees and then it cools down to around 97-98 while driving it in town but have just been asked if i am wanting to buy a jlt cold air intake as well, seems people are swapping parts for unknown reasons here so i am waiting to get some clarity for good parts.....
Old 7/31/19, 07:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 783 Likes on 572 Posts
Check Steeda for a tune and programmer. I was very happy with their tunes on my 06 gt
Old 8/1/19, 02:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 1,053 Posts
I'd suggest you separate the tuner device, from the tuner person -- you can buy them separately.

For the tuner device, SCT is the de-facto standard; most tuner people use them and support them. I am not sure what is the latest and greatest version -- X4 maybe?

For the tuner person, meaning the one who writes the programs (tunes) that you load with the device; you have the choice of "remote" meaning someone who provides the tunes from elsewhere, and "local dyno" meaning they put your car on their dyno and then do the tuning. If you have a good dyno shop, who knows these cars, close to you that is probably the best, but can also be the most expensive solution. Remote tuners who use datalogging to check the tune is probably almost as good as a dyno tune.
Old 8/1/19, 10:49 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
Congrats on a very clean looking '14.
Old 8/3/19, 11:42 AM
V6 Member

thanks for the advice i will be checking into this a lot more soon i have a performance shop a few miles away, the place where i got the diablosport for the 98 gt and i'll see what they suggest i know they sell the sct,diablosport,and a few others i just wanted to get a feel as to what other are using and make a sound decision. i just hate throwing close to 500 dollars at the car to use for 3 minutes then it gets put in the closet till another upgrade but will keep you informed, i know that before i purchased it it supposedly passed a dealer inspection and pre-delivery inspection and oil change but if their oil change is anything like the cabin air filter and air filter that they said were like brand new on the inspection form i think i will be doing an oil change sooner than later both filters were plugged air filter was a fram and supposed to be white mine was black and plugged so bad it's a wonder it even started and the cabin air filter was so bad it looked like the air cleaner got them both changed now i guess it's time to check the spark plugs, has anyone changed the fuel filter on these cars i have been told there isn't one to change to seeing an inline filter on fram's website
Old 9/21/19, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I just landed a 14 GT coupe a few weeks ago. The previous owner got her normal oil changes but never changed the air filters which I just took out and replaced. After 40,000 miles, these things were black with dirt/dust. I recently posted about getting a quote of $1200 for a JLT CAI, SCT X4 and a dyno tune. The numbers added up and were correct but I thought that was insane for a CAI upgrade. The dyno is $400 and everything else is parts/labor. The shop then charges you $100 per dyno for future upgrades. I have half of those who responded to my post saying that a can tune is ok while others are saying to get dyno or at least a remote tune. I might just bite the bullet and have my local mustang shop just do it. They can really dial it in nice on the dyno.
Old 9/22/19, 12:44 AM
V6 Member

funny thing is i wanted the coupe as i live in British Columbia ,Canada and we haven't had much fun weather or the weather we had was too HOT especially with Black Leather interior, i did manage to find a shop that would sell me what i am looking for with a dyno tune but did manage to say that changing my exhaust did not warrant a tune which i was told it did but this is what he said
"The cat back exhaust kits do not require a programmer.
The offroad and catted xpipes do require a programmer.

The cost to install the flowmaster axle back is $250.00 the cost to install the xpipe as well is $120.00. The cost of the programmer is $545.09 & custom dyno tuning is $645.00. It is also recommended to install an air intake as well at the same time to take advantage of a proper tune for these components."

So i guess 100 for Dyno tuning is about the going rate keep in mind these are just the install prices and not the parts but i have another guy for that.

winter is coming fast here and the rains have started so i need to get my garage cleaned out to park the car in there.. and the place i live frowns on auto repairs so mechanics really do get to know me here, the front end of my mini-van in the picture is going in to have the front end replaced and i was quoted 14-1700 to do the work

a can tune is ok but an actual dyno tune will maximize the performance out of the car. i have only put 265 miles on the car since i bought it in june 2019 as i blew out my right knee and have a hard time driving i t but the thought of selling it has crossed my mind as i have not dedicated and time or effort into the car as of yet except for an oil change From Ford Crap oil to Amsoil 5w20 as i won't be driving it much i wanted a nicer oil then Ford Bulk oil

Old 9/22/19, 07:27 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Prices seem a bit high for installation. An axle back shouldn't take more than an hour on jacks and stands, less with a lift. Cat back exhausts do not require any tuning. Tuning is required if you remove the cats or relocate them (think long tube headers and/or offload mid pipes). CAI may or may not require tuning. The ones that do not require tuning do not really give any real gains. The canned tunes are actually really good if you are just installing a CAI and cat back exhaust. They are also very reasonable, especially when you buy the tuner and tunes together. I purchased an SCT tuner bundled with tunes and a tune required CAI from Steeda a few years ago. The difference it made was noticeable and I have not had any issues in 4+ years of running it. If I was installing long-tube headers and removing or relocating the cats then I would consider a dyno tune.

Too bad about your knee. Hopefully it heals and you can get back to enjoying your mustang.