Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Least expensive brake upgrade for 2011 GT (Non-Brembo)

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/10, 10:38 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Least expensive brake upgrade for 2011 GT (Non-Brembo)

I want better brake feel but I don't want to spend a fortune. I think maybe new pads and a change of fluid would be the most bang for my buck for better brake feel and performance. What are your thoughts? Has anyone out there gone this route yet?
Old 11/23/10, 11:14 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plenty of performance pad options out there.

What brake fluid would you think about changing to?

I'm sure it has DOT4 in it already and you sure don't want to go with silicone.
Old 11/24/10, 09:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pads are certainly the best bet. The cars stops well, even without the Brembos. I would say upgrade to new rotors but I haven't seen a proven case yet. Some 2 piece are lighter in weight but unsure if it's worth the money on a more normal car.
Old 11/24/10, 10:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Change the brake lines to stainless steel, and it will improve the ability to modulate the brakes.

Regarding pad changes, some pads will generate more brake dust and noise than others. So depending on your intended use, you might want to consider something that is more street-oriented rather than race.
Old 11/24/10, 10:28 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Change the brake lines to stainless steel, and it will improve the ability to modulate the brakes.

Regarding pad changes, some pads will generate more brake dust and noise than others. So depending on your intended use, you might want to consider something that is more street-oriented rather than race.
Just make sure they're DOT approved ones (brake lines).
Old 11/24/10, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Pads, lines, fluid.

Pads are what clamp the rotors, they work like clutches--just like not all clutches are the same, pad compounds differ too. Some have more bite, some have different torque curves, etc. I carry a number of different pads, but most commonly use Hawk HPS for street cars, but that also depends on what kind of power you are after. There are stronger pads with trade-offs.

Lines. One of the things the Boss will be getting are different, firmer, brake lines. A set of Stainless Steel lines (I carry Goodridge and Steeda) means more of the hydraulic pressure gets to the calipers and less is lost through brake line flex. Not that it's a HUGE thing, but it does happen.

Fluid. The DOT rating of the fluid does not make a fluid good.... For feel, you want low compressibility. Again it's a hydraulic fluid and you are transferring force through it to the calipers. I sell a lot ATE Super Blue and Type 200 fluids, but my preference personally is Brembo LCF-600. Best pedal feel I've ever had, and it's a high temp fluid too--both dry and wet boiling points.
Old 11/24/10, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Sam,

On a street car, would you recommend the Brembo fluid over the Super Blue? I've never used Brembo, but man, Super Blue in an S2000 was like hitting a brick wall when you slam the brakes, every single time.
Old 11/24/10, 11:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
Sam,

On a street car, would you recommend the Brembo fluid over the Super Blue? I've never used Brembo, but man, Super Blue in an S2000 was like hitting a brick wall when you slam the brakes, every single time.
And Sam, would you comment on the effects of using a high-temperature fluid in a street car in terms of corrosion and moisture absorption? Thanks!
Old 11/24/10, 11:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jimb05
I want better brake feel but I don't want to spend a fortune. I think maybe new pads and a change of fluid would be the most bang for my buck for better brake feel and performance. What are your thoughts? Has anyone out there gone this route yet?
For reference, on my street-driven, occasionally autocrossed '03 Mach 1, I have the stock Brembo rotors and PBR calipers, Hawk Street Performance pads, stainless-steel brake lines, and standard DOT 4 fluid. I noticed a big improvement in the feel and reduction in the time from brake pedal push to clamping. However, I have not measured the improvement, nor have I run at higher speeds on a race track over a weekend. I do have occasionally brake squeal when the brakes are cool and not warmed up.
Old 11/24/10, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sam,

That's like taking a poll on what motor oil to use.

I use the Brembo stuff on the street. You see the difference when you pour it... it's more viscous vs. most fluids that are lighter and pour more like water. I use a lot of ATE, did for years in my own stuff. Still do in my winter beater and other cars I don't expect the same level of performance from.

Brembo fluid isn't a million bucks. It's $19.99 a half-liter. ATE is $12.25-14.50 per liter.... I carry both (and others for that matter).
Old 11/24/10, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Interesting. I'll probably pick up some from you when I get around to changing my pads, which, should actually be shortly. I'm really not happy with the stock pads, they've squeeled worse than any track-worthy pad I've had in the past. Even after bedding when they were new, they still squeel like crazy on slow-rolling stops.

After 11,000 miles, I'm probably close to needing new ones anyhow, might as well step up to some higher quality while I'm at it.
Old 11/24/10, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

good info and a timely thread

I'm also considering a brake upgrade and although I like the Brembo's they limit your in choice of wheels especially 18"

I'll most likely go with the Hawk HPS pads and SS lines and the brembo fluid
when I do my upgrade.

Last edited by zilla8; 11/28/10 at 05:56 AM.
Old 11/24/10, 08:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Interesting. I'll probably pick up some from you when I get around to changing my pads, which, should actually be shortly. I'm really not happy with the stock pads, they've squeeled worse than any track-worthy pad I've had in the past. Even after bedding when they were new, they still squeel like crazy on slow-rolling stops.
Given that stock pads are generally designed for low noise, did you ever get it diagnosed at a dealership? Maybe something else was going on to produce the noise.

After 11,000 miles, I'm probably close to needing new ones anyhow, might as well step up to some higher quality while I'm at it.
On my 2007 GT (which I suspect had different pads as compared to the 2011 GT), I had over 49000 miles and still had usable material on the fronts and rears. My car was a daily driver that did not see any track time, however.
Old 11/25/10, 12:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Great thread. I'm impressed w/the non brembo brakes to the point that i'll probably just upgrade the pads & fluid for now. Would love to find cost efficient cross drilled rotors for the front eventually, though.
Old 11/26/10, 06:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Given that stock pads are generally designed for low noise, did you ever get it diagnosed at a dealership? Maybe something else was going on to produce the noise.

I had them check it out during an oil change, and they said "all's normal" and even charged me $19.99 for the inspection. As far as I knew, brakes were covered until 12month/12,000miles
Old 11/26/10, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by essque
Great thread. I'm impressed w/the non brembo brakes to the point that i'll probably just upgrade the pads & fluid for now. Would love to find cost efficient cross drilled rotors for the front eventually, though.
Stay away from drilled rotors, they are all bling. In fact the performance is less given the loss of swept area and turbulence in the cooling vanes. If you want a cooler looking rotor and something that helps with wet weather stopping and lessens the grooving some see--then you want slotted only.

I know a lot of "high end" cars come with drilled brakes. But those brakes aren't exactly your run of the mill cast rotors--and you'll also see racing versions of those same cars do NOT use drilled rotors. FWIW I also saw the other day that a $400k Ferrari 599GTB with a $31k HGTE handling kit doesn't have cruise control!!!!!!
Old 11/26/10, 12:38 PM
V6 Member

Any issues/changes using a higher viscosity fluid with the factory ABS function?

Last edited by Drew2000; 11/26/10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11/29/10, 09:02 AM

Great thread. I'll be getting back to you Sam for my brake upgrades. Can't beat a winner. Thanks for all the great info.
Steve
Old 12/9/10, 02:06 AM
GT Member

I'm glad I found this thread. I absolutely cooked my brakes on Laguna and they have no been the same sense. I already need pads, rotors, and lines for sure, I just haven't been sure what to get.

For those of you without the Brembo's, take my word for it, the car is too fast for the brakes on a track. Hopefully pads and fluid can fix the fade until I get bigger wheels and move up to a big brake kit.
Old 12/9/10, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

The car is too fast for Brembo's too.... with stock pads on it.

You cooked the pads more than anything, street pads aren't up to track work. The stock brakes aren't bad. Sure Brembo's are better, but like I said you can cook those too on a track.

I carry big brake kits of various types.... I'd recommend starting with some track only pads. I like a Hawk DTC60/HT10 or DTC70/DTC60 setup for track work, and then get some good street pads since you fried yours. I'd recommend a set of Hawk HPS. Add good lines if you want, and upgrade that fluid and you'll be surprised how well the stock brakes can work on track days.

Quick Reply: Least expensive brake upgrade for 2011 GT (Non-Brembo)