5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Oil separator?

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/15, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by creedog
What type do you use? Where did you purchase them? Is your car a daily driver, weekend toy, or track use only?
http://www.jpcracing.com/2011-gt-boss-breather-package/

Weekend toy and track use on my car.
Old 2/3/15, 05:17 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a new 2014 GT and before it even arrived I ordered the breather kit for it. Did'nt want ANY oil going in the intake from day one. Been on for a year no issues(and no oil in the intake)!
Old 2/4/15, 12:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you get any oil spray on other parts and how often to you have to clean them?
Old 2/4/15, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Which separator is considered by most to be "the one that catches the most oil?" Or are there a few top selections which do the job very well?
Old 2/4/15, 04:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TommyV
Do you get any oil spray on other parts and how often to you have to clean them?
Been on for a year. NO spray at all. Have'nt cleaned them yet. No issues at all.
Old 2/4/15, 04:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I had about 1000 miles on mine before I installed my Steeda Oil Separator. I looked in the connectors and the hose no oil at all. I installed it and went tot he track and the next day it had a tiny bit of oil. I am not sure why some have allot and some don't. I have a Track pack car I wonder with the thicker oil and oil cooler if that helps.
Old 2/4/15, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Which separator is considered by most to be "the one that catches the most oil?" Or are there a few top selections which do the job very well?
Bob's and Moroso are the ones I see talked about the most. I've seen good reviews of the RX can as well. UPR has a redesigned can out that seems to be much better. They only currently list it for the 15's but you can use it on the S197's. Steeda's been getting attention lately and I have no reason to doubt their product but I didn't see much about it until recently. The only one I would really say to steer clear of is JLT.
Old 2/4/15, 09:48 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like my Bob's Ultimate oil separator. When I was initially researching I wanted to get the JLT separator. It looked nice and I liked that it was literally plug and play. However I found out later that it didn't catch as much oil as it could.

The Bob's unit was deemed to be one of the best for catching oil, so I went for it. Now I see why. The oil vapor comes out of the valve cover and into the bottom of the Bob's can. It then has to flow UP through the stainless steel wool-like filter media where the oil droplets will collect, condense, and eventually pool in the bottom of the can. The crankcase gasses must then exit the can through the top and go toward the intake. So with the Bob's can, you have gravity working on your side. There is a convenient drain valve on the bottom as well as a bonus!

I watched this video prior to purchasing mine:
Old 2/4/15, 10:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The jury is still out on the one that’s the best ...

I run the Moroso. It’s design has two separate chambers, one inlet and one outlet filled with stainless steel mesh to filter the oil vapor. The oil droplets formed drop down into the canister to be collected and drained off later. Here’s a closer look:
Old 2/4/15, 10:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What happened to my pics that I posted in the reply above?

Anyhow here they are:
Attached Thumbnails Oil separator?-m1-copy.jpg   Oil separator?-m2.jpg   Oil separator?-m3.jpg   Oil separator?-m4.jpg   Oil separator?-m5.jpg  

Old 2/4/15, 11:32 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I had about 1000 miles on mine before I installed my Steeda Oil Separator. I looked in the connectors and the hose no oil at all. I installed it and went tot he track and the next day it had a tiny bit of oil. I am not sure why some have allot and some don't. I have a Track pack car I wonder with the thicker oil and oil cooler if that helps.
The only way to do it correctly is to match the oil sep flow (inlet, outlet, screen or filter media) to the flow rate of the crankcase, but very few put any effort into that aspect of it.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/5/15 at 05:46 AM.
Old 2/5/15, 05:42 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I understand what they do but just can get over how silly they look. Sorry
Old 2/5/15, 06:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
http://www.jpcracing.com/2011-gt-boss-breather-package/ Weekend toy and track use on my car.
Thanks for the link, been looking at breather kits and never thought to check JPC (oops!). Looks like a good price and a great option.
Old 2/5/15, 07:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
The only way to do it correctly is to match the oil sep flow (inlet, outlet, screen or filter media) to the flow rate of the crankcase, but very few put any effort into that aspect of it.

If you look up the best way to remove vapor is to cool it. I only looked for a seperator that had the same size openings as the hose in and out.

I am still amazed at how some get a lot of oil and some do not. I am thinking that since the TP has an oil cooler and thinker oil per say that is why I do not get so much oil. Just what I have noticed on these forums. I got one since Ford Racing says it is a good Idea for the Tunes and Super chargers. Track key installed soon.

Last edited by Jazzman442; 2/5/15 at 07:23 AM.
Old 3/1/15, 05:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed the JLT on my car that I got cheap from a friend. I didn't check the fittings to make sure they were tight when I put it on there. That was Thursday night. Ran the autobahn at triple digit speeds cruising for about 30 minutes and parked it. I took a small trip last night and then drove to work this morning, 30 minutes. It was idling a little funny so I checked for a vacume leak and found the in-hose fitting was loose. I disconnected it and turned it. Result, broken fitting on that side. Luckily my wife brough the stock one to me. I opened it up and found a little more than a tsp of oil in it already! I think I'm just going to order the Moroso small one and sell just the canister for cheap and keep the stock connectors for the new can.
Old 3/1/15, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I just ordered some new fittings that aren't cheap and breakable plastic and some hose clamps from Jeg's. You can never have enough hose clamps. We don't have friendly neighborhood auto parts stores here so it's just easier. Now to find some hose.
Old 3/1/15, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I just ordered some new fittings that aren't cheap and breakable plastic and some hose clamps from Jeg's. You can never have enough hose clamps. We don't have friendly neighborhood auto parts stores here so it's just easier. Now to find some hose.
What fittings did you order?
Old 3/1/15, 09:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Some brass 3/8' NPT to 1/2" barb fittings like the ones on the Steeda unit. Cost me $20 for all of it with free shipping from Jeg's. Beats buying a whole new can.
Old 3/1/15, 10:29 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I just installed the JLT on my car that I got cheap from a friend. I didn't check the fittings to make sure they were tight when I put it on there. That was Thursday night. Ran the autobahn at triple digit speeds cruising for about 30 minutes and parked it. I took a small trip last night and then drove to work this morning, 30 minutes. It was idling a little funny so I checked for a vacume leak and found the in-hose fitting was loose. I disconnected it and turned it. Result, broken fitting on that side. Luckily my wife brough the stock one to me. I opened it up and found a little more than a tsp of oil in it already! I think I'm just going to order the Moroso small one and sell just the canister for cheap and keep the stock connectors for the new can.
Hello, how did you check for a vacuum leak. Does the old starting fluid spray trick still work?
Old 3/1/15, 10:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The idle was rough and surging. And you could clearly hear it coming from the catch can connections. It was pretty obvious. After I put the stock one back on it stopped.

Quick Reply: Oil separator?