5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

JBA H pipe arriving today

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/13, 08:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
JBA H pipe arriving today

Figure Ill use this to update and post my experiences with installing it and what it sounds like. Ill have a video of before and after sounds.

I will be installing the JBA H pipe with Cat Delete as we don't need to get smog certified or whatever the F it is here in Michigan. Already have GT500 Axel backs on it.

Not using a lift, but good ole' jack stands, should be interesting. After a bit of a mix up, the package looks like its still on track to arrive today and ill start work when i get home.

Also got a new tune through AM for the adjustment.
Old 5/3/13, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's the difference between this and the stock H pipe with cat deletes from Jegs?
Old 5/3/13, 11:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
is it on yet?
Old 5/3/13, 12:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Interested to hear before/after

On a sidenote, noticed you have just the Ford racing springs per your signature? How do you feel the ride is (assuming you have OEM dampers)?
Old 5/3/13, 03:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
what's the difference between this and the stock H pipe with cat deletes from Jegs?
the tubing is a bit larger.
Old 5/3/13, 03:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
is it on yet?

sadly no and it wont be probably till next week now. A mess up with my entering the wrong zipcode and ups being lazy.

so i wont get it till monday and to be on the safe side i dont want to put it on till the weekend if i get stuck on something, or god for bid something breaks.
Old 5/3/13, 03:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Interested to hear before/after

On a sidenote, noticed you have just the Ford racing springs per your signature? How do you feel the ride is (assuming you have OEM dampers)?
its rough, feel more bumps in the road, plus i have low pro tires on as well.
Old 5/3/13, 05:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by rmurer
its rough, feel more bumps in the road, plus i have low pro tires on as well.
I'd expect that, how about damping? Feel it's under-damped with the OEM struts/shocks? Only street driving so far?
Old 5/6/13, 06:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Alright well finally got my H pipe today. Was pumped to try to get it installed today. Get the car jacked up and put on jack stands. Shimmy under the car to start work.

If you follow the instructions that are on AM, they really arn't helpful for atleast 2011 GT. First in the instructions they tell you the the large clamps that have to bolts your suppose to slide onto towards the H pipe. Well this wrong, you slide them away. Took my probably 35mins to figure this out.

moved on to the other end of the H pipe which has the a clamp on each tube. Same clamps that hold the axle backs to the rest of the exhaust. Well the bolt that you need to get to is facing the bottom of the car which gives you 3/4" of room to work with. Eventually got one loosened up. Felt like i spent more time than it was worth so i moved onto where the cats connected to the headers..

YEAH NO. Each connector has 2 bolts, that are practically impossible to reach let alone get any leverage to break them free. So that was a lost battle.

At this point i was like well atleast i can get the H pipe in place and have someone do the cat deletes. Go to do the other clamp on the passenger side and the threaded part was bent from god knows what. Tried to straighten it out and it snapped. Even so this side was harder to loosen the nut at all. another snug/tight fit.

So after is all said and done, got no where, Ford apparently doesn't want to do your own work. Taking it to have someone else do it.
Old 5/6/13, 06:30 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Hope it works out...JBA has a history of good sounding & poor fitting pipes.
Old 5/6/13, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just experienced this installing a jba x pipe. I currently only have the x pipe on with the stock cats and plan on having the cat deletes installed by the shop I work at. I plan on getting it tuned this week as well.
Old 5/8/13, 09:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MJJ
Hope it works out...JBA has a history of good sounding & poor fitting pipes.
Its not poor fitting that was the issue, it was poor design by ford to be able to take the old crap out! lol

Originally Posted by G Wrecks
I just experienced this installing a jba x pipe. I currently only have the x pipe on with the stock cats and plan on having the cat deletes installed by the shop I work at. I plan on getting it tuned this week as well.

Yeah i got a price from a family friend and they'll do the cat delete, h pipe and im having them take off the resonators while they have it on the lift all for about 100$.

One place could only do the H pipe and they said 175$ lol. I almost undid my pants so they could just screw me right there.
Old 5/8/13, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's a great deal man... get er done!
Old 5/8/13, 09:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by G Wrecks
That's a great deal man... get er done!
happening tomorrow after work so it shouldn't be long! I can't wait to hear the different tone.
Old 5/8/13, 04:41 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rmurer
Its not poor fitting that was the issue, it was poor design by ford to be able to take the old crap out! lol
Well update us AFTER they are installed to let us know about how well they fit (lol),

In all seriousness I am sure they will sound great and fit well.
Old 5/9/13, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

So no tune?
Old 5/10/13, 11:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by devildog1679
So no tune?
No im getting tune through bama/american muscle well actually i have it just waiting for the pipes to be put on.

Kinda funny when i call the shop to get an update and they tell me its slow going... i laughed and said now you see why i gave up.
Old 5/12/13, 02:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Ended up finally getting finished on friday. i would say its 50% louder now. I like it. One thing i've noticed, and i can't tell if its an exhaust leak or just the way the car sounds now with no cats. But it kinda of sounds like some sort of exhaust leak but not really... kinda hard to describe. Will be getting a follow up video tomorrow when its nicer out and ill post the comparison.
Old 5/13/13, 03:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just got my cat deletes installed today and hope to get it tuned by this Friday. It sounds WAY better now. Probably way too loud for a lot of people, but I love it. I'll try to post a video later tonight.
Old 5/13/13, 05:39 PM
Cobra R Member

here's the clip

Quick Reply: JBA H pipe arriving today