Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Least expensive brake upgrade for 2011 GT (Non-Brembo)

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/10, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Change the brake lines to stainless steel, and it will improve the ability to modulate the brakes.

I installed stainless brake lines on my2005

Will do it soon on the 2011
Old 12/9/10, 05:55 PM
GT Member

Call me biased, but I'll be using Amsoil's Series 600 DOT 4 brake fluid.
Old 12/9/10, 07:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
The car is too fast for Brembo's too.... with stock pads on it.

You cooked the pads more than anything, street pads aren't up to track work. The stock brakes aren't bad. Sure Brembo's are better, but like I said you can cook those too on a track.

I carry big brake kits of various types.... I'd recommend starting with some track only pads. I like a Hawk DTC60/HT10 or DTC70/DTC60 setup for track work, and then get some good street pads since you fried yours. I'd recommend a set of Hawk HPS. Add good lines if you want, and upgrade that fluid and you'll be surprised how well the stock brakes can work on track days.
What about Hawks street/track pads? When I go to the track we do 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off. I don't need race pads for 20 minute sprints do I?
Old 12/9/10, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ducky
What about Hawks street/track pads? When I go to the track we do 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off. I don't need race pads for 20 minute sprints do I?
You mean HP Plus? Well, I know what they claim, but they aren't really very good dual purpose pads. They have a lot of bite, but don't take heat particularly well on a big car. They can work ok for your use *if* you were in say a Honda, but not so much in a Mustang, especially on a track that isn't already pretty easy on brakes.

The BEST dual duty pad, and frankly the only one I've found that really can do both, are Ferodo DS2500's, but they only make them for Brembo calipers--and they still aren't full race grade.

20 minutes isn't a lot of time. But it's enough that you can cook brakes on a fast car that with a driver is well over 3500 pounds.
Old 12/10/10, 07:21 PM
GT Member

You mean HP Plus? Well, I know what they claim, but they aren't really very good dual purpose pads. They have a lot of bite, but don't take heat particularly well on a big car. They can work ok for your use *if* you were in say a Honda, but not so much in a Mustang, especially on a track that isn't already pretty easy on brakes.

The BEST dual duty pad, and frankly the only one I've found that really can do both, are Ferodo DS2500's, but they only make them for Brembo calipers--and they still aren't full race grade.

20 minutes isn't a lot of time. But it's enough that you can cook brakes on a fast car that with a driver is well over 3500 pounds.
Laguna Seca is killer because the fastest part of the track is downhill into a 180 degree turn. I am pretty sure the short distance between turns 1 and 2 are what killed my brakes. I'm gonna give pads, fluid, and maybe ducts a shot to see if I can keep my brakes in good working order past a single track day. Do you have any ducting kit recommendations since you don't sell any?
Old 12/13/10, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I actually do have the Steeda kit--it's just hard to get all these parts on my website, since I work pretty much alone.

'10's and '11's are a tough one. Lots of kits, including the Steeda for the older cars (and the older front bumper). The brake/suspension part is the same. I see Agent 47 has a '11 kit--but it requires a California Special bumper cover....

I'm sure the Steeda kit will fit the brake... you just have to figure out how to get the air to the ducting.

I was just looking at my 2011 GT and it's going to be pretty tough to get air in there through that bumper cover, certainly not without cutting it up. Might require a CA Special bumper, or a Boss cover
Old 12/13/10, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

I ran the DS2500's on my STI autocross/HPDE car and ran them on the street for about 1,000 miles and I actually thought they were awesome. FOr a place like Summit Point they did not fade at all(had lines,Motul fluid as well) but then again I wasn't trying to kill the car. As far as autocross they were great...after warming up a little bit. As far as street if it was cold the first stop was long until they were warmed up. I would prob not run them DD but then again the only DD my car did was to the shop, gas, or events! LOL

I look forward to running these same pads on my BOSS for autocross. BTW Sam i may see you at Hershey!! I ran the last event of 2010 in my wifes Camry SE because of ringland failure in my RaceComp sponsored STi...we should talk via PM when you get a chance
Old 12/13/10, 09:21 PM
GT Member

I actually do have the Steeda kit--it's just hard to get all these parts on my website, since I work pretty much alone.

'10's and '11's are a tough one. Lots of kits, including the Steeda for the older cars (and the older front bumper). The brake/suspension part is the same. I see Agent 47 has a '11 kit--but it requires a California Special bumper cover....

I'm sure the Steeda kit will fit the brake... you just have to figure out how to get the air to the ducting.

I was just looking at my 2011 GT and it's going to be pretty tough to get air in there through that bumper cover, certainly not without cutting it up. Might require a CA Special bumper, or a Boss cover
I was actually planning on running the CS lower valance and using the fog light holes as duct intakes. I don't see a 2010+ kit on Agent 47's site though.
Old 12/14/10, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
I ran the DS2500's on my STI autocross/HPDE car and ran them on the street for about 1,000 miles and I actually thought they were awesome. FOr a place like Summit Point they did not fade at all(had lines,Motul fluid as well) but then again I wasn't trying to kill the car. As far as autocross they were great...after warming up a little bit. As far as street if it was cold the first stop was long until they were warmed up. I would prob not run them DD but then again the only DD my car did was to the shop, gas, or events! LOL

I look forward to running these same pads on my BOSS for autocross. BTW Sam i may see you at Hershey!! I ran the last event of 2010 in my wifes Camry SE because of ringland failure in my RaceComp sponsored STi...we should talk via PM when you get a chance
I have DS2500's on my GT... I drive them daily in nice weather, even in temps as low as 22 degrees (which the tires certainly didn't like but the brakes were fine).

And some cars, some very well known cars *cough Z06 for one* come with them OEM...

Were you @ Hershey that last event? I was there, but I wasn't in my Mustang (it was there, I drove it down....) but in a 2010 C6 Grand Sport.
Old 12/14/10, 06:03 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ducky
I was actually planning on running the CS lower valance and using the fog light holes as duct intakes. I don't see a 2010+ kit on Agent 47's site though.
FRPP is coming out with a brake duct kit for the CS fascia. The current Steeda one will probably fit too
Old 12/14/10, 08:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
FRPP is coming out with a brake duct kit for the CS fascia. The current Steeda one will probably fit too
Nice. I think FRPP will be getting a lot more business from me than I expected. Brake ducting, body parts, and blower for sure.
Old 12/15/10, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have DS2500's on my GT... I drive them daily in nice weather, even in temps as low as 22 degrees (which the tires certainly didn't like but the brakes were fine).

And some cars, some very well known cars *cough Z06 for one* come with them OEM...

Were you @ Hershey that last event? I was there, but I wasn't in my Mustang (it was there, I drove it down....) but in a 2010 C6 Grand Sport.

Yes I was there in the wifes black Camry SE (lol people couldn't believe it ran as quick as it did) I def remember a particular gray GS that was FTD or pretty **** close to it both days LOL

I had run a rally blue 06 STi for the last couple of years in the same region and was sponsored by RaceComp Engineering/GTWorx and JRZ Suspension.

Hopefully I get the BOSS in time to run in Oct 11' Hershey as it's a Q3 build. If you would like we can keep in touch and if you want to co drive we can talk about that!
Old 12/15/10, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
Yes I was there in the wifes black Camry SE (lol people couldn't believe it ran as quick as it did) I def remember a particular gray GS that was FTD or pretty **** close to it both days LOL

I had run a rally blue 06 STi for the last couple of years in the same region and was sponsored by RaceComp Engineering/GTWorx and JRZ Suspension.

Hopefully I get the BOSS in time to run in Oct 11' Hershey as it's a Q3 build. If you would like we can keep in touch and if you want to co drive we can talk about that!
The GS was run all 3 heats both days. I was the one driving 1st heat both days, and was slightly quicker than Jason (who ran 2nd heat). Funny you were there, should've come by and said hi. My GT was there, fresh of the National and ProSolo Championships... but it looked pretty incognito as it normally does. No stickers save some stranoparts.com ones on the quarter windows.

I had seen your STi in times past.

I'd certainly not mind a shot @ a Boss 302... and since I'm likely off to ESP next year I'll have a good comparison to put it up against. Knowing what we know about that Boss, I believe there will be some room for improvement. I think that rear bar is just going to be too large, hell I think the 24mm is too large and the second I was done with F-stock for this year I took it off for the adjustable 22.
Old 12/15/10, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

The GS was run all 3 heats both days. I was the one driving 1st heat both days, and was slightly quicker than Jason (who ran 2nd heat). Funny you were there, should've come by and said hi. My GT was there, fresh of the National and ProSolo Championships... but it looked pretty incognito as it normally does. No stickers save some stranoparts.com ones on the quarter windows.

I had seen your STi in times past.

I'd certainly not mind a shot @ a Boss 302... and since I'm likely off to ESP next year I'll have a good comparison to put it up against. Knowing what we know about that Boss, I believe there will be some room for improvement. I think that rear bar is just going to be too large, hell I think the 24mm is too large and the second I was done with F-stock for this year I took it off for the adjustable 22.
Sam sounds good... Let me know when you will be running in the region and I can stob by and say hi. I will be co driving an Intergra Type R in SMF till the Boss gets in!!!!