5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

newbie needing some help with 2012 GT

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/11, 03:00 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile newbie needing some help with 2012 GT

hi all!

I have a 2012 mustang GT premium on order which should be arriving here in switzerland in mid may. I can't wait! it will be my first american car and also my first V8 powered car in my life!
the car will be a canadian version and I have a few questions which maybe some of you experienced mustang owners have an answer for.

is it true that the canadian version comes standard with the 3.55 rear axle ratio? and are the canadian version and so called eurasia version the same?

furthermore, I would like to get some aftermarket mufflers. here in switzerland the law is very strict and even the stock exhaust systems of mustangs have to be made quieter in order to be street legal. however, I'm not buying a great car like that and then have no exhaust note at all. that is why I would like to get some aftermarket mufflers which provide a throaty note but are not too loud. I am thinking of either the ford racing touring mufflers (M-5230-MGTCA) or GT500 mufflers. what are your opinions on this?

thanks for any help in advance and will post pics as soon as I have my new baby!
Old 4/6/11, 05:59 PM
GT Member

Congrats,and welcome!
Don't have any info on the Canadian version, but I am considering the GT500 mufflers. From what I've heard they're tame until you get on it.
Maybe just what you need.

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 4/6/11, 07:28 PM
V6 Member

The Canadian models do come with the 3.55 rear as standard and it will probably be the premier edition. On delivery get down and look at the rear of the differential. Should be able to see a white sticker with the axle ratio stated on it to be sure.
Not familiar with all the exhausts, but can't see any after-market being quieter than stock. In any case, don't get the Roush if noise is a problem.

Cheers.
Old 4/6/11, 08:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock exhaust really is very quiet on these cars. If cruising at light throttle at 100km/h in sixth gear, the car will be within 10m of you before you can hear it. Its tires are louder than its exhaust. If you get on it, it's a bit louder, but still much quieter than it ought to be!

And yes, the Canadian version does come stock with 3.55 gears. The 3.55s will allow you to reach 100km/h in second gear, which is the reason Ford offered them (as opposed to the 3.73s, which you can only reach 60mph in second in).
Old 4/7/11, 12:06 AM
V6 Member

thanks guys!

I think the 3.55 gears will be perfect for me. it's a good compromise, I think I don't need the 3.73s. and we all know how expensive gas is in europe )

I checked the ford racing performance parts website and from what I see there the so called SVT muffler kit is only 342 dollars which is a good price for getting a nice exhaust note. all the other things I have seen (including the borla-made FRPP touring mufflers) are like 700 upwards.
Old 4/9/11, 05:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by paesce
thanks guys!

I think the 3.55 gears will be perfect for me. it's a good compromise, I think I don't need the 3.73s. and we all know how expensive gas is in europe )

I checked the ford racing performance parts website and from what I see there the so called SVT muffler kit is only 342 dollars which is a good price for getting a nice exhaust note. all the other things I have seen (including the borla-made FRPP touring mufflers) are like 700 upwards.
The GT500/SVT mufflers are your best bet in my opinion. More muscular than stock at idle/light throttle, will wail pretty good when you open up the throttle, but never drone.

That are available here in the USA for far less than the $342 list price, not sure about costs in Europe, but be sure you shop around.
Old 4/11/11, 12:24 PM
V6 Member

Hi to Switzerland from good old Germany,

For a short impression of the GT 500 mufflers, you just have to "klick" on my videos @ my signature.

Until now i got no probs with the german police with these mufflers.

Cheers Dennis
Old 4/13/11, 01:15 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
The GT500/SVT mufflers are your best bet in my opinion. More muscular than stock at idle/light throttle, will wail pretty good when you open up the throttle, but never drone.

That are available here in the USA for far less than the $342 list price, not sure about costs in Europe, but be sure you shop around.
I am very happy to see you have warmed to them. I knew you would
Old 4/13/11, 02:40 PM
V6 Member

again, thanks for the good advices! I will definitely ask my dealer to get me these mufflers now!
Old 4/16/11, 09:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
I am very happy to see you have warmed to them. I knew you would
Thanks Shaun! It's among the very best mods I've made to any car, especially for the money. I just needed to re-calibrate my auditory expectations to align with the 5.0 engine, which is most decidedly NOT a pushrod Chevy small-block.

I still may find another exhaust I like more, but that will only happen as I listen to them at shows/etc. Right now my problem is finding Koni STR.T dampers in stock ANYWHERE. Then once I have those all set I will be seeking the 2010 "strut mounts"...