5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW Race Spec and Blowfish bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/14, 11:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
I have the later updated version that kept the factory boot. It was a total PITA but shifting is great. Just some decent fluid (RP Syncromax??) and she'll be 100% worry free.
I still get lockout every now and then (usually cold), so I definitely need to try a new fluid.
Old 11/29/14, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I still get lockout every now and then (usually cold), so I definitely need to try a new fluid.
I don't get lockout, just some notchiness when cold, but no grinding anymore, thank goodness. That's why I'm doing fluid when she comes out in spring. You doing RP or something else?
Old 11/29/14, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't get lockout, just some notchiness when cold, but no grinding anymore, thank goodness. That's why I'm doing fluid when she comes out in spring. You doing RP or something else?
So the notchiness is not the shifter, it's the fluid?

Maybe I don't need a shifter as badly as I thought.
Old 11/29/14, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon302
You still have the stock shifting rod that can articulate with the BF bracket and none race spec MGW, that won't be as solid as the race spec's new shift rod.
Is the solid shift rod that big of a deal? I know it is with the race spec MGW because they use it as a second mount point. With the MGW rev 1 and the Blowfish bracket its not supporting anything. Makes me wonder if its some hype on MGW's part but in reality its just needed in their design to work properly. I also know some have a lot of weld slag on their factory shift rod and may feel the need to replace it but mine was perfectly smooth from the factory.

On a side note I just picked up an aluminum Shaftmasters driveshaft as part of their Black Friday deal. I like the idea of the driveshaft safety loop that the Blowfish bracket provides.
Old 11/29/14, 01:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by RaceRed-GT
Is the solid shift rod that big of a deal? I know it is with the race spec MGW because they use it as a second mount point. With the MGW rev 1 and the Blowfish bracket its not supporting anything. Makes me wonder if its some hype on MGW's part but in reality its just needed in their design to work properly. I also know some have a lot of weld slag on their factory shift rod and may feel the need to replace it but mine was perfectly smooth from the factory.

On a side note I just picked up an aluminum Shaftmasters driveshaft as part of their Black Friday deal. I like the idea of the driveshaft safety loop that the Blowfish bracket provides.
Other than being a second mounting point I think the solid shift rod is a necessity in making sure the shifts are as precise as possible. I am sure the BF bracket will work for everyone, people who tracks their cars with it have had nothing but great things to say, that and in competition something like the MGW isn't allowed. However when everything else is solidly mounted that shift rod can still move because of all it's joints, I love the BF bracket and I think Steve is an awesome engineer but for those who have to have the absolute best and can afford the race spec I think it's the way to go.
Old 11/29/14, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
So the notchiness is not the shifter, it's the fluid?

Maybe I don't need a shifter as badly as I thought.
Initially my shifting was audibly crunchy, and really bad when the car was cold. When fully warmed up, it varied between notchy and crunchy, and quick shifts just weren't in the cards no matter what. I started with the Energy Suspension bushing as a $15 test to see what effect it had. It made the car driveable when cold and a decent improvement when warm as long as my own technique was dead bang on in terms of timing. Putting the MGW in was a night and day improvement. It made it "a bit notchy" when the car was cold, and nice and smooth and positive when the car was warm, even when hustling it and shifting quickly. At this point, just improving cold lubrication is really all I've got left to do.
Old 11/29/14, 05:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not sure...need to do the research. I still get crunchy shifting and I've ground 5th and 2nd a couple times. With the MGW, I really have to pull towards me to grab 2nd consistently, and really have to shove up right for 5th...
Old 11/29/14, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am sure the BF bracket will work for everyone, people who tracks their cars with it have had nothing but great things to say, that and in competition something like the MGW isn't allowed.
Interesting. Why is the MGW prohibited in competition?
Old 11/29/14, 10:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Interesting. Why is the MGW prohibited in competition?
I am not sure, I spoke to a guy at Summit recently who said American Iron doesn't allow for short throw shifters.
Old 11/30/14, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can you post the install notes? I don't think you can say for certain it is the best mod out there without having tried the others, however it looks extremely good.
I've tried a lot of shifters/bracket combos. Including the bf bracket with a tri ax shifter. The bf bracket is good but I wanted something with less nvh. The new mgw is by far, the best available. And it's cheaper than and shifter/ bf bracket combo out there. Unless you keep the stock shifter.
Old 12/2/14, 07:47 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I'm loving this new MGW race spec! After watching the video, this may be the push I needed to finally get one. The design looks very sound to me, and I like their reasoning for using the bracket as a damper.

Now will the 2014 version come with the option of getting the 2015 shift know? It looks really cool.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 12/2/14 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12/12/14, 02:58 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RaceRed-GT

I just wanted to post and clarify a few things because i feel you are off base just a bit on the design of my shifter...

The linkage ( pivot ) rod is not intended as a support piece , i was just stating that BECAUSE it actually is a top loader concept i.e. rod coming straight out of the trans..then it actually provides even more stability.

I know its going to take more and more guys actually getting this race spec in their hands to understand just how rigid it is. i COMPLETELY put it up against any bracket or design and stand that it is just as rigid if not more. Plus... with the engineering i have done in the whole shifter assembly, NVH is minimized greatly!!

I keep hearing over and over and over ( not from you ) that our shifter STILL attaches to the body and thats why its not as rigid but i just cannot stress enough that this in ONLY for NVH!!!! we tried the shifter with and without and the rear bracket design technology really really works to absorb vibration.

George

George
Old 12/12/14, 06:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MGW
I just wanted to post and clarify a few things because i feel you are off base just a bit on the design of my shifter... The linkage ( pivot ) rod is not intended as a support piece , i was just stating that BECAUSE it actually is a top loader concept i.e. rod coming straight out of the trans..then it actually provides even more stability. I know its going to take more and more guys actually getting this race spec in their hands to understand just how rigid it is. i COMPLETELY put it up against any bracket or design and stand that it is just as rigid if not more. Plus... with the engineering i have done in the whole shifter assembly, NVH is minimized greatly!! I keep hearing over and over and over ( not from you ) that our shifter STILL attaches to the body and thats why its not as rigid but i just cannot stress enough that this in ONLY for NVH!!!! we tried the shifter with and without and the rear bracket design technology really really works to absorb vibration. George George
How do I buy this? I can't find it on your website. How much is it?
Old 12/12/14, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

George, thanks for weighing in.
Old 12/13/14, 09:57 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mr. V
How do I buy this? I can't find it on your website. How much is it?

Call us at 706-793-1770. Site most likely will not be updated until after Christmas.

George
Old 12/13/14, 09:58 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

George, thanks for weighing in.
Old 12/13/14, 10:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by MGW
Hey George, can you comment on the rumor that you guys are offering a core trade in for the updated MT-82 shifter? I have the original MGW for mine and would like to upgrade to the newer one.
Old 12/13/14, 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey George, can you comment on the rumor that you guys are offering a core trade in for the updated MT-82 shifter? I have the original MGW for mine and would like to upgrade to the newer one.
call them. The are offered a $200 core exchange. They give you 30 days to return the gen 1.
Old 12/13/14, 11:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
call them. The are offered a $200 core exchange. They give you 30 days to return the gen 1.
Yeah mine is a lot older than 30 days lol
Old 12/13/14, 11:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Yeah mine is a lot older than 30 days lol
It's probably thirty days from the date of purchase of the new unit.

Quick Reply: MGW Race Spec and Blowfish bracket