Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Lighter flywheel??

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/11, 07:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Lighter flywheel??

There are pros and cons to going to a lighter flywheel...

...but generally speaking, less rotating mass in an engine is better, assuming you're competent at driving a manual transmission

So has anyone done it yet? Did it make any difference in the feel or performance of the engine?
Old 9/1/11, 01:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**** warning - long ****

My mustang is still bone stock, so I cannot comment with direct mustang experience. However, I did replace the flywheel on my g35.

The stock g35 unit is a heavy dual-mass unit (I believe the mustang's flywheel is a dual-mass unit as well), weighing 27lbs IIRC. My replacement flywheel was by JWT, and it weighs 14lbs - so almost 50% weight savings.

There were no measurable gains on the dyno, nor did I expect any. Sprited driving, canyon runs, etc, are much more enjoyable with the lighter flywheel because revmatching is much easier and predictable. But that's the only good thing I can say about going aftermarket.

The aftermarket is a single piece with no damping, so you now hear engine/transmission noises that were previously nearly imperceptible. It's loud enough that I'm actually embarrassed by it; multiple people at drive-thru's have asked me if my car was broken.

Driving around town is a pain in the ***. Because the revs drop so much faster, lazily shifting is an issue. If the a/c is on, it's even harder to drive. In the summer, I hardly ever drive my g35 anymore. It's got no ***** down low, partially due to my exhaust mods, but mostly due to the flywheel.

And at the drag strip, my sixty foots suffered horribly. After the flywheel, my launches went from 2.1's on street tires to 2.3's, with a rare dip into the 2.2's. With drag radials, I have seen a best of a 1.895, but a stock flywheel would be good for another tenth, at least.

I've considered a lightened unit for the 5.0, because even after 5 months of ownership, I still can't revmatch well. The engine revs way too slowly. I find that interesting because the gaps in gears 2 through 5 are almost identical to the same gears in my g35 - so revmatching should be comparable between the two cars. However, all the other tradeoffs simply make a lightened flywheel not worth it IMO.
Old 9/2/11, 07:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by t-ray
**** warning - long ****

My mustang is still bone stock, so I cannot comment with direct mustang experience. However, I did replace the flywheel on my g35.

The stock g35 unit is a heavy dual-mass unit (I believe the mustang's flywheel is a dual-mass unit as well), weighing 27lbs IIRC. My replacement flywheel was by JWT, and it weighs 14lbs - so almost 50% weight savings.

There were no measurable gains on the dyno, nor did I expect any. Sprited driving, canyon runs, etc, are much more enjoyable with the lighter flywheel because revmatching is much easier and predictable. But that's the only good thing I can say about going aftermarket.

The aftermarket is a single piece with no damping, so you now hear engine/transmission noises that were previously nearly imperceptible. It's loud enough that I'm actually embarrassed by it; multiple people at drive-thru's have asked me if my car was broken.

Driving around town is a pain in the ***. Because the revs drop so much faster, lazily shifting is an issue. If the a/c is on, it's even harder to drive. In the summer, I hardly ever drive my g35 anymore. It's got no ***** down low, partially due to my exhaust mods, but mostly due to the flywheel.

And at the drag strip, my sixty foots suffered horribly. After the flywheel, my launches went from 2.1's on street tires to 2.3's, with a rare dip into the 2.2's. With drag radials, I have seen a best of a 1.895, but a stock flywheel would be good for another tenth, at least.

I've considered a lightened unit for the 5.0, because even after 5 months of ownership, I still can't revmatch well. The engine revs way too slowly. I find that interesting because the gaps in gears 2 through 5 are almost identical to the same gears in my g35 - so revmatching should be comparable between the two cars. However, all the other tradeoffs simply make a lightened flywheel not worth it IMO.
Wow...excellent post... After readng that, I suspect the experience with the Mustang might be similar...expecially since Both cars rely on the same kind of dual mass setup (something I didn't think of).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Old 9/2/11, 08:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

He is 100% right.

An aluminum driveshaft, lighter brakes, and lighter wheels are all WAY better places to remove rotating mass in my opinion.
Old 9/2/11, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I remember correctly GT flywheel is single mass and V6 is dual-mass. Going to a single mass flywheel on V6 may cause the NVH that t-ray described because V6's are by nature not very smooth but with a V8 don't believe you will have the same problem.
Old 9/2/11, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by newpony
If I remember correctly GT flywheel is single mass and V6 is dual-mass. Going to a single mass flywheel on V6 may cause the NVH that t-ray described because V6's are by nature not very smooth but with a V8 don't believe you will have the same problem.
I cannot speak for NVH but I can say that clutch chatter and the driveability issues posted above are for sure things to consider.
Old 9/6/11, 07:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great input here...lighter brakes are out of the question so what are guys running for lighter wheels? Seems like they're all boat anchors for these cars...or shockingly expensive.
Old 9/7/11, 03:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Check steeda or frpp thread. Theyre talking about wheels. Dave has excellent input.
Old 9/9/11, 01:26 PM
V6 Member

FYI - according to this post, the OE flywheel is 21.5 pounds. That's quite a bit lighter than I expected.

Edit - after further reading, this particular bit of information is fascinating:
Originally Posted by vorshlag
The "heavy flywheel effect" is all in ignition timing. The OEM tune adds 66 degrees of ignition advance in "engine deceleration mode" (off throttle, falling RPMs), which slows the engine responsiveness. He changed this to a normal 12 degrees and wow, what a difference. The engine response SO much more lively! Its easier to rev match downshifts, too. I had no idea that could be in the programming.
I guess that's part of Ford's aggressive fuel saving strategy, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited by t-ray; 9/9/11 at 01:29 PM.
Old 9/9/11, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by t-ray
FYI - according to this post, the OE flywheel is 21.5 pounds. That's quite a bit lighter than I expected.

Edit - after further reading, this particular bit of information is fascinating:

I guess that's part of Ford's aggressive fuel saving strategy, but I don't know for sure.
wow!