Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Mustang GT Track Cal impressions

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/14, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
True. At this point though I'm more concerned about the reported a/c issue and the evidence of the tune killing cats posted on the track key thread.
You know the more I've been driving around with the Track Cal I do notice that the A/C does seem to switch from hot air to cold. Doesn't do it with MAX AC, but normal A/C it does...and only during lopey idle.

I also have noticed a slight unusual smell from the car after being on the lopey idle for any length of time.

I'm gonna try disabling the lopey idle see if I still have these problems. Might have to consider flashing back to stock tune.
Old 6/25/14, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True. At this point though I'm more concerned about the reported a/c issue and the evidence of the tune killing cats posted on the track key thread.
Considering the first Trackey and Track Cal tunes are only a few weeks old I am surprised that anyone has had a verifiable cat failure that can be attributed to the tune.

I can understand the a/c compressor clutch disengaging sooner than the stock tune based on throttle position to reduce parasitic engine load.

Both tunes are designed for tack use. Every track I have run requires one or both front windows open for safety therefore a/c is worthless.
Regardless of tune or not, looking for max power at the track I would never be lapping with the a/c on.

Last edited by BBM3; 6/25/14 at 08:05 PM.
Old 6/25/14, 10:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BBM3
Considering the first Trackey and Track Cal tunes are only a few weeks old I am surprised that anyone has had a verifiable cat failure that can be attributed to the tune. I can understand the a/c compressor clutch disengaging sooner than the stock tune based on throttle position to reduce parasitic engine load. Both tunes are designed for tack use. Every track I have run requires one or both front windows open for safety therefore a/c is worthless. Regardless of tune or not, looking for max power at the track I would never be lapping with the a/c on.
The ac isn't getting hot during wot runs. The ac is blowing hot then cold at idle during lopey idle. And even during driving, the compressor clutch doesn't disengage under normal driving conditions, regardless of tune. It shuts off typically at high rpms under full load only, if that. And you wouldn't be able to notice it blowing warm even if the tune disengaged it 1000 rpms early.

Yes I understand not needing or wanting ac at the track. I also understand that this was "designed" for track use. But this is happening during daily driving. And I can't see FRPP making a tune where the ac stops blowing the temp selected for what will obviously also be used on the street. This is very much a problem with the tune.

And regarding the cat failure. Every other ghost cam tune requires a catless mid pipe. Plus the dealership that the poster went to told him that they have seen cat failure on many track key mustangs before. So either a) there are way more 2014 gt's with the key than you think or b) this was also happening with the boss track key.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/25/14 at 10:35 PM.
Old 6/26/14, 11:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I took a datalog of the engine idling normal and lopey to compare. The attached graph shows degrees of spark advance, InHg of manifold vacuum and A/F ratio. You'll notice on the lopey idle the timing is retarded and A/F ratio is much choppier.

I didn't include revs because they actually both hold very tight around 780 RPM.

Another thing I noticed that's not on the graph is a fuel flow difference. Normal idle uses about .45gph but lopey idle uses .92gph.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang GT Track Cal impressions-idlecompare.jpg  
Old 6/26/14, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I wonder if having the track pack and/or having 5w50 vs. 5w20 is part of the lopey idle problem. I.e., is the lopey idle program only good for one configuration with one type of oil...?
Old 6/26/14, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mfc133
I took a datalog of the engine idling normal and lopey to compare. The attached graph shows degrees of spark advance, InHg of manifold vacuum and A/F ratio. You'll notice on the lopey idle the timing is retarded and A/F ratio is much choppier. I didn't include revs because they actually both hold very tight around 780 RPM. Another thing I noticed that's not on the graph is a fuel flow difference. Normal idle uses about .45gph but lopey idle uses .92gph.
Nice! Sure enough they took out timing and added fuel. And fuel flow is double. That explains the smell during idle and confirms that it's killing the cats.
Old 6/26/14, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I wonder if having the track pack and/or having 5w50 vs. 5w20 is part of the lopey idle problem. I.e., is the lopey idle program only good for one configuration with one type of oil...?
The instructions for the track cal say to use 5-50. But people have called FRPP and they said its fine to use 5-20 too.
Old 6/26/14, 12:51 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I took a datalog of the engine idling normal and lopey to compare. The attached graph shows degrees of spark advance, InHg of manifold vacuum and A/F ratio. You'll notice on the lopey idle the timing is retarded and A/F ratio is much choppier.

I didn't include revs because they actually both hold very tight around 780 RPM.

Another thing I noticed that's not on the graph is a fuel flow difference. Normal idle uses about .45gph but lopey idle uses .92gph.
Thanks for doing this read out. May be best to save the track key for the track. Or at least shut off the lopey idle for the majority of driving?
Old 6/26/14, 03:13 PM
Cobra Member

So far that's 2 cals with ac issues and one key with cat issues on TMS.
Old 6/26/14, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

So far that's 2 cals with ac issues and one key with cat issues on TMS.
There's a couple threads on svtperformance on this. One Track Key user got the CEL for cats, called Ford Racing and was told to just clear the codes:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...1#post14244554

There is also another Track Cal user with the A/C issue:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...1#post14251496

I wonder if MyStang2010GB's dealer may have jumped the gun replacing his cats?
Old 6/26/14, 04:11 PM
Cobra Member

There's a couple threads on svtperformance on this. One Track Key user got the CEL for cats, called Ford Racing and was told to just clear the codes: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...1#post14244554 There is also another Track Cal user with the A/C issue: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...1#post14251496 I wonder if MyStang2010GB's dealer may have jumped the gun replacing his cats?
The ac report is the same guy on here. You are the second. But that does equal 2 plus the other guys friend with the cat issue.

Interesting that the issues seem isolated to the key or cal. No one with the key reports the ac stuff yet. You two are some of the first with the cal and both of you have it.

I'd be willing to bet that the dealer didn't jump anything. FRPP could quite possibly be scrambling for a fix but won't say it yet. Until then they just say to clear the code.

The dealer on the other hand is like, hey, we've seen this already. They will need to be replaced.

It's no secret that fuel will burn up cats. Not only does that reading show the car run extremely rich in lopey. But everyone reports that you can smell it. Not sure who FR is trying to fool by saying a battery pull will fix it.
Old 6/26/14, 06:00 PM
Bullitt Member

It's no secret that fuel will burn up cats. Not only does that reading show the car run extremely rich in lopey. But everyone reports that you can smell it. Not sure who FR is trying to fool by saying a battery pull will fix it.
I don't know...the lowest AFR on the log is 14.2, so not terribly rich. And I'm sure if you datalog a Boss 302 w/Track Key it would look the same, and they don't have cat issues.

If we're lucky maybe Ford Racing would chime in on one of these threads to shed some light on this.
Old 6/26/14, 07:14 PM
Cobra Member

I don't know...the lowest AFR on the log is 14.2, so not terribly rich. And I'm sure if you datalog a Boss 302 w/Track Key it would look the same, and they don't have cat issues. If we're lucky maybe Ford Racing would chime in on one of these threads to shed some light on this.
It is richer than stock though, by far. And do we know for sure that boss track key guys have zero issues? The dealer did say they have seen track key mustangs with bad cats before.
Old 6/26/14, 09:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a couple threads on svtperformance on this. One Track Key user got the CEL for cats, called Ford Racing and was told to just clear the codes: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...1#post14244554 There is also another Track Cal user with the A/C issue: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...1#post14251496 I wonder if MyStang2010GB's dealer may have jumped the gun replacing his cats?
My CEL came back after the dealer cleared it today. I have not used the Trackey since Monday. Codes were cleared and came back running regular key and 93 Octane
Old 6/27/14, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
My CEL came back after the dealer cleared it today. I have not used the Trackey since Monday. Codes were cleared and came back running regular key and 93 Octane
Wow....smh
Old 6/27/14, 07:32 PM
GT Member

Three hundred suburban miles so far. No problems. Hope it continues to run well. I am liking it.
Old 6/27/14, 07:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by todcp
Three hundred suburban miles so far. No problems. Hope it continues to run well. I am liking it.
You have the cal though right? For some reason the cat issues are only popping up on the keys. Have you noticed the ac issues yet? Or the smell during lopey idle?

My thoughts are honestly that the tunes are the same, and people smell the fuel burning the cats. I think cat issues WILL arise sooner or later unfortunately. As far as the ac stuff, idk. Seems like a glitch in the tune.

A guy with the key said that he has to clear the cat failure code every 3 days.

Not to freak anyone out, but when cats start to go, the break up and dust and particles get sucked in through the EGR. I've seen engines totaled because cat failure.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/27/14 at 07:41 PM.
Old 6/27/14, 07:49 PM
GT Member

You have the cal though right? For some reason the cat issues are only popping up on the keys. Have you noticed the ac issues yet? Or the smell during lopey idle?

My thoughts are honestly that the tunes are the same, and people smell the fuel burning the cats. I think cat issues WILL arise sooner or later unfortunately. As far as the ac stuff, idk. Seems like a glitch in the tune.

A guy with the key said that he has to clear the cat failure code every 3 days.

Not to freak anyone out, but when cats start to go, the break up and dust and particles get sucked in through the EGR. I've seen engines totaled because cat failure.
I have the track key on my 2014.5 No air cond issues but not very warn here in northern NH. No unusual smell from the exhaust. I only run Shell 93 octane. Have not tried to run 91. I also run with a Steeda oil separator.
This is my summer fun car so I don't put a lot of miles on in. Next track day is July 22 and this will be the first track day with the tune. I run advanced/instructor group.
I will report back on how things are going as I add more miles and after the track day.

Last edited by todcp; 6/27/14 at 07:55 PM.