Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

New AFE CAI

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/11, 10:41 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New AFE CAI

Here's a new Cold Air Intake by AFE, I'm not sure if it requires a tune?

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...0L&&brandID=53
Old 7/28/11, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most likely it doesn't produce 22hp (probably half that without a tune) and it's $50 more than Air raid and other high end intakes that are just as good.

Edit: and no idea if it requires a tune. That should be something very important in their advertising. that's THE reason I got my air raid intake. I can use the stock tune. C&L also offer this. I'm assuming that since there is no mention of it in that ad, that it DOES require a tune.

Last edited by FastRedPonyCar; 7/28/11 at 11:26 AM.
Old 7/28/11, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe it gets those power numbers WITH a tune?
Old 7/28/11, 02:38 PM
Bullitt Member

if they tuned the car and only picked up 22hp, I would venture to say that the intake is robbing them of power. Most of these 5.0's with a tune/intake are making about 25~35 more hp over stock.
Old 7/28/11, 02:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

So its whack either way
Old 7/28/11, 07:59 PM

Hmm, well I do like that the AFE one is made of metal. I don't think it requires a tune, but I'm not sure?
Old 7/28/11, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
Hmm, well I do like that the AFE one is made of metal. I don't think it requires a tune, but I'm not sure?
It's really not a huge deal but intakes being made of metal aren't the best material choice. Plastic and carbon fiber and dark colored materials are best suited for less heat soak but really it doesn't make much of a difference given how well the air flow is with the intake to begin with.
Old 7/28/11, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I agree metal is a worse choice
Old 7/29/11, 08:05 AM

Yeah, I've heard that, but I still think I'd rather have metal if I'm going to pay $300 plus Dollars. Seems like it would more sturdy.....

Here's another link with some better pictures of it.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/0...1-mustang-5-0/

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
It's really not a huge deal but intakes being made of metal aren't the best material choice. Plastic and carbon fiber and dark colored materials are best suited for less heat soak but really it doesn't make much of a difference given how well the air flow is with the intake to begin with.
Old 7/29/11, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
Yeah, I've heard that, but I still think I'd rather have metal if I'm going to pay $300 plus Dollars. Seems like it would more sturdy.....

Here's another link with some better pictures of it.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/0...1-mustang-5-0/

how sturdy does an air intake really need to be? you're not going to break it unless you have a head on collision with someone and at that point, a damaged intake would be the least of your problems.

The only LEGIT reason that someone would have to buy this is for the bling factor. If you want some chrome under the hood, that's the one and only reason I can justify buying this... and in the event that you'd want a flashy intake, I would spend another $50 and either get the carbon fiber JLT intake or (as long as you don't have candy red metallic, ruling me out) the painted JLT intake.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/201...ainted-p-35718
Old 7/29/11, 09:11 AM

Well, I just like metal parts is all. I didn't post this to get in an argument, just FYI.

I also got them to offer Mustang source members a special price of $275 for the next couple of week. See third paragraph below.

I sent AFE an E-mail asking if their CAI requires a tune, and they said it didn't, see below.

Thank you for you interest. This intake does not require a tune. We do all of our dyno testing on a Mustang chassis dyno and make multiple passes. We toss out the high and low run and make enough runs to get at least 3 within 1hp of each other. We aggregate those 3 runs for the dyno results. We also post max power gain not peak. We did all dyno testing on a bone stock Mustang.

Yes, if they go through me directly I will extend the same offer of $275 with Free Shipping. How about we put a date to this program like all orders need to be placed by Aug 15th.

My contact info to use is jbruce@afepower.com and my direct line is 951-493-7147. Please either give me a call at 951-493-7147 so I can take you information down or email me you bill to address, cc number and ship to address and I will get it done for you.

Thanks again for your help and support,

Jason

More info on the Plastic verus Metal issue:

Also I read the thread about metal vs. plastic vs. carbon fiber. Here is some insight from aFe's perspective you might find interesting. Forums of many types talk about heat soak. Yes an open element intake will inhale some warm engine air during idle. Once the vehicle is in motion however, the air temps go down to almost ambient temperatures. We had this debate with a BMW forum a year ago and did temperature testing vs. a factory BMW M3 sealed intake vs. our open element stage 2 intake and found that as the vehicle began moving the aFe intake was cooler than a stock sealed intake. Part of what happens with an intake is the larger air filter is what defines how much air can be injested by the motor. Any aftermarket intake has a larger air filter than stock so there is more air volume that cools quickly as soon as the vehicle goes dynamic. There is also no data to prove that a metal intake has warmer air temperatures that plastic or carbon fiber. Aluminum intakes tend to be more constant diameter and allow for more aesthetic underhood looks. The rotomold plastic or composite materials tend to allow us to engineere more complex designs to make the air go faster.

Just thought I would share that for you and your group. The new 5.0L is an awesome vehicle and we are really proud of our new intake. Thanks for the time and support.

Jason R. BruceDirector - Marketing and Business Development

Last edited by Falchion; 7/29/11 at 03:45 PM.
Old 8/14/11, 03:52 PM

Well, I finally got my AFE CAI installed. The install went pretty well except that my car only has two hoses connected to the intake tube, and the AFE came equipped for three?

Did Ford do a design change? Or does the number of intake hoses depend on the model of Mustang? Does anybody know?

Anyways, here's what the final install looks like, along with some other pictures of the air box. I was very impressed by the quality of the AFE CAI. Heavy metal, powder coated, and it looks great!

I only had time for a short test drive today, but it sure is a lot louder driving then it used to be! Especially over 4000 RPMs.....

Here's some pics of the heat shield. Very well made, and riveted together!

Here's a pic of the stock intake with only two hoses, but it looks like there used to be three?

I wrapped the third connection with electrical tape since that's about all I had. lol

Last edited by Falchion; 8/14/11 at 04:04 PM.
Old 8/14/11, 03:57 PM
Cobra Member

Looks good
Old 8/14/11, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

3rd hose is for automatic transmission cars.
Old 8/14/11, 08:32 PM

OK, thanks for the information. I wonder why it didn't say that in the instructions? It would have saved me some confusion........

3rd hose is for automatic transmission cars.
Old 8/14/11, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

it's pretty common for companies to skimp out on instructions. Even though an intake can be considered pretty simple as far a skill level required, not everything is intuitive.

Did they not include a rubber cap or plug to block off the 3rd bung?
Old 8/14/11, 09:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good and not a bad price!
Old 8/15/11, 08:03 AM

No, no plug that I saw. They did include a couple of bottles of cleaning solution. I thought that was cool!

it's pretty common for companies to skimp out on instructions. Even though an intake can be considered pretty simple as far a skill level required, not everything is intuitive.

Did they not include a rubber cap or plug to block off the 3rd bung?
Old 8/15/11, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks good and the price is a +
Old 8/16/11, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would get a real cap for that and lose the electrical tape....

They should really offer two versions, one for auto and one for manual cars. My JLT had instructions on how and where to drill the hole for the third hose for the automatic cars and came with an extra fitting for it.

Is it just me or does that front rectangular part that fits inside the factory air scoop neck down really small? Like way smaller than the intake tube itself.

Also does clocking a blade style MAF sensor not have the same effect as the older style? I know on my 95 GT the orientation of the MAF could greatly impact its reading, and I noticed on my JLT the maf location is identical to stock. This intake the MAF is on the top on the other side, no where near the original location/clocking.

Quick Reply: New AFE CAI