Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

LT Header picks for the coyote

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/11, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LT Header picks for the coyote

I've been shopping for a while now and ready to pull the trigger on some LTs. I found a shop that quoted me $375 to install em (not sure if they know what their in for)

It's come down to picking Kooks or Stainless Works. For reasons I'm not sure of, I've not considered the JBAs, BBKs or ARHs. There's probably some others too.

I've decided on 1 7/8" with Cats and the H pipe configuration and leaning towards the Kooks because its like $90 cheaper. Cats are for sure because I want / need to keep it sniff legal, H pipe because I'm old school. 1 7/8" cause bigger is better right?

Now here's 3 questions:
1) Am I making a good pick?

2) What was (is) your choice and why? (State if you have any fitment issues and if you self installed or paid a shop.)

3) Does anyone do a full seam weld on the outside (visible side) of the head flange? Think those would look better but probably cost more $$ too and its purely looks.
Old 4/16/11, 11:18 PM
GT Member

Stainless Works is a great kit if you ask me... But I might be biased

My SW kit fit like a glove said my mechanic and their quality is outstanding

Before/After with no tune changes

I ordered my full exhaust from my friends who own their own exhaust shop, SpeedTech Exhaust. It is essentially a rebranded SW kit. PM me if youre interested and I can make the deal a bit sweeter for you if you like...

PM me if you have any questions about
Old 4/17/11, 12:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm watching all these quite closely as well.

You might want to look at the JPC headers. The quality looks good, they have nice merge collectors with a spike that also use the factory clamps and can even connect to your factory H-pipe. I believe only 1 3/4" for now, with 1 7/8" coming.

I also like the Kooks and ARH. Only Kooks offers the H-pipe though, and look to be the only equal-length design, if that means much. ARH has a nice collector but I'm a little cautious about the slip-fit connections (same as SW). While simple and clean looking, I'm not sure how easy they'd come apart after a few years...

I've seen a few threads recently about minor fitment issues with the SW, may be nothing.

Still waiting for the Pypes step headers to come out to compare.

Would be great to see a dyno comparo of a lower end set like BBK, agianst some of the pricier models. Interesting to see if there are significant gains between brands, or if "headers is headers" on these cars.

I don't think there are any "bad" headers out there, you should be happy with whatever you choose.
Old 4/17/11, 05:46 AM
GT Member

I've been leaning towards the combination you mention from Kooks. I don't think you can go wrong with either one though.
Old 4/17/11, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Stainless Works or Kooks systems. I'm going to go with the Kooks 1-3/4" headers with catted h-pipe(they offer 1-7/8" headers, catted x-pipe, o/r h-pipe, and o/r x-pipe as well), since I already went with their cat-back system... which I like very much! I don't know too much about the Bassani long tubes, but if the vids are any testament they may be a good option too. Keep us posted on your decision.
Old 4/17/11, 08:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Got arh's n love em.
Old 4/17/11, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by jeff s
I'm watching all these quite closely as well.

You might want to look at the JPC headers. The quality looks good, they have nice merge collectors with a spike that also use the factory clamps and can even connect to your factory H-pipe. I believe only 1 3/4" for now, with 1 7/8" coming.

I also like the Kooks and ARH. Only Kooks offers the H-pipe though, and look to be the only equal-length design, if that means much. ARH has a nice collector but I'm a little cautious about the slip-fit connections (same as SW). While simple and clean looking, I'm not sure how easy they'd come apart after a few years...

I've seen a few threads recently about minor fitment issues with the SW, may be nothing.

Still waiting for the Pypes step headers to come out to compare.

Would be great to see a dyno comparo of a lower end set like BBK, agianst some of the pricier models. Interesting to see if there are significant gains between brands, or if "headers is headers" on these cars.

I don't think there are any "bad" headers out there, you should be happy with whatever you choose.
Personally, I'm really surprised at how inexpensive BBK is. They seem to be alone on a whole level down in price compared to, let's say, Kooks or ARH. Especially when paired with a mid pipe.

It makes me wonder if there really is a difference in output. I always assumed "headers are headers" too--as mentioned by jeff s

Last edited by ThreeOhToo; 4/17/11 at 02:41 PM.