Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

O/R X Pipe or High Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/11, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O/R X Pipe or High Flow Cats

I am going to install my boss manifold soon and was planning to do an off road x pipe to go along with it. I am now reconsidering that because I do not want a fuel smelling exhaust.

My second thought was an x pipe with high flow cats but I didn't find much info and didn't know if it was really worth it. Or how well they keep the fuel smell away.

Anybody have any insight or better yet dyno proof of the difference? Has anyone installed an x pipe with high flow cats than can comment on the stinkyness (or lack thereof)?
Old 8/29/11, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

The smell with OR pipe is pretty bad but as long as you are moving it's ok.I had Magnaflow highflow cat and xpipe #16399 and it works well with stock headers and 3" exhaust.
the smell was about the same as a offroad pipe and they did flow enough to throw a code.I had to turn off rear o2 sensors to take care of CEL.I made 406rwhp/390rwtq with Steeda CAI and BBR 91 tune.

The sound over stock cats is night and day.I honestly reccomend saving for longtubes and offroad x and run a chambered muffler to keep the noise down.
Old 8/29/11, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by zilla8
The smell with OR pipe is pretty bad but as long as you are moving it's ok.I had Magnaflow highflow cat and xpipe #16399 and it works well with stock headers and 3" exhaust.
the smell was about the same as a offroad pipe and they did flow enough to throw a code.I had to turn off rear o2 sensors to take care of CEL.I made 406rwhp/390rwtq with Steeda CAI and BBR 91 tune.

The sound over stock cats is night and day.I honestly reccomend saving for longtubes and offroad x and run a chambered muffler to keep the noise down.
Thanks for that info! I didn't know the smell was similar through high flow cats, two of my friends have LS3's (camaro and vette) and they both have slp high flow cats and get virtually no smell. But I wanted input from other mustang owners so thanks.

I don't think I will do longtubes, I still might do an O/R x but my GT500 mufflers and my resonators are staying put! NO drone for me.

I think as long as I get an x pipe that bolts in, and leave myself the option to return to stock I will be ok.