Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

JLT or Steeda CAI

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/13, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang5o
Impressive numbers.

Who did your tune and with what type of tuner?
SCT Tuner, with previous employee of SCT, who went on his own:
http://tuningbyjames.com/
Old 9/18/13, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony
SCT Tuner, with previous employee of SCT, who went on his own:
http://tuningbyjames.com/
Thanks! How's drive ability? Any odd idling or anything like that? What kind of MPG's do you get?
Old 9/18/13, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by mustang5o
Thanks! How's drive ability? Any odd idling or anything like that? What kind of MPG's do you get?
Drives phenomenal, cruising feels like stock, when you mash the loud pedal all hell breaks loose. I can show you a video losing traction on highway on a 30 MPH roll, and on the 2-3 shift as well. On the track, she bites nice, thanks to the suspension parts, idling is like stock, 28 MPG highway with cruise control set at 65 MPH, in town I average about 13 MPG. James has a history, with SCT, and if you give him a call he can tell you about some of these other so called tuners.
Old 9/19/13, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony
Drives phenomenal, cruising feels like stock, when you mash the loud pedal all hell breaks loose. I can show you a video losing traction on highway on a 30 MPH roll, and on the 2-3 shift as well. On the track, she bites nice, thanks to the suspension parts, idling is like stock, 28 MPG highway with cruise control set at 65 MPH, in town I average about 13 MPG. James has a history, with SCT, and if you give him a call he can tell you about some of these other so called tuners.
Thanks! Video is always good. If this is getting too off topic or in the realm of HiJacking the thread, feel free to PM me.
Old 10/5/13, 04:33 PM
GT Member

Well I made my decision and I went with the Steeda CAI and the SCT X3 tuner, and as far as I can tell I really like the outcome of my decision, the car feels quite a bit faster, it feels like it easily tops out the front suspension now under heavy exceleration. And wow the sound the car makes when you mash the pedal is intoxicating. I have to run the track apps and see what kind of progress I've made, at least the butt dyno says I done good.

Lee
Old 10/6/13, 04:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DinoDoc
Well I made my decision and I went with the Steeda CAI and the SCT X3 tuner, and as far as I can tell I really like the outcome of my decision, the car feels quite a bit faster, it feels like it easily tops out the front suspension now under heavy exceleration. And wow the sound the car makes when you mash the pedal is intoxicating. I have to run the track apps and see what kind of progress I've made, at least the butt dyno says I done good.

Lee
Who's tune? Hopefully you didn't use the canned SCT tune.
Old 10/6/13, 12:13 PM
GT Member

It's Steeda's tunes they put a 93 octane and a 87 octane tune in the tuner for me. Seems to be ok so far. Is there any thing I should be watching out for in the beginning?

Lee
Old 10/6/13, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope. Steeda has good safe tunes. Just enjoy.
Old 10/7/13, 08:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Nope. Steeda has good safe tunes. Just enjoy.
I'm running the 93 octane tune, and have had no issue at all, and now they have tunes for lif, so if you do more mods, they can modify your tune for you!
Old 10/7/13, 01:36 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
+1. The aftermarket CAI's are simply for looks. My last few Mustangs went just as quick/fast at the dragstrip with the factory airbox & aftermarket CAI's. It's the tuning that makes all the power. The factory airbox flows plenty enough for a stock or mildly modified 5.0L. Once you're wildly modified, then add the CAI to your list if you must.
Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
This is merely NA cars, yours (which I think is F/I) a CAI will help quite a bit. Increase boost around .5-1PSI and help with cooling. The CAI does increase HP but its negligible on the N/A cars and most of that is based upon the ability of the tuner. I would recommend you going with a better tuner like VMP or Lund. If you go for looks the JLT CF or Airaid CF hands down look the best, but that's simply for looks of course.
Originally Posted by Stage_3
Yes, my car has a supercharger. Not only does the cai help, but the larger opening to the throttle body helps as well, thus increasing air. I would more than likely go with the JLT Big Air cai or (MAYBE) go with the Roush. And, I would use either VMP, Lund or AED for tuning.
So what your saying is I should save my money with the CAI and just get a tuner, what about a drop in K&N filter element, I know they flow better then stock. I have a really good shop here in Orlando that's known for mustangs Lamotta Performance. I was thinking about calling them and getting the car dyno-tuned instead of just buying a tuner and getting a mail order tune?
Originally Posted by tj@steeda
So, then it proves that a cai will improve performance, especially in a supercharged car. That is what I thought. Thanks TJ!
Originally Posted by Fudge
I'm running the 93 octane tune, and have had no issue at all, and now they have tunes for lif, so if you do more mods, they can modify your tune for you!
I just wanted to point out a couple points: Before I had my Maggie put on, I had an AirRaid CAI with stock tune (venturi tube left in). Paired with my Borla Catback, I felt a "slight" increase in the butt dyno, but mostly it was better airflow resulting in better sound.

Post Maggie install, I had various conversations with Magnuson directly. I thought about leaving my AirRaid CAI on, but they (spoke to Maggie engineers directly) explained to me that through their research, the BEST numbers they produced was with the STOCK FACTORY AIRBOX, with a KnN panel filter.

Thus, this is what they provided in their SC kit and is what I am running. I have to put my faith somewhere, and I trust the Magnuson engineers know what they're talking about. I have since sold my AirRaid and plan on running the stock airbox with KnN setup for some time...at least until my next major mod

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/7/13 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10/7/13, 04:01 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,707 Likes on 1,217 Posts
[QUOTE=FromZto5;6697481]
Post Maggie install, I had various conversations with Magnuson directly. I thought about leaving my AirRaid CAI on, but they (spoke to Maggie engineers directly) explained to me that through their research, the BEST numbers they produced was with the STOCK FACTORY AIRBOX, with a KnN panel filter. Thus, this is what they provided in their SC kit and is what I am running. I have to put my faith somewhere, and I trust the Magnuson engineers know what they're talking about.
Very interesting.
Old 10/7/13, 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=FromZto5;6697481]

I just wanted to point out a couple points:

Before I had my Maggie put on, I had an AirRaid CAI with stock tune (venturi tube left in). Paired with my Borla Catback, I felt a "slight" increase in the butt dyno, but mostly it was better airflow resulting in better sound.

Post Maggie install, I had various conversations with Magnuson directly. I thought about leaving my AirRaid CAI on, but they (spoke to Maggie engineers directly) explained to me that through their research, the BEST numbers they produced was with the STOCK FACTORY AIRBOX, with a KnN panel filter. Thus, this is what they provided in their SC kit and is what I am running. I have to put my faith somewhere, and I trust the Magnuson engineers know what they're talking about.

I have since sold my AirRaid and plan on running the stock airbox with KnN setup for some time...at least until my next major mod
Others would beg to differ:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...cai-build.html
Old 10/7/13, 07:44 PM
I Have No Life

Thank you for the article. My only thought is that the article was old, so perhaps magnuson did more research and tried to come up with a CAI that would produce more gain than the stock box... However, I literally just spoke to them about a week or 2 ago. Perhaps their design analysis yielded the best gain out of the stock box? Those were specifically the words I got from magnuson during my discussion with them. I will call them sometime this week to get their input.

Edit: after thinking about this more, it has to do with the tune, or the skill of the tuner. Perhaps magnuson is not able to replicate the tune that svtp had at that time? Hmmm

In the end, as far as I'm concerned, 520 - 530 rwhp is PLENTY. Lol. Can I get more hp with a CAI/tune or perhaps a smaller pulley/tune? Sure. But then I'd really be pushing the limits of the "stock" setup in my 5.0 (internals, clutch, etc). As my car sits right now, it's very "safe", as proven by magnusons stock tune (they offer 5 yr warranties on powertrain post install).

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/7/13 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10/7/13, 09:48 PM

No problem. You might find this one of interest as well:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...r-install.html
I found both articles of interest as I was doing my FI research around that time. The Magnuson was on my top 3 list.
Sorry for the thread derailment.
Old 10/8/13, 04:41 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by speednut
No problem. You might find this one of interest as well: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...r-install.html I found both articles of interest as I was doing my FI research around that time. The Magnuson was on my top 3 list. Sorry for the thread derailment.
Yes I am quite aware of that install thread. It's one of 2 or 3 that I referenced... It's what helped me determine that the install was "easy" lol

Btw, did you end up going FI? I spent a couple years researching before pulling the trigger. So glad I did.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/8/13 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10/8/13, 12:14 PM
GT Member

Talking

Just a quick update:
After my install and diving the car for a few days I noticed that I had picked up that miss during idle feeling, being peranoid from all the negative talk about CAI's I called Gus at Steeda and we talked about it. I mentioned the miss at idle and was worried that my tune was some how off, Gus suggested that I check the alignment of the MAF housing to intake tube, I did some minor adjustments and also removed the sound tube ( it was too loud with it installed ) and my drive into work today was perfect, no more miss at idle and when I stabbed the loud pedal it sounded just right. So if you do get a CAI make sure your tubes are as nicely lined up as possible. I can't wait for the drive home.
Old 10/8/13, 02:44 PM
I Have No Life

Just a quick update:
After my install and diving the car for a few days I noticed that I had picked up that miss during idle feeling, being peranoid from all the negative talk about CAI's I called Gus at Steeda and we talked about it. I mentioned the miss at idle and was worried that my tune was some how off, Gus suggested that I check the alignment of the MAF housing to intake tube, I did some minor adjustments and also removed the sound tube ( it was too loud with it installed ) and my drive into work today was perfect, no more miss at idle and when I stabbed the loud pedal it sounded just right. So if you do get a CAI make sure your tubes are as nicely lined up as possible. I can't wait for the drive home.
I drove Marilyn today as well. Can't wait to romp on it on the way home

Congrats on the fix... good thing you'll be throwing it away next year when you get an SC
Old 10/8/13, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Yes I am quite aware of that install thread. It's one of 2 or 3 that I referenced... It's what helped me determine that the install was "easy" lol

Btw, did you end up going FI? I spent a couple years researching before pulling the trigger. So glad I did.
I did. Roush TVS2300 Phase 3
Old 10/8/13, 04:47 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,707 Likes on 1,217 Posts
[QUOTE=speednut;6697649]
Originally Posted by FromZto5
I don't have a Maggie, Burton does.
I have a Roush TVS 2.3.
Old 10/8/13, 05:33 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by speednut
I did. Roush TVS2300 Phase 3
Nice. The roush ph3 was one of those on my top of list.

Quick Reply: JLT or Steeda CAI