5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW on it's way

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/13, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sold. MGW to the top of the parts list! I'll be placing my order very soon!
Old 10/4/13, 04:05 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
I just placed my order for the MGW and I also went and ordered a GHIG Roush shifter ball as well.
Old 10/4/13, 05:18 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
I just placed my order for the MGW and I also went and ordered a GHIG Roush shifter ball as well.
I expect to see a step-by-step account of your installation, along with a lot of pics. I also expected to read like someone else's recent thread on here…
Old 10/4/13, 06:01 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

HA HA!!!
My buddy will be helping me out. He owns the shop. And the lift, which will make things A LOT easier.
If we do it on a Sunday, an off work day, I'll do a photo-how-to.
Old 10/4/13, 10:39 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The lift will make it real easy, the rubber boot is the hardest part of the job but worth persevering with for it to work properly. Therest is straight forward nut & bolt stuff.

Here's a pic of how high my car was off the ground to do thejob, bare minimum but it worked.

After driving I had a couple of issues selecting second so Imade the recommended adjustment which unfortunately meant removing andinstalling the rubber boot again, it could possibly do with a touch more adjustment but I am in no hurry to tangle with that boot again so I will give it some miles and see how I feel about after a bit of wearing in. Apart from that it's the best mod ever for these cars.

Thanks to the centering spring 2 - 3 is effortless, just alight push forward, makes driving even more fun.
Old 10/5/13, 02:02 AM
GT Member

I'mnotsurewhyallthewordsjointogetherafterIpost, whatsupwiththat?
Old 10/5/13, 05:04 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Fawls
Were you sober when typing this? Lol
Old 10/5/13, 07:22 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

HA HA!!!!
Nice car. Yeah, there will be no rush or any short corners when doing the install MGW at all. Thanks!
Old 10/5/13, 03:35 PM
GT Member

Stage3 , too bad you're so far away or we could knock it out at my place, when you do yours and you watch the video, there are a few discrepancies with socket sizes on a few bolts, I noticed this while putting mine in. So I just brought the whole socket rail under the dad with me. And I agree with everyone else on the boot, it is a royal pain in the ***. But it's worth every muscle cramp I had in my hands. Let us know what you think when it's in and you get to drive it
Old 10/5/13, 04:26 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by DinoDoc
Stage3 , too bad you're so far away or we could knock it out at my place, when you do yours and you watch the video, there are a few discrepancies with socket sizes on a few bolts, I noticed this while putting mine in. So I just brought the whole socket rail under the dad with me. And I agree with everyone else on the boot, it is a royal pain in the ***. But it's worth every muscle cramp I had in my hands. Let us know what you think when it's in and you get to drive it
Very cool man, thanks!
My buddy has A LOT of tools at his shop, so we should be ok. "Should". lol
I will give my opinion on the shifter after I drive it.
Old 10/6/13, 07:57 PM
GT Member

After driving I had a couple of issues selecting second so Imade the recommended adjustment which unfortunately meant removing andinstalling the rubber boot again, it could possibly do with a touch more adjustment but I am in no hurry to tangle with that boot again so I will give it some miles and see how I feel about after a bit of wearing in. Apart from that it's the best mod ever for these cars.
You can cut the zip tie and pull the top of the boot up off the gold part. This gives you just enough room to adjust the pin with a thin hex key. The "L" shape of the key is critical, as it gives you two different angles to work from. It's tight, but it worked for me. Also, have a zip tie handy to put it back together right.

I've been running my MGW for a little over a week now and I love it. Very direct shifts. It did not resolve my occasional notchiness into third, but it seems to have helped a bit. The quest to become fully confident in my MT-82 continues.

As for the installation, It's not bad. Like someone else said, basic nuts and bolts stuff. It was a little time consuming though. Just have the MGW installation video on your phone or laptop handy and have at it. I also watched through the vid twice before starting.

Last edited by jmaStang; 10/6/13 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10/7/13, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by jmaStang
You can cut the zip tie and pull the top of the boot up off the gold part. This gives you just enough room to adjust the pin with a thin hex key. The "L" shape of the key is critical, as it gives you two different angles to work from. It's tight, but it worked for me. Also, have a zip tie handy to put it back together right.

I've been running my MGW for a little over a week now and I love it. Very direct shifts. It did not resolve my occasional notchiness into third, but it seems to have helped a bit. The quest to become fully confident in my MT-82 continues.

As for the installation, It's not bad. Like someone else said, basic nuts and bolts stuff. It was a little time consuming though. Just have the MGW installation video on your phone or laptop handy and have at it. I also watched through the vid twice before starting.
I've been tempted to play with that adjustment screw on the left side of the reverse lockout for the 1-2 shift as well. Sometimes it feels like the 1-2 shift goes in an arc around the neutral gate for me. Other times I don't notice it.

Also, I just put on the TWM M1 Abrams stainless shift ****. With a 15.1 ounce ball atop the MGW, shifts are even more effortless. Once I get the factory trans fill out and replaced with Redline MTL, I think my MT-82 will finally feel like a decent, direct-input transmission.
Old 10/7/13, 10:47 AM
I Have No Life

The lift will make it real easy, the rubber boot is the hardest part of the job but worth persevering with for it to work properly. Therest is straight forward nut & bolt stuff.

Here's a pic of how high my car was off the ground to do thejob, bare minimum but it worked.

Thanks to the centering spring 2 - 3 is effortless, just alight push forward, makes driving even more fun.
Is that a 2012 Kona, with a saleen grille and gt/cs front? What's the decal on the side say?

Nice car!!!
Old 10/7/13, 04:03 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Is that a 2012 Kona, with a saleen grille and gt/cs front? What's the decal on the side say?
Nice car!!!
I'm pretty sure that is a Roush Mustang Burton.
Old 10/7/13, 07:47 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stage_3
I'm pretty sure that is a Roush Mustang Burton.
Ah my bad...

Tony how's the install of MGW?
Old 10/8/13, 12:43 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jmaStang

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that first if I decide it requires further adjustment, I had assumed the gap at the top would be insufficient.

Nice car!!!
Thanks, it is all Roush, a 2011 5XR Roush to be specific.
Old 10/8/13, 08:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VQ to 5-OH
I've been tempted to play with that adjustment screw on the left side of the reverse lockout for the 1-2 shift as well. Sometimes it feels like the 1-2 shift goes in an arc around the neutral gate for me. Other times I don't notice it.

Also, I just put on the TWM M1 Abrams stainless shift ****. With a 15.1 ounce ball atop the MGW, shifts are even more effortless. Once I get the factory trans fill out and replaced with Redline MTL, I think my MT-82 will finally feel like a decent, direct-input transmission.
I did the same thing, and I LOVE that shift **** - the extra weight really helps with 3rd and 5th!
Old 10/8/13, 09:35 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by ColSaulTigh
I did the same thing, and I LOVE that shift **** - the extra weight really helps with 3rd and 5th!
Any pics and link of said ****? I'm interested
Old 10/8/13, 02:22 PM

Any pics and link of said ****? I'm interested
Here ya go!

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftkn...11%2B&twmonly=

I have the Stainless one, but tempted to hand it to my powdercoater buddy and have him put a black crinkled finish on it for a different look and better grip.

Last edited by VQ to 5-OH; 10/8/13 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10/8/13, 02:49 PM
I Have No Life

^ thanks buddy.

Dang that's a nice ****... but holy expensive. :O

Quick Reply: MGW on it's way