5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MMR CAI Dyno results inside!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/10, 01:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks JJ, you just saved people a bunch of $$.
Old 6/6/10, 09:15 AM
V6 Member

I'm still willing to give MMR CAI another shot with some tuning and maybe it will show a gain.

I'm still disapointed at the extra "fitting" on the inlet tube that is not needed for non CA emission cars and the heatshield needs to get air from the stock location. I will be contacting them this week to pass on my findings and hopefully help them make what they are offering a better part overall. If it needs to be tuned to get close to the advertised gains then we will do that and report back.

We are not custom tuning our car and will post those results asap.

JJ
Old 6/6/10, 09:57 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JJ@WMS
I'm still willing to give MMR CAI another shot with some tuning and maybe it will show a gain.

I'm still disapointed at the extra "fitting" on the inlet tube that is not needed for non CA emission cars and the heatshield needs to get air from the stock location. I will be contacting them this week to pass on my findings and hopefully help them make what they are offering a better part overall. If it needs to be tuned to get close to the advertised gains then we will do that and report back.

We are not custom tuning our car and will post those results asap.

JJ
Trying it with tuning is fine so long as you also do the tuning to the car with the stock air inlet and see if the MMR CAI is worth anything or not. If you get the same HP increase with tuning the stock setup as you do with the MMR piece then that will show that it is worthless for anything but looks.

I will be looking forward to test results from the C&L inlet, I believe it will do better than the mmr piece.
Old 6/6/10, 02:35 PM
FR500 Member

JJ are you dynoing the car with the hood closed? I think that would be important to take into account the possible difference in intake temps. The air inlet temp can have a more pronounced effect on power than the 'free flow' of the intake.
Old 6/6/10, 02:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Trying it with tuning is fine so long as you also do the tuning to the car with the stock air inlet and see if the MMR CAI is worth anything or not. If you get the same HP increase with tuning the stock setup as you do with the MMR piece then that will show that it is worthless for anything but looks.

I will be looking forward to test results from the C&L inlet, I believe it will do better than the mmr piece.

Same here, it looks good and I really hope it performs.
Old 6/6/10, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

MMmmm that isnt going to help sales any. Come on do people actually not realize how easy info is to obtain now days? Tell people the truth about your products....If you had to tune or add such and such exhaust just let it be known. In the long run it will not hurt you as bad. Now even if they do say something like o well we had to add this set of headers also to get XXhp no one will want to deal with them any way.
Old 6/8/10, 05:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
JJ are you dynoing the car with the hood closed? I think that would be important to take into account the possible difference in intake temps. The air inlet temp can have a more pronounced effect on power than the 'free flow' of the intake.
I actually perfer a before and after test with the hood closed. Nobody drives around with their hood open.
Old 6/8/10, 12:47 PM

Our understanding from those who were involved is that the computer/ecu was never reset which we found to be critical, when we dyno tested our 5 speed the first time we saw a horrible rough graph and TQ loss, after reseting the ECU the HP #s were smooth and a great increase in both HP and torque, we also were told that the dyno testing was performed with the hood open allowing the intake to take in warm engine air.

Long story short this is a great indication of what happens when the ECU is not reset and explains the rough curve that we both found when conducting a similar test without reseting the computer (disconnecting the battery).

MMR prides itself on building great products, this product was no exception and our HP increase that we claim was found on both test vehicle with no other changes.

We would like to see this customer take the vehicle back to the dyno and reset the computer between tests, he will quickly see the same results MMR and our other customers with this kit have found.

Last edited by Mod Mustang Racing; 6/8/10 at 12:52 PM.
Old 6/8/10, 01:00 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mod Mustang Racing
Our understanding from those who were involved is that the computer/ecu was never reset which we found to be critical, when we dyno tested our 5 speed the first time we saw a horrible rough graph and TQ loss, after reseting the ECU the HP #s were smooth and a great increase in both HP and torque, we also were told that the dyno testing was performed with the hood open allowing the intake to take in warm engine air.

Long story short this is a great indication of what happens when the ECU is not reset and explains the rough curve that we both found when conducting a similar test without reseting the computer (disconnecting the battery).

MMR prides itself on building great products, this product was no exception and our HP increase that we claim was found on both test vehicle with no other changes.

We would like to see this customer take the vehicle back to the dyno and reset the computer between tests, he will quickly see the same results MMR and our other customers with this kit have found.

Get on it JJ! I'm curious to see if this is true!

Good luck MMR
Old 6/8/10, 01:20 PM

On a side note we have also found that the emission equipment is somewhat different on this customers car, compared to our MMR test vehicle, it turns out Ford made a California emissions ECU and added an extra breather tube on our version, the customers version was lacking this particular nipple on the stock intake which we will now include a cap for which may or may not be present on all vehicles, our concern now however is that the ECU calibration on the non california cars may also differ from those in other states! We are urgently working to get a non-california emissions vehicle to our facility to make sure that our test results hold true with the other calibrations, if they do not we will offer a flash to correct this to insure our customers see the gains we have claimed and found in our test vehicles.

Last edited by Mod Mustang Racing; 6/8/10 at 01:24 PM.
Old 6/8/10, 01:22 PM
FR500 Member

On a side note we have also found that the emission equipment is somewhat different on this customers car, compared to our MMR test vehicle, it turns out Ford made a California emissions ECU and added an extra breather tube on our version, the customers version was lacking this particular nipple on the intake which we will now include a cap for which may or may not be present on all vehicles, our concern now however is that the ECU calibration on the non california cars may also differ from those in other states! We are urgently working to get a non-california emissions vehicle to our facility to make sure that our test results hold true with the other calibrations, if they do not we will offer a flash to correct this to insure our customers see the gains we have claimed and found in our test vehicles.
Thanks for taking the time to post here. I look forward to the next set of dyno results.
Old 6/8/10, 01:43 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for taking the time on the phone today. I will do exactly as you had suggested and put the car back on the dyno.

Please make sure you update your instructions and make it stand out very clearly to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU.

Thanks again,

JJ
Old 6/8/10, 02:38 PM

Thanks for taking the time on the phone today. I will do exactly as you had suggested and put the car back on the dyno.

Please make sure you update your instructions and make it stand out very clearly to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU.

Thanks again,

JJ
Our pleasure, we are hoping that this is simply the same problem we found with the ecu not being reset, if it isnt we will work diligently to pursue the cause and make this customer happy!
Old 6/8/10, 02:42 PM

Thanks again,

JJ
You are very welcome, be sure to leave the battery disconnected between tests for at least 5 minutes (negative battery cable only) to clear the short and long term fuel trims. We want to make sure you are happy and will even go as far as offering a refund if we cannot figure out why your particular car showed HP gains but lost torque. We stand behind our products 100% and customer service is very important to us!

MMR
1-877-MOD-POWR
Old 6/8/10, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has any other dyno graph been shown where this kit makes the power?
Old 6/8/10, 03:34 PM
V6 Member

Well several different pulls in mostly all gears with the custom tune, MMR CAI reinstalled, adaptive learning turned off and not a hint of the computer pulling the throttle back. Loaded stock tune back in and viola computer pulled the throttle back as before. Turned adaptive learning off in stock tune (only change made to stock calibration) and it did not pull the throttle back one bit. Airfuel and everything else stayed the same during each test.

Now its back on the dyno for more testing.

JJ
Old 6/8/10, 06:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well several different pulls in mostly all gears with the custom tune, MMR CAI reinstalled, adaptive learning turned off and not a hint of the computer pulling the throttle back. Loaded stock tune back in and viola computer pulled the throttle back as before. Turned adaptive learning off in stock tune (only change made to stock calibration) and it did not pull the throttle back one bit. Airfuel and everything else stayed the same during each test.

Now its back on the dyno for more testing.

JJ
Man i wish i had a job like that. Thx for the input.
Old 6/8/10, 08:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm looking forward to what JJ gets with the stock setup and a tune, then with the MMR intake.

Last edited by bpmurr; 6/8/10 at 09:11 PM.
Old 6/8/10, 09:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
I'm looking forward to what JJ gets with the stock setup and a tune, the with the MMR intake.
Stock airbox tuning today with no VCT changes just changes in driver demand tables, rev limit, global spark adder, and airfuel gave us almost 10hp and 15tq. The driver demand tq table changes are the ones that you feel "seat of the pants" more then anything else. VCT changes coming this week as well as more MMR CAI dyno and track numbers.

JJ
Old 6/8/10, 09:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Stock airbox tuning today with no VCT changes just changes in driver demand tables, rev limit, global spark adder, and airfuel gave us almost 10hp and 15tq. The driver demand tq table changes are the ones that you feel "seat of the pants" more then anything else. VCT changes coming this week as well as more MMR CAI dyno and track numbers.

JJ
Not bad at all and you're not even done!

FYI, still no word from the dealer on my clutch yet...

Last edited by bpmurr; 6/8/10 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: MMR CAI Dyno results inside!!!!