Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW + Hot = Lots of noise

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/13, 08:13 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGW + Hot = Lots of noise

Anyone else with an MGW shifter noticing they get tons of gear/engine noise in the cab after you've been driving for a long period of time? I generally don't notice it on my morning commute (about 30 minutes) but when I make a 1+ hour drive, when I get off the freeway and start changing gears it sounds like a rundown lawnmower. Click-clacking in the gears and lots of engine noise coming through. This effect is amplified in hot weather -- even my girlfriend commented on the noise yesterday when we drove 2 hours in 100+ degree heat.

Thoughts? Running stock trans fluid (2013 GT/CS)
Old 9/9/13, 12:29 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Skandocious
Anyone else with an MGW shifter noticing they get tons of gear/engine noise in the cab after you've been driving for a long period of time? I generally don't notice it on my morning commute (about 30 minutes) but when I make a 1+ hour drive, when I get off the freeway and start changing gears it sounds like a rundown lawnmower. Click-clacking in the gears and lots of engine noise coming through. This effect is amplified in hot weather -- even my girlfriend commented on the noise yesterday when we drove 2 hours in 100+ degree heat.

I would check to make sure you have the boot properly seated and is not bound up. This is the only thing i can think of. Maybe it is flexing more in the heat causing it to open a larger gap letting more noise in.

I noticed more noise after installing the MGW shifter, but not that much and it is always consistent... even if it is 67 degrees in the morning or 100+ on the way home.
Old 9/9/13, 04:12 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
I thought MGW isolated this issue and resolved it with the extra padding and the Dynamat supplied?
Old 9/9/13, 09:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
I thought MGW isolated this issue and resolved it with the extra padding and the Dynamat supplied?
I've got all that installed and it still gets noisy when hot. Mind you-- it's not that noisy when it's cold.
Old 9/9/13, 10:43 PM
V6 Member

Mine is the opposite. I get A LOT more transmission noise when the car is cold. I also get a lot of noise in the 800-1500rpm range at low throttle. I'm not positive as to why, but I think it might just be a resonance issue. I plan on switching from the stock trans fluid to Amsoil syncromesh soon which might quiet everything down a little.
Old 9/11/13, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a Steeda Tri-Ax + Barton 2-post shifter bracket... and I also notice some heat when carrying 4 people or when driving a little spirited.

I would think the stock rubberized bracket contributes to some of the heat sinking...
Old 9/11/13, 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Skandocious

It has to be from the boot, u have to check it from top and bottom to make sure its not kinked... its a PITA to do but once u get it right u will know... I've have my MGW for a month ( upgraded from Barton w/ 2 post) and its super quiet feels like a stock u it should be
Old 9/12/13, 07:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If everything is seated properly you won't notice any additional NVH with the street bushing in the rear bracket.
Old 9/21/13, 11:03 PM
V6 Member

Update. After procrastinating for too long I installed the heat shield that came with the MGW shifter -- noise is gone. Also reduced in-cab gear/engine noise by quite a bit. Did not expect it to make such a big difference.
Old 9/22/13, 05:23 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Glad it's all resolved. FWIW, I did apply all the dynamat and the heat shield from the get go. Never had a heat or noise issue. Just pure precision
Old 9/22/13, 09:26 AM

I've noticed the same gear noise and rear end noise when things are heated up after an hour or so driving. I attribute this to the transmission and rear end gears heating up causing a little more gear tolerances and more slop between gears. Most of your comments in this post are also quite possible. Glad you all posted.
Old 9/22/13, 09:45 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Glad it's all resolved. FWIW, I did apply all the dynamat and the heat shield from the get go. Never had a heat or noise issue. Just pure precision
That is exactly how I am doing it when I get mine.
Those parts are included in the kit for a reason.
Old 9/22/13, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by dleblancbu
I've noticed the same gear noise and rear end noise when things are heated up after an hour or so driving. I attribute this to the transmission and rear end gears heating up causing a little more gear tolerances and more slop between gears. Most of your comments in this post are also quite possible. Glad you all posted.
I have the exact same noises after a half hour drive or so. I get Rear axle clunk during shifts or when I hit the gas pedal after coasting. This is a normal backlash I am told. The other noise that I find more annoying is coming from the gear during shifting. The noise seems to travel along the whole driveshaft making it deceiving where it's coming from.

I have the MGW shifter which slightly reduced that noise. Would replacing the gear oil reduce the noise another tad? I doubt it. I put Dynamat all over the trunk to reduce the noise in the back. Not sure if it made any difference. I was thinking of doing the same around the driveshaft. In this case, tape a couple of layers of dynamat directly to the body panel behind the driveshaft, but from outside. I may need to remove the DS. Is all this worth the effort?
Old 9/23/13, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by alkhalil
I have the exact same noises after a half hour drive or so. I get Rear axle clunk during shifts or when I hit the gas pedal after coasting. This is a normal backlash I am told. The other noise that I find more annoying is coming from the gear during shifting. The noise seems to travel along the whole driveshaft making it deceiving where it's coming from.

I have the MGW shifter which slightly reduced that noise. Would replacing the gear oil reduce the noise another tad? I doubt it. I put Dynamat all over the trunk to reduce the noise in the back. Not sure if it made any difference. I was thinking of doing the same around the driveshaft. In this case, tape a couple of layers of dynamat directly to the body panel behind the driveshaft, but from outside. I may need to remove the DS. Is all this worth the effort?
Im chasing the same sound...curious, What Rear LCAs are you running?

Anyone with this sound problem install the dynmat on the shift arm under the car like the video instructions sa to do? I forgot to do this on this car...the last car I did not have this sound and I had added the dynamat on shift arm. Think Im gonna crawl under there and do the same on this car to see if it helps!?
Old 9/23/13, 10:28 PM
V6 Member

Not sure if my noise was the same but I've got dynamite on my support arm. Also have it all over the tunnel and on the bottom of the shifter box. With all that I still had noise when hot, until I installed the heat shield
Old 9/24/13, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nocturnal'14

Im chasing the same sound...curious, What Rear LCAs are you running?

Anyone with this sound problem install the dynmat on the shift arm under the car like the video instructions sa to do? I forgot to do this on this car...the last car I did not have this sound and I had added the dynamat on shift arm. Think Im gonna crawl under there and do the same on this car to see if it helps!?
I have the Whiteline adjustable LCAs. I also have the dynamat on the shift linkages. I doubt any clunking noise can be eliminated with dynamat.
Old 9/25/13, 06:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by alkhalil
I have the Whiteline adjustable LCAs. I also have the dynamat on the shift linkages. I doubt any clunking noise can be eliminated with dynamat.
I have the Metco LCAs with the Delrin rear bushing....Im switching it out to a BMR poly/poly arm on Thursday to see if it helps any. I will report back.
Old 9/26/13, 08:08 PM
GT Member

I dont have the heat shield, i have the street mount and dynomat 0 nvh!
Old 9/28/13, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Metco LCAs out and BMR LCAs in...the delrin bushings caused a lot of noise transfer of the driveline.
The BMR Poly/Poly bushings helped noise/clunking and is nice and smooth now!