Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Introducing the fully rigid shifter mount system from GapRider Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/15, 06:15 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introducing the fully rigid shifter mount system from GapRider Racing

The fully rigid, all steel, shifter mounting system from GapRider Racing.
Introductory pricing $129.

Eliminate that mushy feeling of the factory mounting system. Enjoy a firm,
rigid shifter that eliminates missed shifts caused by unwanted shifter body movement.
Completely replaces the factory mounting system!

Make your stock or aftermarket shifter perform even better.
All parts are manufactured at an
ISO 9001: 2008 certified fabrication facility
right here in the USA. Laser cut and powder coated. Tested on a daily driver.

Ford's OEM shifter mount system has rubber/poly insulated mounts at
both ends which allows the shifter to move around. Designed to squelch
noise and vibration but makes precise, quick shifting difficult.

Old standard T5. Shifter body is integral to transmission case...Rigid.
Improvement mods were shifter only because the shifter body movement was a moot point.

This is an introductory offer, I'd like to get the system out there so people can use it,
test it and give their feedback. I've had it on my daily driver for months with both the stock shifter
and a very popular aftermarket shifter and I love it.
Gen 1 MGW version coming soon.
Old 10/28/15, 07:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm very interested. My concern is noise. How does this part perform in this regard?
Old 10/28/15, 08:09 PM
Former Vendor

It's a good question : ). Since it's aimed at providing a solid, rigid mount, it doesn't absorb noise like the soft, Ford mounts. It's a a choice, quiet and plush or solid and sure. I prefer the latter and that's what this system gives you. To answer directly though, I notice some buzzing around 3000-4000 RPM during moderate acceleration.
Old 11/5/15, 03:54 AM

NVH

Originally Posted by GapRider

The fully rigid, all steel, shifter mounting system from GapRider Racing.
Introductory pricing $129.
Eliminate that mushy feeling of the factory mounting system. Enjoy a firm,
rigid shifter that eliminates missed shifts caused by unwanted shifter body movement.
Completely replaces the factory mounting system!

Make your stock or aftermarket shifter perform even better.
All parts are manufactured at an ISO 9001: 2008 certified fabrication facility
right here in the USA. Laser cut and powder coated. Tested on a daily driver.

Ford's OEM shifter mount system has rubber/poly insulated mounts at
both ends which allows the shifter to move around. Designed to squelch
noise and vibration but makes precise, quick shifting difficult.

Old standard T5. Shifter body is integral to transmission case...Rigid.
Improvement mods were shifter only because the shifter body movement was a moot point.

This is an introductory offer, I'd like to get the system out there so people can use it,
test it and give their feedback. I've had it on my daily driver for months with both the stock shifter
and a very popular aftermarket shifter and I love it. Gen 1 MGW version coming soon.

My experience with NVH is that you may want apply some very thin self adhesive rubberized pads to the mounting points on the transmission or the shifter. I have had good success with this in the past as well as a micro thin coat of VHT. I am talking very thin so that there is no change in rigidity. Try this and see if it takes out the noise or buzzing before you go to market with this.
Old 11/5/15, 06:32 PM
Former Vendor

I appreciate the advice steathv. I'm a little surprised by all the attention on noise because A it's very little noise to me, and B restoring the situation where the shifter body is rigid to the transmission is huge, especially with these somewhat "truck-ish feeling" MT82's we have in our cars.
I am going to try and get a video with some decent audio quality to let people hear for themselves. I've heard "horror" stories about some video on youtube where a rigid shifter in a Coyote stang was really making a lot of noise. Not the case with my setup but if it's a genuine concern with people, I want to alteast let them know what they'd be getting.
Thanks again for the input.
Old 11/22/15, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GapRider
I appreciate the advice steathv. I'm a little surprised by all the attention on noise because A it's very little noise to me, and B restoring the situation where the shifter body is rigid to the transmission is huge, especially with these somewhat "truck-ish feeling" MT82's we have in our cars.
I am going to try and get a video with some decent audio quality to let people hear for themselves. I've heard "horror" stories about some video on youtube where a rigid shifter in a Coyote stang was really making a lot of noise. Not the case with my setup but if it's a genuine concern with people, I want to alteast let them know what they'd be getting.
Thanks again for the input.
Interesting setup, how much clearance is there to the driveshaft? Room for aftermarket driveshaft units?
Old 11/22/15, 10:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Do you have a new Shifting linkage for this? My understanding is that is the real issue with this transmission. Making it sold helps.
Old 11/23/15, 06:30 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
Interesting setup, how much clearance is there to the driveshaft? Room for aftermarket driveshaft units?
Capt you get about 1/2" clearance to the U joint and about 3/4" - 1" to the driveshaft with the stock driveshaft. It would be less if the aftermarket is any bigger of course.
Old 11/23/15, 06:34 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Do you have a new Shifting linkage for this? My understanding is that is the real issue with this transmission. Making it sold helps.
I agree, anything that restores the shifter situation in the T5 style where everything is rigid helps. The first big step is locking down the shifter itself. I get a MUCH more solid, positive feel with my setup.
Old 11/27/15, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am really interested in this. I have the stock shifter and a Barton **** and adaptor.
Old 11/27/15, 06:43 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lsxjunkie
I am really interested in this. I have the stock shifter and a Barton **** and adaptor.
I really like the one I have on my own car. I'm running an introductory $50 off on the site right now if you want one.
Old 11/28/15, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How bad is the install? Doable on jackstands/ramps? Looks like that forward bolt on top of the trans is probably a pain to get to.

Last edited by lsxjunkie; 11/28/15 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11/29/15, 08:35 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lsxjunkie
How bad is the install? Doable on jackstands/ramps? Looks like that forward bolt on top of the trans is probably a pain to get to.
It's not bad, nothing is really difficult to do but you do have to get the car off the ground. I just use a floor jack to get both ends up and secure on jackstands. You're right about that upper, forward bolt, you have to tilt the engine/trans down a couple inches but all that's required for that is loosening up the exhaust clamps where the cat pipes connect to the h pipes and removing the rear trans mount and crossmember (which you have to do to anyway to gain access for installing the shifter brackets)

I'm going to try to get the installation instructions up on the website today.
Old 11/29/15, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor

Installation instructions are available on the website. Click on the downloads tab