Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Power Source Issues and PCM Re-Programming

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/12, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Source Issues and PCM Re-Programming

I am not sure if this has addressed in past conversations, but I have read a few post on other forums which speak to the issue of failed uploads during PCM flashing.

I work for the leader in electronic engine management technology for automobiles (BMW) and we through the years have learned quite a bit in complete car programming and encoding of control modules.

The early cars (1979 6Series >> 2005) used a simple DME unit that managed engine functions- ABS braking input and transmission EGS I/O's - which could be flashed to accept vehicle specific data up to 8 times before it was "bricked" Programming the DME did not require anything other than a sufficiently charged battery and the process took around 10 to 15 minutes max. Easy-peasy

In 2002 BMW designed a fully networked car running hi-speed communications on a CAN network. As usual, things have to be fixed, but the network architecture necessitated something new, a problem that guys that work with Unix and Linux are aware of, resolving dependencies -- as one module was updated it had to be compatible (its ability to talk to other units) with all the other installed modules.

I am not sure of how sophisticated the P-CAN is on the current models -- so to say they are having the problem(s) associated with BMW is kind of a stretch. But there is one constant. Conditioned power supply usage during programming and encoding.

It is often overlooked; but during your programming session there are multiple control units drawing power -- just because the PCM is being accessed doesn't mean that other control units and system devices are taken out of the loop. These are called consumers -- any component that represents a draw on the system during normal operation.

This is where the fun begins -- say that during your programming session (the engine is not running) the ancillary control modules go to "sleep" lessening the draw on the system overall. What "if" one or more of those consumers "wake" up and draw more than the minimum required voltage for flashing the PCM? wow! We get an interrupted flash and kapow! -- its recovery time. As long as the boot sector has been written the recovery should be possible.

Due to the number of GW (gateway) modules that locked up during programming, BMW mandated that all programming would be performed with a conditioned power supply attached. Most manufacturers require the same. I would recommend investing in a trickle charger and sufficiently charging the battery before flashing your PCM. Its not that the PCM requires so much power, it doesn't ... its all those other consumers on attached to the P-CAN that could be slightly troublesome.

just my $.02
Old 8/4/12, 08:10 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I certainly understand that you're not supposed have any power draw during tuning. And as such, any time I've ever changed tunes in my cars over the years I've always turned off every single accessory and I don't do anything to ask the car for power during the tuning (i.e. open a door which turns on the dome light, climate control, etc.). My SCT tuner still failed last week during tuning.
Old 8/4/12, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I certainly understand that you're not supposed have any power draw during tuning. And as such, any time I've ever changed tunes in my cars over the years I've always turned off every single accessory and I don't do anything to ask the car for power during the tuning (i.e. open a door which turns on the dome light, climate control, etc.). My SCT tuner still failed last week during tuning.
I've been looking at that whole situation play out and it seems more of a logic issue in the transfer protocol. I don't think its a low power or module "wake up" thing going on.

Normally when the write process starts (flash begins) a checksum is read to verify the data file, and when the write process completes (flash finishes) the checksum is updated and re-read back to the unit indicating the new file information.

lot of guys are getting to the point of flashing (start) but failing on the completion of the operation. To top it off it seem the tuner protocol doesn't have an automatic fall-back process that can retain the stock tune in memory buffer space and do an auto re-install if the write process fails.

only reason i say this is because a few guys have had to allow remote access to their computer and the techs are rebuilding the files in certain cases.

but again im only guessing
hopefully it will get sorted out soon
Old 8/5/12, 02:24 PM
V6 Member

Why is SCT not taking responsibility for this? Their website has not changed-still says to do an emergency update. Dare you to try and contact them-impossible. VERY poor service...ripe for some competition...hope somebody is listening...we Mustang guys (and MANY others) are very willing to unload cash for a quality product with EXCELLENT service. Thus far SCT has failed to deliver...shame.
Old 8/5/12, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011mustanggt
Why is SCT not taking responsibility for this? Their website has not changed-still says to do an emergency update. Dare you to try and contact them-impossible. VERY poor service...ripe for some competition...hope somebody is listening...we Mustang guys (and MANY others) are very willing to unload cash for a quality product with EXCELLENT service. Thus far SCT has failed to deliver...shame.
That's an excellent question --

Seems like they would email their current customer base and inform them that the tuner should not be used until the root cause of the problem in located and a fix (whether the unit has to be sent back for repair or a fix package with complete instructions) are uploaded on the web.

Another problem too could be associated with the boot loader encryption method. Manufacturers continually update the encryption protocols, and this poses a challenge to the guys that have to break the encryption which allows the data to be uploaded into the PCM.

Again, all these are presumptions with no fact... nobody is saying much about anything right now.
Old 8/5/12, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

since im not really familiar with the Window O/S so its hard to say....

but i have written scripts to automate a complete server build and update tool on Linux and FreeBSD -- this minimizes the user interaction, thus reducing mistakes that would (or could) be made by the user not reading the instructions completely -- which happen often with the average customer base (not judging -- just statistically proven)

I know its do-able but will it happen? I think being a little more transparent about the issue would go a long ways with customer confidence.
Old 8/6/12, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 2011mustanggt
I agree. Chronic problems with my new SCT tuner crashing on my '13 GT, in one case leaving me stranded because it failed to reload the stock tune. For me, the only *safe* means of changing tunes is via jumper cables to another car--my battery charger wouldn't cut it. Impossible to get through to SCT via phone and my email to them last week remains unanswered. Worse, there's anecdotal evidence on other Mustang forums that their firmware update wipes the data from the tuner. AM/Bama, despite their stellar service, can only refer you to SCT when the programmer fails. You'll never see SCT weigh-in on any of the Mustang forums.
Old 8/6/12, 08:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by UncleSpud

I agree. Chronic problems with my new SCT tuner crashing on my '13 GT, in one case leaving me stranded because it failed to reload the stock tune. For me, the only *safe* means of changing tunes is via jumper cables to another car--my battery charger wouldn't cut it. Impossible to get through to SCT via phone and my email to them last week remains unanswered. Worse, there's anecdotal evidence on other Mustang forums that their firmware update wipes the data from the tuner. AM/Bama, despite their stellar service, can only refer you to SCT when the programmer fails. You'll never see SCT weigh-in on any of the Mustang forums.
Any lawyers out there that can help to get the ball rolling in order to get their attention?