Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Need Help - Adjustable coilover kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/11, 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help - Adjustable coilover kit questions

Is anyone using the adjustable D2 coilovers? I'm curious how the rear is height adjustable on this car. I thought it was the same as the front but after looking under my 2012 I noticed it has a shock by the rear wheel and a coil spring over the axle set up. I know how you adjust the height and dempening on the front strut set up but I'm lost how this D2 Racing coilover kit is going to allow me to adjust my ride height out back. Someone please explain the adjustable coilover kits to me. Thanks for your help
Old 8/27/11, 10:42 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
In the stock setup the shocks and springs are separate, but it seems to me that when you convert the rear to a true coil over setup the shock and spring become one and would now reside in the original shock location.
Old 8/27/11, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can the shock mounts suport the weight on the car like the spring normally would?
Old 8/28/11, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

on coilover kits the spring rates are usually atleast double the amount over the stock spring rate so you'll have plenty of support
Old 8/28/11, 05:36 PM
Cobra Member

Almost all S197 cars use a threaded spring rest in the OEM location for the rear, and a traditional coil-over design in the front. There are a few racing applications that went to true coil-overs in the rear, but as you noted lots of changes needed as the shock mount locations are not sufficient for spring mounts.

I suspect that these D2, being extremely cheap, use extremely cheap springs and shocks in the OEM locations.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...ers-450-a.html

All I can say is, maybe think Steeda or Ground Control instead:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...ion.php?II=666

Old 8/28/11, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why would you say the D2 Racing are extremely cheap? Don't they retail for around the same as the Ground Control? Do you have any personal experience with D2 products? Can you explain how the rear end is height adjustable?
Old 8/28/11, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Cause a set of good shocks (ie Koni, or even Bilsteins) is well over half the cost of that setup. Indicates that likely the shocks ain't that good, and I doubt the rest of the components are, either. Likely Chinese made, and seem to be aimed at the import tuner crowd, generally, which often aren't too concerned about the quality, more the price.

Ground Control starts with Koni shocks, uses name brand springs, and the rest of the components are American made. And as you pointed out, it doesn't cost too much more, so why not go with the better stuff? Same thing with Steeda, though they start with the cheaper Tokico D specs (so does Ford, used Illumina's in the Boss)

Of course, depends on what you want coil-overs for -- most people it sounds cooler than just spring and shock upgrades. Some like the height adjustability (though often leave it at a set height, ultimately). The purpose of coil overs is to allow some height adjustment tuning, but mostly for corner-weight adjustments, to balance the diagonals as close as possible.

Most of the adjustable rear spring perches are adjusted with the same spanner wrench used on the front threaded shock tube -- some have allen wrench set screws, some have lock nuts, either would have to be loosened first.
Old 8/28/11, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

How much do you think that kit cost? Seems like you are basing your opinion on this brand simply on price. Do you have any personal experience with D2? I am looking for the most drop for my money that still offers a good ride. I for one do not knock a company that is big in the import scene or because they are made in China or Japan Because I know from personal experience that just because something is "made in America" does not mean it is top quality.
Old 8/29/11, 09:27 AM
Cobra Member

To each his own. $1000 coil over setup = cheap in my book. Look at Eibach, KW, AST, and you'll see what quality costs. And they actually have known sponsored cars that run their equipment.

If you're happy with it, that's what matters. Like I said, depends on what you want it for -- as you mentioned, you want the lowest drop. Ride quality won't be the best with cheaper shocks, so it's up to you to decide if you're satisfied with what you get.
Just don't be surprised if you're unhappy with the damping and rebound characteristics.

But I live in Denver, horrible roads here, so even a 1" drop makes the ride harsh.
Old 8/29/11, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

My GT came with the Brembo package that included some sort of factory sport tuned suspension option so it already rides a bit stiffer then other GT's with out that package, it also sits higher by about an inch over other stock GT's with out the Brembo package. I have no idea what the "sport tuned" suspension upgrade means they did to the car. I don't plan to race the car or hit the track with it I just want it to be low enough so there is about half an inch gap from my fender to the tire running a 245/35/20 and 285/30/20 and not ride as harsh as my buddy's 06 STI with eibach lowering springs. If I can get it low and still ride the way mine does stock I will be tickled pink no matter who made the suspension kit ;-)
Old 8/29/11, 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

Good luck with that -- you're asking for an awful lot out of that kit, be interesting to see what your impression is after the install. No doubt the kit is better than the stock GT pieces -- well, the shocks at least as the stock ones really are horrible. KYBs would be an upgrade, really.

But you're asking a very simple suspension (strut, LCA up front, simple three point solid axle in the rear) to have a good ride with very little suspension travel. To compensate for the decreased travel the spring rates have to go up dramatically, which is true of any other lowering spring out there. That introduces impact harshness (worsened by your 20s), and that's not something easily damped by even the best shock. You also have to have excellent rebound control as there's alot of weight bouncing on those stiff springs.

Alot of coil-over systems have increased rates, true, but the cheap ones tend to keep the same wheel rate, not too far from replacement springs, cause otherwise the ride really suffers. I'm sure the D2 guys realize most of their buyers are not tracking the car at high levels -- otherwise they'd be buying higher quality pieces. So likely the rates are similar to the Enkei or H&R extreme lowering pieces. And the wheel rate here doesn't really change much as the mounting points are identical to stock.

My personal opinion is you'd have been better off with Eibach or H&R, or Steeda/FRPP (believe both are made by Eibach) extreme lowering springs with quality shocks like Koni or even Bilstein -- likely would have achieved your goals better. But keep us updated, maybe I'm wrong and they really are the steal of the century.
Old 8/29/11, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Along with the D2 kit I also ordered the SPC 2 side adjustable trailing arms and the SPC 2 way adjustable panhard bar. I guess I will find out how I like it in a couple weeks.
Old 9/3/11, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I had d2 coilovers on my last car (maxima) and they were good quality, didn't have any issues with them. They are a well known brand for many different cars. When I bought mine they offered different spring rates for the kind of setup you wanted, mine were stiff and were meant for the racetrack but they I got use to them for everyday driving.

you shouldn't be knocking company if you've never used their product and are just assuming their product is "cheap"

Last edited by LLZuB; 9/3/11 at 01:50 PM.
Old 9/4/11, 09:25 PM
Cobra Member

I'm not assuming it's cheap, it is cheap. $1000 for coilovers is cheap, just look at the other options out there -- quality non-adjustable units start at least half as much more; adjustables are often much more.
I don't personally know D2's quality (which I do assume to be cheap meaning inferior), but to reach that price point you can be sure it's all made in China. If you were happy with them, great. If the OP is happy, great, it's your money. But don't compare them to quality units that have a proven track record. There are bargain basement pieces out there, and there are decent quality and way-too-expensive. These fall in the bargain category, and generally you get what you pay for.

But it's your car, put what you'd like on it, just don't be surprised by shocks that won't do a great job with the lowering level you want. Konis and replacement stock springs are a better option.

Now wait for the mature response...

Last edited by CO_VaporGT_09; 9/5/11 at 09:58 AM.
Old 9/4/11, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you father knows best I really don't need your input anymore. We know the kit is a cheap pos and only things that are made in America are quality parts and we all know that you never pay more for parts simply because of the name. If it cost more it clearly is better. I'll go out and drop my hard earned cash on some suspension made by Rolex with gold and diamonds and I can say I have the best because my lowering kit cost me 15,000.

Ok now back on topic.

I would love to hear from others who have first hand experience with the D2's, thanks
Old 9/8/11, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I see attitudes are flying now.

D2, who are they? What do they know about shock? I mean Koni, Bilstein, KW, etc, are all names you know, and you see on performance and race cars.

If you want inexpensive coil-overs/weight jackers then I suggest ST (a division of KW) http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...216&ModelID=35 which are basically mild steel bodied versions of KW Variant 1's, or H&R street performance coil-overs http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...216&ModelID=35 (H&R dampers are Bilstein's fwiw).

Hell, how about I just link my entire coil-over page? http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...216&ModelID=35

If you want adjustable damping on the coil-overs we have those too.... KW Variant 3's are the best choice there (such things were used on cars like the Viper ACR).

I can't prove a negative to you, but the world does tend to operate in a get what you pay for way. You can buy tools at Harbor Freight, cheap. Are they ever as good as Snap-on, or even Craftsman? Nope. But many are happy to do it. If it's something you use rarely I guess that's ok. But the car's suspension, not something you use sparingly. And if you really think about it, it's the one part of the car, other than the tires that work all the time, in EVERY situation.
Old 9/8/11, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I really did not need your input either but..... We are not talking about a 300 dollar kit here guys come on. you act like a 1500 dollar retail priced kit is cheap. It is only a couple hundred cheaper then eibach and a few others mentioned here. Just because you have never heard of it or used it on your car doesnt mean its crap. People have been using D2 Racing suspension on much more expensive cars for a long time. Why would someone who had a 75000 dollar infinity use D2 over KY or Eiback or what ever else you mentioned, why would someone who has spend 50,000 plus on there 370Z use it instead of all your so called better brands. You guys need to open your eyes and realize there is a whole worlds of parts available out there besides the Mustang "norm". Heres a question. I read that Vogtland springs are used on Nascar so why doesnt anyone run those on there Mustangs instead of Eibach or H&R when lowering with just springs? The Vogtland are cheaper in most cases then the Eibachs. Its all in a name when it comes to most peoples opinions on a product. Why do people pay well over 1000 bucks for a LV or Prada purse when its all made with the same materials as the cheap ones and its all made in China. Its not made any better nor will it last any longer then the one you can buy at Wally world for $29.95. Now we are talking a huge price difference yet the quality difference is not there. So when it comes to suspension all of a sudden you think no one charges more for there name and gives you the same or less quality then another name brand,... and a 20% difference in price is all of a sudden a huge quality difference....wake up. ok Im done
Old 9/8/11, 04:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey, check the attitude will ya?

You don't need my input either, but here you are asking what people think. The only think I can think is you want to be patted on the back for your choice.

Hey dude, you can believe what you want, you clearly seem to headed that way. If you want to run that stuff, that's been around less than 15 years and has no history or specifics, go right ahead. Might I ask what are the spring rates? Are they double acting single adjustables, or single? My bet is double which is the easy way out and you can get that in Tokico for less than $700.

So because someone else who has no idea uses these on a more expensive car they are the cat's ***? Wow, that's logical....

I know Vogtland, in fact I deal with them quite a lot. I sell them too... And I have them make springs for me for another car. They also make springs for another company that's big into Mustangs too. Further, race springs aren't street springs, and I'm not in love with the rates they use on the Mustang for a street car, I think there are better street springs.

Your Wal-Mart comment is telling... and frankly your attitude sucks. No matter what you'll love your choice because you made it. Details be damned!!!!!!

Enjoy the cheap, not cheap stuff you bought that you nothing about.
Old 9/8/11, 04:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

First of all you don't know me or know anything about me so you should check yur attitude. I was not getting an attitude anyway I was calm and collected in my reply's. Also I did not ask for your input on any other manufacture of coilovers I asked how the rear was adjustable on the D2 kit. So if you have nothing nice to to say about the products in question then keep your trap shut and dont try to sell me on the products you happen to sell on your website. What a joke and Im the one with the problem. I may not know everything there is to know about the Mustang suspension but that does not mean that I do not know anything about customizing vehicles. I have been building custom trucks for 15 years and this is the first time I am doing anything like this to a car so things are a little different. I am use to using air ride and not adjustable coil over kits.

Anyway back to the topic at hand. I now know how it works so please for the love of god someone close this thread so someone else doesnt jump in and tell me to use there product instead of the one I got
Old 9/9/11, 10:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wtf did I walk into here

Quick Reply: Need Help - Adjustable coilover kit questions